2016 EX-L - more sliding door and ignition issues...
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: 2016 EX-L - more sliding door and ignition issues...

2016 EX-L - more sliding door and ignition issues...

Hello,

I just spent a long time looking through all of the issues from years past surrounding sliding doors. Mine appears to be a bit different and as usual the dealer won't investigate unless they can replicate.

So far, without rhyme or reason, my sliding doors and liftgate will intermittently refuse to operate in powered mode. Sometimes I'll open them and they won't close; sometimes they're closed and they won't open.

The facts:
    - When this occurs, neither the keyfob, the dash button, the door handle, nor the buttons in the second row will work.
    - This *always* affects both doors and tailgate at the same time. It's never one independent of another.
    - Sliding the toggle on the dash from 'on' to 'off' to 'on' for the doors used to work but hasn't been the magic ticket for probably a year now.
    - What *does* work, is if I manually open and close the door - afterwards, that door now responds to all of the buttons. However, the other doors won't respond until I also manually reset them.
    - Alternatively, sometimes I'll just let it sit for a few minutes and come back - magically it starts working again.
    - Most of the time, after manually resetting the doors, the clock on the dash has reset itself as if the battery was disconnected.
    - This is happening more and more - probably 3-5 times per week now. It started with once a month.
    - Today, and a few other times in the past, when this occurs the ignition also fails to respond. I can't get it in ACC mode or to cycle on at all, there's zero response to pressing the start/stop button. Radio buttons won't function. No power whatsoever.
    - Additionally, the power lock/unlock won't work from the keyfob or the buttons on the door.
    - This occurs in hot, cold, mild temperatures - no trend there.

The dealer did a battery stress test and that turned up fine. Otherwise, they won't touch it without replication.

It's irrational, but I'm at the point where it's too much of a nuisance to deal with anymore. If I can't get this to start working reliably I'm ready to dump it with only 30k miles on it. Help is much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

DD.
    Weird. I would check the battery cable connections first and make sure they are tight and clean. If that were the problem though, I think you have problems charging the battery and might not be able to start at all. Did you buy the van new, was it ever in any accidents?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, bought new, no accidents, 30k on odo. Battery connections are tight and seated. It's maddening that I can't replicate this on demand for the dealer!

I did find one other random comment in a thread where somebody described these exact symptoms. However, there was no feedback provided and no follow-up so I don't know if they ever resolved it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Several questions come to mind, on separate issues. How long ago did this issue start? Does tapping on the ignition/start switch make it respond? Have you tried sliding the safety switches (on the doors) back and forth a few times, in case it is open/closed when it shouldn't be? Ditto for the safety switch on the dash (assuming the '16 models still have this). Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a period of time, and then reconnecting?
    Last edited by rmyoder; 04-10-2019 at 10:18 PM.
    2012 EX-L, >98k miles, VCMTuner, tint, Honda tow package, and always fresh ATF

It started a few months after purchasing it, but it was extremely rare. It's only gotten worse over time.

Ignition button is completely unresponsive when it's manifested in that way. The only thing that has worked is to just try again after a few minutes.

Haven't checked the child safety latches on the doors, but I will do that. Given that the clock resets and all power is gone, though, I have to imagine it's an electrical fault rather than a hardware toggle that is affecting everything indiscriminately.

I haven't tried disconnecting the battery, but I suppose it's worth a shot! When the dealership performed the battery test they said they ruled out anything to do with it.

csi
    Sounds like there is a short somewhere. Try doing this and see if you are lucky:

https://www.backyardmechanic.org/how...t-any-vehicle/

9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements