Transmission Filter Change DIY 2011-2017 - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums Ė General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transmission Filter Change DIY 2011-2017

Quote Originally Posted by CroMath View Post
    I'm not aware of any maintenance-related document from Honda or anywhere else that actually says that filter should be changed (even though plain old common sense would suggest that changing it sometime would have to be a good thing). It's quite strange that it practically never gets mentioned.
    If you go the the dealership or ask Honda about changing the filter, they will say "it's not serviceable" or "it doesn't exist." The don't care about the important things, they just need to rip you off, like charging $500+ for a front brake job or $3,300 to replace a "leaking" power steering rack...when only a $12 hose needs to be replaced.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

DNK
    Oh
    Someone is a little testy
    Don
    600 Sedan- Past
    79 Prelude- Past
    03 Accord V6 (crashed and past on)
    09 Accord Coupe I4 (Now in Vancouver BC)
    13 Ody (I think it's an LX)
    80 TR7 V8
    13 Z4

Quote Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
    No specified interval. I would change the ATF filter every 50k-60k miles. Clean ATF is more important IMO, change the ATF every 20k-25k under normal driving conditions.
    Thank you - I'm going to be looking to do this shortly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

added to bucket list of preventive maintenance.

thanks

Transmission Filter Change DIY 2011-2017

Im on my third filter. Second time and beyond it was a lot easier to replace. Simple to do so no reason not to change it every few trans drain and fills. Iím averaging about 60K miles per filter. Seeing Honda believes they are not needed to be changed itís an OK interval for me. I pull the battery and battery tray for this service. Makes it very easy to get at it.

After the fact itís fun to cut open filter to look for potential trouble. I typically only find a very fine powder like material mixed with the fluid. I think itís left over clutch band and disk material that has abraded away some. Very little of this so Iím fairly confident the trans will continue to treat me right.
    Last edited by jnissen; 04-16-2019 at 10:51 PM.

The filter is there for forensics, not maintenance. MrRanger, did you do any analysis on what was in the filter when you took it out?

Quote Originally Posted by egads View Post
    The filter is there for forensics, not maintenance.
    Could this really be true? A filter whose purpose is only to record the condition of the transmission internals/transmission fluid? This is a bit of a mind-bending concept for me.

This filter could serve a diagnostic purpose, because we know that Honda has had reliability concerns in the past and they'd legitimately like to know what's going on in there. But it could conceivably be used to tattle on an owner who claims that they've kept up on maintenance but in reality hasn't. Which is good, I suppose. It keeps the warranties the rest of us enjoy within reach.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

Could this really be true? A filter whose purpose is only to record the condition of the transmission internals/transmission fluid? This is a bit of a mind-bending concept for me.

This filter could serve a diagnostic purpose, because we know that Honda has had reliability concerns in the past and they'd legitimately like to know what's going on in there. But it could conceivably be used to tattle on an owner who claims that they've kept up on maintenance but in reality hasn't. Which is good, I suppose. It keeps the warranties the rest of us enjoy within reach.
    I sensed a hint of humor with the forensics comment, lol. I was hoping we’d get a pic of a cut open filter too but I couldn’t put a funny spin on it asking like Egads

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthrj18 View Post

I sensed a hint of humor with the forensics comment, lol. I was hoping we’d get a pic of a cut open filter too but I couldn’t put a funny spin on it asking like Egads
    Hmm... maybe I am reading things a little bit too literally today...
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

Oddly, iím dead serious. In the second generation, where transmission failure was almost assured, one of the criteria for dealers doing warranty replacements was to drain the fluid through a filter and send the filter and itís contents with the failed trans.

Now I think if any of you want to be that obsessive (or proactive) and change it on some schedule, go right ahead. I am also curious about the contents of the removed filter. Is it worth it?

Oh fudge.

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12