Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Transmission Filter Change DIY 2011-2017

13K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  Ticket 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Great video - thanks for going to the trouble of making it!

#6 ·
No easily serviceable filter in the 5-speed transmissions, you have to take the transmission out to replace it.

The video is on the 6-speed transmissions, which the 2011-2013 touring models and all 2014-2017 odysseys have. 2011-2013 LX, EX, EX-L have the 5-speed.

#20 · (Edited)
Im on my third filter. Second time and beyond it was a lot easier to replace. Simple to do so no reason not to change it every few trans drain and fills. I’m averaging about 60K miles per filter. Seeing Honda believes they are not needed to be changed it’s an OK interval for me. I pull the battery and battery tray for this service. Makes it very easy to get at it.

After the fact it’s fun to cut open filter to look for potential trouble. I typically only find a very fine powder like material mixed with the fluid. I think it’s left over clutch band and disk material that has abraded away some. Very little of this so I’m fairly confident the trans will continue to treat me right.

#22 ·
The filter is there for forensics, not maintenance.
Could this really be true? A filter whose purpose is only to record the condition of the transmission internals/transmission fluid? This is a bit of a mind-bending concept for me.

This filter could serve a diagnostic purpose, because we know that Honda has had reliability concerns in the past and they'd legitimately like to know what's going on in there. But it could conceivably be used to tattle on an owner who claims that they've kept up on maintenance but in reality hasn't. Which is good, I suppose. It keeps the warranties the rest of us enjoy within reach.

#25 ·
Oddly, i’m dead serious. In the second generation, where transmission failure was almost assured, one of the criteria for dealers doing warranty replacements was to drain the fluid through a filter and send the filter and it’s contents with the failed trans.

Now I think if any of you want to be that obsessive (or proactive) and change it on some schedule, go right ahead. I am also curious about the contents of the removed filter. Is it worth it?

#32 ·
Oddly, i’m dead serious. In the second generation, where transmission failure was almost assured, one of the criteria for dealers doing warranty replacements was to drain the fluid through a filter and send the filter and it’s contents with the failed trans.

Now I think if any of you want to be that obsessive (or proactive) and change it on some schedule, go right ahead. I am also curious about the contents of the removed filter. Is it worth it?
I saw 2nd Gen Ody with the tranny all tore apart many years ago and stayed far away from Odys for many years. Am on my 2nd Ody now and those Transmissions still scare me!

#28 ·
Yes I’ve posted in the past the cut open filter contents. I’ve not found any problems inside other than a dark oil residue believed to be clutch band tailings! Very small amount so not a concern but glad I’ve changed it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
When I do my 4454 Trucool install I'm going to replace the OEM unit and install a Magnefine at the end of the loop as well in an easier to get too location. That one I'll change more often.

This video was my blueprint for how I'm going to tackle the OEM when I get too it.

Thanks for sharing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.