What is this part and how do I change it?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: What is this part and how do I change it?

What is this part and how do I change it?

Hi Everyone,
    This part is inside the rear driver side spring and it looks like its function is to cushion the control arm in a bottoming out situation if the spring gets completely compressed. This one on my 2012 TE looks pretty beaten up. Anyone know the part number and how to change it? Sorry that the picture is rotated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Odyssey.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	147515
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is this part and how do I change it?-odyssey.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

It's a stop bumper, screwed in. Easily replaced. Removed mine when I added air supports.
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring - Totalled Hidden Content
    2012 Odyssey Touring

There is a bolt inside the bushing. Look through the bottom of the bushing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Yes, it's a bump stop, and you figured exactly right on its purpose. But they are not supposed to fail like that so quickly (assuming your 2012 does not have 300k miles yet). It also looks like it failed not from contstant beating over a long lifetime, but from a single bad moment.

Could it be that you had the van heavily loaded (or towing) and maybe hit a pothole or something at speed?

Anyway, the relevance is that if you intend to sometimes drive heavily loaded in the future, you might avoid this from happening again by replacing the bump stop with an alternative. I saw it on this site recently - clever solution that is basically a hollow rubber thing that replaces the bump stop, and is inflated. It engages the spring mount at a much earlier time than that plastic bump stop does, and you can tune its springiness by adjusting inflation pressure. Since you need to replace the old bump stop anyway, you're half way there on the upgrade.

And BTW, actually, the bump stop is still there. It will still do its job to some extent until it breaks off completely. So if you want to delay this, you could probably get away with it. But with a relatively new 2012 TE, you probably want to get this fixed. If the bump stop were not there, more damage would occur when contact happens.
    2011 Odyssey LX, 106k miles
    1999 Odyssey EX, 234k miles, original owner

Honda Part No.: 52722-SHJ-A03 is what I found:

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...-absorber.html

You might consider going away from the OEM piece and trying out something a little tougher or more substantial, like the Timbren SES. [LINK]
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CroMath View Post
    You might consider going away from the OEM piece and trying out something a little tougher or more substantial, like the Timbren SES. [LINK]
    Yes, that's the clever aftermarket alternative I was referring to in post #4.

I have not used it, and don't need it based on how we use our Odysseys, but am interested in clever solutions and that looks pretty cool to me.
    2011 Odyssey LX, 106k miles
    1999 Odyssey EX, 234k miles, original owner

Any idea of a cost? I found a ton of dealers in my location - but curious to know the cost of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cyphon21 View Post
    Any idea of a cost? I found a ton of dealers in my location - but curious to know the cost of this.
    Amazon says about $215 in the States. [LINK]
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

Amazon says about $215 in the States. [LINK]
    Thanks! I didn't even think to check Amazon

I heard a lot of positive feedback on the Timbren SES bump stop. Airbags work well but man they squeak like mad.

If you do a lot of hauling or have full passengers in the van frequently, you should look into the timbren SES bump stop. Clearly, OEM bump stop failed lol

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements