2014 Odyssey Touring Elite Eating Tires
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Odyssey Touring Elite Eating Tires

Our 14 came with Michelin Primacy tires. My wife only drives about 15 miles a day and only puts 9,000 miles a year on the van. She only services it about once a year when the 7,500 mile service light turns on. She gets the tires rotated but only every 7,500 miles. She's had it aligned once when we put the second set of tires on. Neither the steering wheel nor the brake pedal vibrate. The Michelin tires didn't make it 21,000 miles and 28 months. We put General Altamax on at that time. They've made it about 27,000 miles. Van alignment checks out. Im now going to be on my third set of tires at 48,000 miles. Anyone else having similar issues? What tires work best for you? I get 60,000 miles out of my Goodyear tires on my truck.
    Last edited by uvachief; 04-17-2019 at 06:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Not unusual from posts I’ve seen here as well as my own experience. My 2017 stock tires were shot at 20k 2 years of service, flat and hot FL driving. Same brand as yours. I replaced with Goodyear Assurance ComforTred. It’s an 80k mile tire that’s holding up very well on my CX5. My CX5 chewed up and spit out the stock Yokohama tires at 30k. 35k on the Goodyear’s on my CX5 and they look and ride fantastic. More than half of the tread left as promised. Same brand is nice and quiet on the Odyssey. Time will tell if they hold up as well under that behemoth.

I'm also using the Goodyears. I've also found that overinflating to about 38psi cold prevents the inner and outer edge wear that is common on most of these vans. It gives a little rougher ride but it seems to wear the tires much more evenly.

That said, most front wheel drive vehicles will wear tires faster than rear wheel drive vehicles, all things being equal.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

My wife and i both drive 2016 Od EX's, hers made it to 13k on the stock Continentals, replaced with Valera Touring which just changed at 27k miles, now riding Valera Touring 2 (Firestone brand i believe)...mine is at 13k with stock Continentals and will need tires in near future

It’s very important to check tire pressures stone cold in the morning before the vehicle has been driven. If you live more than a mile away from a gas station it is likely your tires have never been properly inflated. Having a small compressor at home makes a lot of sense (most folks with minivans have them because they have kids. Kids have a lot of inflatables and usually bicycles) a decent tire gauge is a must as well. When I get a car serviced, they check the tire pressures. (It’s the law at least here in CA) A lot of techs just set every car at 32 all around. If they set them there hot or even warm, they are under inflated when cold. A week or two goes by I realize my fuel mileage has taken a turn for the worse. Time to check them cold in the AM.

Like John Clark, I keep my tires at about 38psi (spec is 36 in my gen) Any more and the center tray rattles.

If you stopped rotating tires, the problem may become more apparent by observing any uneven tire wear. Or if you stop rotating and they all wear out evenly and quickly, then that would indicate the car is good and you need better tires or inflation control.

I generally do this on all my cars ==> rotate only as needed, as I observe uneven wear, which I try to understand and address. And then some of my cars do not allow rotation (staggered wheels, directional tires), and nothing has blown up yet.
    2011 Odyssey LX, 106k miles
    1999 Odyssey EX, 234k miles, original owner

Quote Originally Posted by oldskewel View Post
    If you stopped rotating tires, the problem may become more apparent by observing any uneven tire wear. Or if you stop rotating and they all wear out evenly and quickly, then that would indicate the car is good and you need better tires or inflation control.
    2014 TE. My OEM tires lasted till about 65K miles. And I replaced them because I wanted to, not because it was bald. I would have used it another year.

And because it was OEM tires, I have no tire plan, so I DIY tire rotation, when I have the time and energy. I would say it end up to be 15K miles. And zero alignment done.

Anyhow, the above is good advice to see if there's some other issues.

Who did the alignment? Honestly, I think only the Honda dealership align it the best, vs other tire shops.

This is my 2nd Ody, so I will say Ody does not eat up tires like that.

Wear was completely even for me from shoulder to shoulder, no alignment issues. Air consistently above 35 psi cold. All 4 tires down to the wear bars with rotations every oil change=still goners at 20k. I think it’s heat here in Central FL coupled with the Michelin Primacy tires on there. If I had not rotated them, the front tires would have been done by 13-15k. Wore down much faster than the rears.
    Last edited by Ruthrj18; 04-18-2019 at 07:10 PM.

2014 Odyssey Touring Elite Eating Tires

I’ve never gotten less than 50k out of Michelin’s like that. Get a new tire pressure gauge as something isn’t right. Perhaps you got some knockoff tires made in China. Lots of fake parts out there so wouldn’t be surprised to hear tires are now on that list.

Did you purchase from a reputable dealer.

BTW I’m in Texas so my tires probably see higher heat than yours. Something else is going on.

My 12 TE is lucky to get 25k out of a set, OEM or I also tried 60k warranted Continental and the outcome was the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jnissen View Post
    I’ve never gotten less than 50k out of Michelin’s like that. Get a new tire pressure gauge as something isn’t right. Perhaps you got some knockoff tires made in China. Lots of fake parts out there so wouldn’t be surprised to hear tires are now on that list.

Did you purchase from a reputable dealer.

BTW I’m in Texas so my tires probably see higher heat than yours. Something else is going on.
    You’re right, you likely see much higher heat. Did you use the primacy set though? I’ve seen people reporting better luck with Michelin’s but they weren’t the primacy model. Also purchased from a reputable dealer. My experience doesn’t seem too out of the ordinary based on the other older thread so it didn’t worry me too much. I’m sure the new Goodyear’s will hold up better.

My 2014 TE OEM Michelin MXV4s lasted 40k and were replaced only because we have snow here in the NE and the treads were down to about 4/32s and would have no grip in the white stuff. I could have gone another year if it weren't for dealing with snow. I rotated them every 7500 miles on my driveway and had about 2 alignments done in the first 4 years. The car is driven mostly in city and suburban settings in moderate stop and go traffic and about 3 long road trips a year.
    2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite - Diamond White Pearl/Tan Interior
    2017 BMW 340ix M Sport

My OEM Primacy tires were shot 24,000 miles. Seems the van eats through tires pretty quick, even with proper rotation intervals. I have RT43 tires on now and I should get maybe another year or so if I'm lucky, but I do run winter tires too.

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-20...installed.html

Mine are the slightly lower profile Touring versions. Perhaps that helps. I’m averaging from 50 to 60K miles. Tried Pirelli but only managed about 35K miles.

Agreed on the 38 psi all around, i check them once a week while cold, also have reg rotations/alignment, driving mostly city roads eats them nicely

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast