rear struts
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: rear struts

rear struts

So I got a rear strut leaking and plan on replacing both rears. I've searched the forums here and it seems like the only decent choices are OEM, KYB, and maybe Monroe. The original struts have 72k miles on them now. I'm leaning towards OEM since they've lasted this long, but the cheapskate in me has me drooling over the price of the KYB. Am I missing something here? I don't tow and heavy loads are a rare occasion.

On a side note, for those that have ordered OEM struts, did they come with the bottom rubber bushing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I bought kyb from rock auto and hopefully putting them in tomorrow.

I haven't even opened the box yet.

m4gician
    2012 Touring (Canada)
    2012 Odyssey Touring - Alabaster Silver Metallic -
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    . Full LED Interior Conversion | LED Rear Tail and Reverse Lights | VCM Muzzler 2

News flash! KYB makes the OEM.
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
    News flash! KYB makes the OEM.
    I thought it was Monroe?

m4gician
    2012 Touring (Canada)
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    . Full LED Interior Conversion | LED Rear Tail and Reverse Lights | VCM Muzzler 2

Quote Originally Posted by m4gician View Post
    I thought it was Monroe?

m4gician
    2012 Touring (Canada)
    KYB founded as Kayaba Research Center on November 19, 1919
    Largest production volume of any automotive shock absorber manufacturer in the world
    Facilities in 32 locations in 21 countries, and over 10,000 employees worldwide
    KYB owns 15 production plants in Asia, Europe, and the United States
    Total sales of more than $3.8 billion
    World’s largest supplier of shocks and struts to vehicle manufacturers Supplier to major OEMs including, GM, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Infiniti, Chrysler, Subaru, Toyota, Lexus, and Volkswagen
    KYB Americas operates 2 distribution facilities in North America
    KYB’s highly automated manufacturing lines can switch from producing 1 strut to another in 15 seconds

https://www.kyb.com/about/facts-and-figures/
    2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

My originals lasted abut 65k, and I now have the KYBs (Rock Auto). I am very happy with them, but only about 35k on them so far. I don't think the Honda sticker is worth the extra cost...however, my opinion could change if the KYBs fail early.
    2012 EX-L, >98k miles, VCMTuner, tint, Honda tow package, and always fresh ATF

Largest production volume of any automotive shock absorber manufacturer in the world
    Facilities in 32 locations in 21 countries, and over 10,000 employees worldwide
    World’s largest supplier of shocks and struts to vehicle manufacturers Supplier to major OEMs including, GM, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Infiniti, Chrysler, Subaru, Toyota, Lexus, and Volkswagen
    KYB’s highly automated manufacturing lines can switch from producing 1 strut to another in 15 seconds

yes but many OEM's make for all of the car manufacturers. did KYB make specifically for this car?

m4gician
    2012 Touring (Canada)
    Toronto, ON, Canada

If KYB manufactured the original OEM shock for Honda, I would assume that a replacement KYB shock, made for the same fitment, would be specced identically to the original. I can't see any reason why KYB would make a bunch of other Honda shocks, but not the Ody's... I mean, it's not like we're talking about a Civic Type R or an NSX... The Ody is a 'heart of the line' car - ordinary (and cost effective) in every respect - including the parts used.... and there is no reason for KYB to go back to the drawing board if they already have the specs provided by Honda...

If we were talking about something like new MR shocks, I could see there being a difference, especially with the control algorithm, but no, for simple parts like hydraulic/pneumatic shocks? if KYB is the manufacturer of these OEM parts, then replacement KYBs are identical - except for stickers and maybe paint color...
    Last edited by Navar; 04-20-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    Life is worth living - but not too stupidly please.

DD: '16 T350 LWB EHR - The least 'fun to drive' TwinTurbo. Ever. Also... Best service van. EVER.
    '14 Ody
    '03 Outback
    '98 9000 CSE (70mph + Deer = broken headlight (It's a Saab, whaddaya expect?))
    '89 Si DOHC ZC (4th Engine, 5th will be a K20/24)

Thanks everybody! I'm glad I asked. My wallet is glad I asked too.

Quote Originally Posted by Navar View Post
    If KYB manufactured the original OEM shock for Honda, I would assume that a replacement KYB shock, made for the same fitment, would be specced identically to the original. I can't see any reason why KYB would make a bunch of other Honda shocks, but not the Ody's... I mean, it's not like we're talking about a Civic Type R or an NSX... The Ody is a 'heart of the line' car - ordinary (and cost effective) in every respect - including the parts used.... and there is no reason for KYB to go back to the drawing board if they already have the specs provided by Honda...

If we were talking about something like new MR shocks, I could see there being a difference, especially with the control algorithm, but no, for simple parts like hydraulic/pneumatic shocks? if KYB is the manufacturer of these OEM parts, then replacement KYBs are identical - except for stickers and maybe paint color...
    Just installed the KYBs from RockAuto and they're not the OEMs. The OEMs are most likely OEMspectrum/Monroe.

The KYBs have a slightly wider bushing and obviously only the Honda OEM A11 revision has that really large Dust/oil guard that looks like a giant accordian. Hope that helps!
    Toronto, ON, Canada

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements