Changed rear shocks, pretty easy job and noticing a smoother ride
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Changed rear shocks, pretty easy job and noticing a smoother ride

Changed rear shocks, pretty easy job and noticing a smoother ride

hey guys,

did my rear shocks today. followed this video as a guide:

https://youtu.be/VwIwHAwJPos

I used and ordered the KYB rear shocks from Rock Auto which have slightly different bushing designs Vs the OEM/Honda ones but installed the same.

funny enough in removing the old shocks I notice one of them is the new part number or A11 revision with bigger/longer boot. I'm curious as to why old owner only replaced one but no driveable or noticeable issues so far.

smoother ride too. no questions just wanted to share.

One thing I did differently was sit the rear on jack stands so I could have my jack free to help install shocks after. I torqued to 35ft lbs up top and 60ft lbs below.

95ft lbs on rear wheels.

Just gotta detail it in a few weeks start to finish. apply a ceramic coating and it'll be ready to show off with the camaro wheels it's running now.
    2012 Odyssey Touring - Alabaster Silver Metallic -
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    . Full LED Interior Conversion | LED Rear Tail and Reverse Lights | VCM Muzzler 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I'm betting the previous owner had a dealership replace just the one. The dealership I go to on occasion offered to replace just the one leaking strut in the rear last time I was there. Needless to say I'll be replacing both rears myself.

Quote Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
    I'm betting the previous owner had a dealership replace just the one. The dealership I go to on occasion offered to replace just the one leaking strut in the rear last time I was there. Needless to say I'll be replacing both rears myself.
    Yes it was kinda weird seeing that. I now have two shocks to dispose of, the original one from the drivers side and this A11 revision. Maybe someone wants the A11 one. I can give it away if someone pays for the shipping.
    2012 Odyssey Touring - Alabaster Silver Metallic -
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    . Full LED Interior Conversion | LED Rear Tail and Reverse Lights | VCM Muzzler 2

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I did replace mine with 132k on it. Shock we’re badly shot if I know that you have the OEM A11 shock I would get it. But the thing is I’m already done with the new Shocks which is KYB also

ODY 2011 LEDS interior, Front Turn Signals & Plates.
    Civic 2002 (260,000km)

I also ended up getting KYB shocks from Rock Auto. I'll be slapping them on tomorrow along with Centric rotors/pads up front to replace the garbage OEM stuff that's on there now, fresh brake fluid, and fresh cabin & air filters. Gonna be a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by edgemoulic View Post
    I did replace mine with 132k on it. Shock we’re badly shot if I know that you have the OEM A11 shock I would get it. But the thing is I’m already done with the new Shocks which is KYB also
    I'm more amazed you used the old bolts and they actually came out. That's impressive.

Just out of curiosity, what is all that tan puffy stuff in the pics? Is it some type of rust prevention they use in the Great North Woods or what?
    2012 EX-L, >98k miles, VCMTuner, tint, Honda tow package, and always fresh ATF

Quote Originally Posted by cyphon21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edgemoulic View Post
    I'm more amazed you used the old bolts and they actually came out. That's impressive.
    With the antirust, bolts are fine it was covered on it. I use a breaker bar slowly without damaging it. Patience is the key.
    Civic 2002 (260,000km)

Quote Originally Posted by rmyoder View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is all that tan puffy stuff in the pics? Is it some type of rust prevention they use in the Great North Woods or what?
    Rust Check is the brand. Those are mud stick unto the frame underneath of it is the antirust protection. Here in the North if you don’t do it you will ending up replacing a lot of parts soon due to corrosion.
    Civic 2002 (260,000km)

I bought 2 KYB 349242 from Rock Auto and the bushings on the end are much smaller in width than the OE version. There were no spacers included with the shocks. Am I missing some parts? Can I put some sort of spacer in there? There seems to be about a 1/2 inch difference from the OE.

I don’t bother about it, as KYB had a lifetime warranty, will see how far it goes I installed it as is, for there are some reason that it is a design flaw or a purpose.
    Civic 2002 (260,000km)

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements