Windshield Leak caused by Windshield repair company
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums Ė General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Windshield Leak caused by Windshield repair company

Windshield Leak caused by Windshield repair company

I am looking for information and advice about what exactly is located above the headliner. I have a 2011 Touring.

A few weeks ago I had a rock hit and crack my windshield so I had to get it replaced. I went through the insurances preferred provider, a nationwide windshield company.

The replaced the windshield. I followed the instructions on not driving it right away and never took it through a car wash. My van is garage kept. A few days later we were at the movies while it was raining (so this was about 2 hours). When I got in, my headliner along the windshield was completely soaked and water was coming through my left map light and puddling into the floor (thank goodness i had the rubber mats). The company sent someone out the next day to repair it. He had to completely take it out again. He said that the first installer did it incorrectly that were was adhesive coming out the top of the seal and it was still soaking wet from the rain the night prior. He also said that the installer messed up the trim as well and that he had to set the windshield higher because of the trim being messed up. This is the trim that goes over where the top part of the windshield meets the van. It is all warped now. For now it is not leaking. My headliner is all stained from the water damage and my right map light is already not working. It got all into the drop down sunglasses holder, that material all came loose as well. My insurance agent recommended me to go to the dealer's body shop to get a quote of the repair. They said I needed to replace the headliner, the map light, and the trim. Also, when they are replacing the headliner they will see what other damage has been done and do a through test of the electronics in the area of the maplight and replace anything if needed. And the windshield will have to come out again when they replace the trim and have it reinstalled correctly.

The windshield company is now telling me that they only "agreed" to having the van detailed to remove the water stain. I have never seen this agreement and agreed upon this. They said they will pay to have it detailed, replace the light, and the trim but refusing to pay for the headliner replacement and electrical testing.

From my quick search on headliners, there appears to be foam and layers on the top side. Wouldn't water get into that interior part where the detailer cannot access? They are only agreeing to clean up the stain on the outside of the headliner. Both my son and I see an allergist and had allergy testing done. We are both highly allergic to mold spores and from what I read that can be trapped in the foam area where I assume the detailer cannot access. What about the roof of the van? Could that rust, is it treated with a protectant paint to prevent rusting if water gets in? Also a big concern is the whole maplight area. That is where the maplights are, the sunroof switches, the interior light switches, the garage door buttons, and the drivers side microphone area. Water had obviously got into my sunglasses case and had already went through the maplight. I am afraid of electronics damage from this further down the road. There is stained water damage all around that area as well all along the edge of my headliner where it meets the windshield.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windshield Leak caused by Windshield repair company-pic16-water-damage-around-control-panel-pic2.jpgWindshield Leak caused by Windshield repair company-pic1.jpgWindshield Leak caused by Windshield repair company-pic13-_looks-like-seal-raised-up-middle.jpgWindshield Leak caused by Windshield repair company-pic12_water-damage-sunglasses-holder-pic2.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Any chance this "agreement" was an informal one between the windshield company and your insurance? I would think if you filed a claim with your agent that they would go after the windshield company for everything in the body shop quote. If not, I'm guessing small claims court might be the alternative route.

I have a 2011 LX, and this thread has some pics that may show you what is up there. Really not too much. Also, the headliner / ceiling has a gap between it and the windshield - that's where I routed the wire. You should be able to feel for the gap, and following the thread here, pretty easily take down that map light assembly to check it out.

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-20...ml#post2244538

In general, it is bad work by the installer, but I would not be too worried with the car as long as it can be cosmetically restored.

Regarding "agreed", it really could be that they're thinking they agreed that, and because they're the business and you're the customer / victim, you agree by default. Really. Of course that's not an agreement in any legal sense, but I find many businesses think that way. Along those lines, whenever I hear them cite a "policy" that binds them, I send one right back at them, and I've got some pretty customer friendly policies.

While I'm on a roll here. Often I'm told it would just be "easiest" if I do {something}. I respond with "easiest for whom?" and am usually met with stunned silence while they figure out they're not dealing with a herd animal.
    2011 Odyssey LX, 106k miles
    1999 Odyssey EX, 234k miles, original owner

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I think the proper course of action here would be to remove the dome light / storage assembly, may sure it is all dry and aired out, and then clean and detail the part you can see and reinstall. If any of the electronics or lights from the assembly are damaged, they should either be fixed or the assembly replaced (available as a Honda part). Replacing the whole headliner would honestly be a nightmare as it would entail huge disassembly of the interior of the van and the headliner itself is large and very cumbersome - you would probably end up worse off. No matter what, they need to remove the assembly to access the area and make sure it is dried out. So, that would take some time and they may need to have the van for a while. It is a major F up by the glass installer, and they need to own that, but replacing the entire headliner should not be needed.

There is a big difference on "what's up there" between an LX and a Touring...

Obviously you are going to need to call the insurance company back and give them the attitude oldskewel outlines. You used their vendor, their vendor screwed up big time, and you will be made whole, whatever it takes....You might remind them that claims related to you and your son's medical mold issues will be a lot more expensive than a headliner. Now if they could put you in a rental for a week and allow the dealer to clean and thoroughly dry out the headliner, outside the van, a replacement might not be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
    Any chance this "agreement" was an informal one between the windshield company and your insurance? I would think if you filed a claim with your agent that they would go after the windshield company for everything in the body shop quote. If not, I'm guessing small claims court might be the alternative route.
    That is definitely a good question, especially since I have not seen any type of "agreement" and was never notified by one. My agent has been very good about forwarding all of his correspondence with them. My gut is telling me that that is what they told my agent on the phone during the initial phone call and the windshield company thinks this is an agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by cahaak View Post
    I think the proper course of action here would be to remove the dome light / storage assembly, may sure it is all dry and aired out, and then clean and detail the part you can see and reinstall. If any of the electronics or lights from the assembly are damaged, they should either be fixed or the assembly replaced (available as a Honda part). Replacing the whole headliner would honestly be a nightmare as it would entail huge disassembly of the interior of the van and the headliner itself is large and very cumbersome - you would probably end up worse off. No matter what, they need to remove the assembly to access the area and make sure it is dried out. So, that would take some time and they may need to have the van for a while. It is a major F up by the glass installer, and they need to own that, but replacing the entire headliner should not be needed.
    So is the map light/garage door switches/sunglasses storage/etc all one assembly? I got the quote from the Honda body shop and they would be the ones doing it, they already would have to remove the trim and redo the windshield because per the second tech who came out, he had to install the windshield higher or something because the trim was so messed up from the first tech who did it. But he said "not to worry, the trim doesn't stop the water getting into the car but the sealant does so water is still going to get under the trim area where it is not sitting flush against the car. Also, I did not post all the pics but the headliner water damage goes clear across the whole windshield, not just the area of the switches, so that is not visible if just that switch assembly is removed.

Quote Originally Posted by egads View Post
    There is a big difference on "what's up there" between an LX and a Touring...

Obviously you are going to need to call the insurance company back and give them the attitude oldskewel outlines. You used their vendor, their vendor screwed up big time, and you will be made whole, whatever it takes....You might remind them that claims related to you and your son's medical mold issues will be a lot more expensive than a headliner. Now if they could put you in a rental for a week and allow the dealer to clean and thoroughly dry out the headliner, outside the van, a replacement might not be necessary.
    I completely agree, there is alot going on up there, and major electronics, I assume that my driver side microphone area is there as well. It has already been 3 weeks since the windshield repair so it is all dry, however a quick search tells me that the mold spores will still be present, and if they are there it will definitely increase with our humid summer coming. I did tell my agent about the mold allergies and also that I could provide medical records from the testing. This was yesterday morning and I haven't heard back so I hope that claims is getting involved. I believe he is trying to go to bat for me. I have never had an insurance claim in my life so this is all new to me!

Quote Originally Posted by oldskewel View Post
    I have a 2011 LX, and this thread has some pics that may show you what is up there. Really not too much. Also, the headliner / ceiling has a gap between it and the windshield - that's where I routed the wire. You should be able to feel for the gap, and following the thread here, pretty easily take down that map light assembly to check it out.

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-20...ml#post2244538

In general, it is bad work by the installer, but I would not be too worried with the car as long as it can be cosmetically restored.

Regarding "agreed", it really could be that they're thinking they agreed that, and because they're the business and you're the customer / victim, you agree by default. Really. Of course that's not an agreement in any legal sense, but I find many businesses think that way. Along those lines, whenever I hear them cite a "policy" that binds them, I send one right back at them, and I've got some pretty customer friendly policies.

While I'm on a roll here. Often I'm told it would just be "easiest" if I do {something}. I respond with "easiest for whom?" and am usually met with stunned silence while they figure out they're not dealing with a herd animal.
    that is definitely a great comeback, I will have to say that there is alot more going on up there in the Touring van vs the LX, alot more electronics that I am worreid about failing in the future. My huge concern is any mold spores trapped on the inside of the headliner.

It didnít matter what they say they agreed to. If they donít have that agreement in writing then it doesnít exist. They made the mistake so their insurance should eat the cost of this and it should be corrected properly.

You should be aware that an insurance company is trying to repair your van for as cheep as possible. They play nice to your face and make it sound like they are working with you but you need to know they are holding back everything they think they can get away with. Itís a frustrating go dealing with them. Iíve had my fair share of experience with them and the times Iíve used a lawyer Iíve come out much farther ahead and with less stress than when Iíve tried to deal with them myself.

Iím not saying you should get a lawyer involved for something of this size, that is your call to make, but what I am saying is that you shouldnít ever think they are going to bat for you because they are being nice. When you start thinking like that then they have already won because after they have your trust they can sell you on an inferior solution and close the claim, completing their goal of stoping their company from loosing as much money as possible. They are a business after all and their goal is the same as any other businesses.

Water damage to electronics wonít repair itself simply by drying it out. Corrosion happens fast, specially if there are circuit boards, and even faster if the circuit boards get energized. That happened when the van powered up. Corrosion doesnít evaporate and once itís occurred it can create brittle solder connections that will fail after extended vibration or bumping. That means it could be a year down the road that your microphone suddenly stops working or your noise cancellation goes haywire and you will have a hard time pointing the blame at the leaking window that long after when (in this example) that is the exact reason that it failed.

If the electronics have never been wet before then they should be replaced with electronics that havenít been exposed to water. This is mostly a concern if there is a circuit board in there but switches can be damaged by water very easily also. They should also confirm that the water isnít going to cause the fabric to detach off the backing board of the ceiling (from weakened glue adhesion) if they are going to try cleaning it.

I doubt rust would be a concern. The metal should have a primer coating on it at the very least.

Do you have Honda sense? Forward collision, lane keep assist, whatever else it has? I believe that module needs to be calibrated after the window is replaced so that it can detect the road and distances properly. You should inquire with Honda if this is required and insist it be done it it hasnít yet.

I hate being such a nay sayer but Iíve never had a good experience from an insurance company, walking away saying ďthose people are so niceĒ only to find out that they, in some cases, they pulled the wool over my eyes. I got wise to their games and learned some tough lessons since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vdrsolo View Post
    That is definitely a good question, especially since I have not seen any type of "agreement" and was never notified by one. My agent has been very good about forwarding all of his correspondence with them. My gut is telling me that that is what they told my agent on the phone during the initial phone call and the windshield company thinks this is an agreement.
    If you signed a work order, or receipt, you may very well have entered into an 'agreement' by which you accepted certain terms. The fine print on work orders/ receipts may be considered legally binding (depending on the state, court, and the terms), and has been used many times to enforce policies like what you describe. You mention that this is a nationwide chain, so the risk of this tactic being used are significant.

That said, I don't think risks to your health, or even the electronics, are significant. Possible? yes. But a single fresh water intrusion like that is not going to foster a giant colony of mold, not unless you leave it wet for a long time... same for the electronics - most likely, all problems will be resolved simply by pulling everything apart and letting it dry (heck, with a comprehensive and proper use of damp-rid, and the a/c, you can suck most all the moisture out...)
    Last edited by Navar; 04-25-2019 at 07:58 PM.
    Life is worth living - but not too stupidly please.

DD: '16 T350 LWB EHR - The least 'fun to drive' TwinTurbo. Ever. Also... Best service van. EVER.
    '14 Ody
    '03 Outback
    '98 9000 CSE (70mph + Deer = broken headlight (It's a Saab, whaddaya expect?))
    '89 Si DOHC ZC (4th Engine, 5th will be a K20/24)

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements