2013 EX-L Timing Belt Snapped on Freeway. RIP Odyssey :-( - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2013 EX-L Timing Belt Snapped on Freeway. RIP Odyssey :-(

I was surprised to find out that the Honda 3.5 6-cyl engine has a timing belt, while the Honda 2.0 4-cyl has a timing chain. You would think that it would be the other way around! We replaced the timing belt on our 2004 Odyssey at 65,000 which is what Honda recommended at the time, and again at 120,000 miles. The second time we had the belt replaced, our service rep told me that Honda had changed the recommended interval from 65,000 to 95,000 miles on the newer Honda engines. Sorry to hear that you had to replace your engine because of the belt failure. I agree that it is unusual for a new OEM belt would fail like that.
    Last edited by txredhead56; Yesterday at 01:54 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

They said a bolt was cross threaded which indicates the service was done. However if a bolt was cross threaded (idler or tensioner pulley) then it may have been cocked at a slight angle or not fully inserted- either of which could cause misalignment leading to premature failure.

Quote Originally Posted by EOT 4 Life View Post
    I must be the only one that's thinking this but I'm going to say what I believe-the dealer took your money and the tech didn't replace the belt at the 100k service interval. No way an OEM belt would break in that short amount of time unless there was some other circumstance involved. You should give them bad reviews on every forum and review site you can, and email the manager also.
    I remember my brother in law bringing his Horizon to the local Plymouth dealer in the 80's and his habit was to put an "X" on the oil filter prior to bringing it there. He paid for the oil and filter change, and when he checked under the hood the same filter was there, untouched. He got manager involved and it was corrected, but from that point on I never trusted the dealerships to do work other than warranty jobs.
    Similar experience happened to me on the TPMS sensors for my tires.
    Dealer claimed they replaced them all, but a few month later (new sensor should last 7+ years), one of the TPMS sensor failed.
    They wanted to replace it again and told me there was Fix-a-tire fluid on the sensor.
    Fix-a-tire happened way before the sensor replacement, that means they didn't really replace it at all.
    2008 Odyssey Touring, Tafetta White, Nav and RES

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Call Honda of America and nicely and politely tell them that you just had the timing belt replaced just xx miles ago as part of the required service, and that it broke just 3K miles out of warranty. It cost you so much at the dealer, AND that you think Honda should cover the expense.

A timing belt doesn't just break (especially after 3K miles), but wears out. That you've maintained your van and hoped to get years and years (400K+ miles) of use out of it, and was really surprised that this happened - to a Honda. Tell them you've got little kids and don't feel comfortable on a family trip, and maybe getting stuck 500 miles from the closest Honda dealer.

Follow it up with a nicely worded letter (American Honda Motor Co., Inc., 1919 Torrance Blvd., Torrance, CA 90501).

IF they offer to cover the cost, you're cool. They may offer to pay the pro-rated cost - as in, they'll say your vans lifetime is, say, 50% gone, so therefore they'll only pay 50% the cost. But with a used engine that may be iffy - but from the dealer that should be good...

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kck3888 View Post
    Similar experience happened to me on the TPMS sensors for my tires.
    Dealer claimed they replaced them all, but a few month later (new sensor should last 7+ years), one of the TPMS sensor failed.
    They wanted to replace it again and told me there was Fix-a-tire fluid on the sensor.
    Fix-a-tire happened way before the sensor replacement, that means they didn't really replace it at all.
    Wow! SMH. Never trust them.

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12