2013 EX-L Timing Belt Snapped on Freeway. RIP Odyssey :-(
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 EX-L Timing Belt Snapped on Freeway. RIP Odyssey :-(

2013 EX-L Timing Belt Snapped on Freeway. RIP Odyssey :-(

123K Miles, driving on freeway about 70mph, engine lost power and I was able to coast the car to the shoulder. Called AAA and had the car towed to Dublin Honda. Dublin Honda calls me the next day and says my timing belt snapped and I need a new engine!

What makes me more mad is:
    (1) I had the timing belt replaced last year for the 100K service, at 104K miles on the odometer at Concord Honda
    (2) I'm 3K miles past HondaCare
    (3) I called Concord Honda and 2 different Service Techs said they will not cover the snapped timing belt under warranty because it's been 19K miles since they replaced it (123K minus 104K) and the warranty only covers 12K miles or 12months
    (4) I spoke with HondaCare and they said they will not cover the snapped timing belt because of (2) and (3) above
    (5) I spent 5K to get the engine fixed at Dublin Honda. They replaced the engine with used engine.
    (6) After getting the engine fixed, I went to Concord Honda to let them know how upset I was, and I had been a loyal customer for 6 years, always servicing my Odyssey with them, and the Service Manager said there's nothing he could do, and if I had spoke with him, he would have fixed it for free under warranty. I told him 2 of his Service Techs said no. Then he said I should have called HondaCare, and I said I did, and he said all he can say is 'sorry'

All in all, I vowed never to step foot in Concord Honda ever again. The Odyssey drives great but i'm too worried and traumatized. Even though this 'new' engine has lower miles, it's still a used engine and even though it has a warranty from Dublin Honda of 12 months /12k miles, i don't want to risk it with my family inside.

Car drives fine but definitely feels different so I plan to sell it and get an Odyssey, Sienna, or Pacifica. Looking forward to putting this behind me
    Last edited by dimabear; 05-09-2019 at 11:38 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I’d sure like to know what caused the belt to snap.

Something caused it to happen. Doesn’t sound like the fault of the dealer that did the previous repairs because of the fact that you’d driven it for thousands of miles.

If I had to guess a cam, water pump or idler locked up and the belt broke as a result.

I understand your frustration and don’t blame you for jumping ship. Sh*t happens sometimes, with any brand.

As a former Chrysler tech, I’d warn against a Pacifica. The long term quality just sucks for almost any of their products.

Ouch. Agree OEM belts don’t typically break for no reason. Did the dealer replace the water pump and all idlers at the same time?

In fact this is the first time I’ve run across a post to my knowledge of an OEM setup failing under 20K miles. Did you get the old parts? Love to see pictures. If the tech accidentally cut the belt while installing it that’s a possibility but he’d have to be a complete idiot for that to occur.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Yep, water pump and idlers. The whole package. 100K mile service and I spent $1100 to do it. Dublin Honda is telling me one of the bolts was cross threaded. How to insert a picture? I have them on my local computer but not seeing the 'ok' button after clicking on 'add files'. I'm using Google Chrome on a mac

Quote Originally Posted by dimabear View Post
    Yep, water pump and idlers. The whole package. 100K mile service and I spent $1100 to do it. Dublin Honda is telling me one of the bolts was cross threaded. How to insert a picture? I have them on my local computer but not seeing the 'ok' button after clicking on 'add files'. I'm using Google Chrome on a mac
    Adding pictures in this forum only works if you have clicked on "Go Advanced" to compose your post. If you try it from "Post Quick Reply" they won't work.

Also, it's very shabby of your dealer to point out how one of their techs cross-threaded a bolt and then hide behind a calendar. I get how they probably wouldn't want to pay the other dealer for the work they did, but still...
    Last edited by CroMath; 05-09-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

I must be the only one that's thinking this but I'm going to say what I believe-the dealer took your money and the tech didn't replace the belt at the 100k service interval. No way an OEM belt would break in that short amount of time unless there was some other circumstance involved. You should give them bad reviews on every forum and review site you can, and email the manager also.
    I remember my brother in law bringing his Horizon to the local Plymouth dealer in the 80's and his habit was to put an "X" on the oil filter prior to bringing it there. He paid for the oil and filter change, and when he checked under the hood the same filter was there, untouched. He got manager involved and it was corrected, but from that point on I never trusted the dealerships to do work other than warranty jobs.
    Last edited by EOT 4 Life; 05-09-2019 at 04:34 PM.

You’re not the only one thinking the belt may not have been changed the first go around.

Sorry about that OP. Let yourself cool down a bit and you may want to keep it longer. You shelled out thousands on the current repair. I’d try to get my money’s worth from it personally. When the time comes, jump ship for a Sienna (no timing belt). I’d avoid the Pacifica as well.

Be careful where you jump ship to! I've often wondered it the Honda was a interference engine and it sure sounds as if it is. I don't think a non-interference engine would wipe out the engine like that when the belt breaks. Don't know which engines are and which aren't, but a timing belt break in a interference engine will take out the entire engine almost every time!
    Last edited by parmm; 05-10-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    2011 Odyssey EX setup to tow a 2007 Thule utility trailer & 2018 Atlas Enclosed 4x6 trailer.
    2014 CRV EX AWD.
    Previous Hondas 1974 CVCC Hatchback & 2013 Fit Base.

I found this site a while ago and it's pretty informative:
    Interference Engines - The Complete List - Your Car Angel

DrD
    Ouch. I am sure it's true that the service advisors can't bend policy, but the manager can - hindsight is always 20/20, but you should have run it all the way up the flagpole with the folks that did the initial timing belt job before throwing in the towel on them and having someone else fix it on your dime.

I also wonder if they actually replaced the belt first time around...

DrD
    I am guessing the service manager is thinking they really needed to see the snapped belt themselves, otherwise, I don't see why they couldn't pay out what it would have cost them if you had brought it there (assuming it's less than what you paid)

Also. I know it is after the fact, but ya never know..... they may make you an offer. That said, go to the Better Business Bureau. Businesses do not want that and will do almost anything to resolve an issue. I would utilize the suggestions made here by knowledgeable mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by jnissen View Post
    Ouch. Agree OEM belts don’t typically break for no reason. Did the dealer replace the water pump and all idlers at the same time?

In fact this is the first time I’ve run across a post to my knowledge of an OEM setup failing under 20K miles. Did you get the old parts? Love to see pictures. If the tech accidentally cut the belt while installing it that’s a possibility but he’d have to be a complete idiot for that to occur.

I have a 2007 EX-L that we bought new. At 117,000+ I replaced the timing belt myself. Bought new belt and tensioner from Honda. By appearance I could not tell the new one from the old one.

I know of a 2007 Ody with over 275,000 on the odometer. Owner claims the belt has never been changed. I would not go that many miles. But I do think the 100,000 mile belt change has a large margin of safety built in.

Something wasn't done properly. I've been changing timing belts for years on different vehicles, included the Honda Odyssey. They last another 100K or more, never heard of one breaking after only 20K.

Something is fishy here for sure. How does the timing belt fail when it was serviced recently.

5 grand for a used engine? That's also a rip off. They should of gave you a new engine if it was possible.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast