123K Miles, driving on freeway about 70mph, engine lost power and I was able to coast the car to the shoulder. Called AAA and had the car towed to Dublin Honda. Dublin Honda calls me the next day and says my timing belt snapped and I need a new engine!
What makes me more mad is:
(1) I had the timing belt replaced last year for the 100K service, at 104K miles on the odometer at Concord Honda
(2) I'm 3K miles past HondaCare
(3) I called Concord Honda and 2 different Service Techs said they will not cover the snapped timing belt under warranty because it's been 19K miles since they replaced it (123K minus 104K) and the warranty only covers 12K miles or 12months
(4) I spoke with HondaCare and they said they will not cover the snapped timing belt because of (2) and (3) above
(5) I spent 5K to get the engine fixed at Dublin Honda. They replaced the engine with used engine.
(6) After getting the engine fixed, I went to Concord Honda to let them know how upset I was, and I had been a loyal customer for 6 years, always servicing my Odyssey with them, and the Service Manager said there's nothing he could do, and if I had spoke with him, he would have fixed it for free under warranty. I told him 2 of his Service Techs said no. Then he said I should have called HondaCare, and I said I did, and he said all he can say is 'sorry'
All in all, I vowed never to step foot in Concord Honda ever again. The Odyssey drives great but i'm too worried and traumatized. Even though this 'new' engine has lower miles, it's still a used engine and even though it has a warranty from Dublin Honda of 12 months /12k miles, i don't want to risk it with my family inside.
Car drives fine but definitely feels different so I plan to sell it and get an Odyssey, Sienna, or Pacifica. Looking forward to putting this behind me