2015 EX-L Check Engine Flash - What next
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 EX-L Check Engine Flash - What next

2015 EX-L Check Engine Flash - What next

2015 with 53K miles. We have had the van less than a year.

Last night my wife called and said the van was sluggish and the check engine light was blinking. She pulled over and shut the vehicle off to call me. I had her start again to see if the condition remained. It did not so she got the vehicle home(only 3 miles away).
    I get home, look at the owners manual and see that the flash indicates an misfire condition. I was able to look at codes using a jumper wire on the ODBII plug and didn't get any P codes. So I proceed to check the spark plugs. I check 4-6 first and all look good. I then move to the back and cylinder 1 looks good, 2 was just caked with residue and it looked like the electrode nipples were worn. Cylinder 3 look the same, but not as bad as 2. I checked the oil as well after it cooled and it was low to the add line. Last oil change it didn't burn any oil. Now this time I am down a qt. it appears.
    First of all I do not have a muzzler or anything on currently, the S-VCM is on its way.
    From my reading my understanding is its not cylinder 2 that gets turned off. So what am I looking at? Is this because of the VCM issues? Should I change the plugs and see what happens or should I just take it to the dealership and see if it is because of the Piston ring TSB? Thank you for your insights everyone. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Cylinders 1-4 are manipulated by VCM. Cylinders 5-6 are always on.

Do NOT change the spark plugs yourself unless you absolutely have to. Go to the dealer with the original spark plugs and let them diagnose the problem for you.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

Definitely get the dealer involved. High probability that you have a VCM related plug fouling issue and when these are being encountered Honda is paying 75%+ to remedy in your mileage range. Put everything back the way it was and get it in to Honda.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pkrface View Post
    Definitely get the dealer involved. High probability that you have a VCM related plug fouling issue and when these are being encountered Honda is paying 75%+ to remedy in your mileage range. Put everything back the way it was and get it in to Honda.
    Hopefully still under 5 year/60k powertrain warranty? Cutting it close.

Here’s a tip from a dealer tech....

If you’re under factory warranty, don’t work on it yourself. No offense intended in any way. Just saying...

It’s ok to read codes. But don’t actually take anything apart or anything like that.

You’ve got a 5/60 power train warranty and it’s not like Honda would leave you high and dry even if you were just out of warranty. They take care of their customers and always have. I’ve seen it for 15 years.

I’ve only seen a couple of the 2014+ engines have oil consumption and/or plug fouling. In my experience Honda has elected to replace the short block as opposed to doing ring replacement. But it isn’t really the tech’s call. He’s gonna make a call to Techline and they will make a recommendation and usually that’s what will get done but sometimes the DPSM will get involved and they may end up taking a different route.

Trust me, if you’re not getting taken care of the right way then it’s the dealer who is dropping the ball. Honda, as a whole, goes out of its way to keep customers happy. They aren’t perfect but compared to my experience with the other brands they are saints.

Honda service departments are one of the WORST if not THE worst in the industry. They don't give a sh1t about their customers and their cars. They just want to rob you whenever you go in for service. Selling you service you don't need, not selling you the service you actually need.

Honda is no longer the OG Honda anymore, before they were reliable and cared. Now their cars are nothing but trouble. All you get at the dealership when you take your brand new car in for a problem is "couldn't duplicate problem" BS. lol

Quote Originally Posted by CroMath View Post
    Do NOT change the spark plugs yourself unless you absolutely have to. Go to the dealer with the original spark plugs and let them diagnose the problem for you.
    Very important tip! Don't change anything before going in. Go in with the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
    Honda service departments are one of the WORST if not THE worst in the industry. They don't give a sh1t about their customers and their cars. They just want to rob you whenever you go in for service. Selling you service you don't need, not selling you the service you actually need.

Honda is no longer the OG Honda anymore, before they were reliable and cared. Now their cars are nothing but trouble. All you get at the dealership when you take your brand new car in for a problem is "couldn't duplicate problem" BS. lol
    Maybe in your neck of the woods. I’ve worked for 2 different Honda dealers for the last 15 years and the dealer groups I’ve worked for sell all the main brands. Honda, as a whole, is a great brand for customer service.

Some dealers are terrible and should be ashamed but let’s not just make blanket statements about all dealers. Some, many, go the extra mile.

Well first off I am not the original owner. So I am not sure if the 5 year/60K transfers. The only thing I did was add oil. The dealer is 1 hour away and I didn't want to drive it with the oil level at the add quart line. I wasn't going to risk running it dry. When calling in, do I mention I checked plugs or just tell them I have high oil consumption and codes? Thank you all for your input. I will keep you updated on what occurs. Is TSB 13-081 the same TSB for the '15 odyessy? I see at the top it references 2011-2013. Is there a different one for later models? That one states 8 years and unlimited mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by swordfish7769 View Post
    Well first off I am not the original owner. So I am not sure if the 5 year/60K transfers. The only thing I did was add oil. The dealer is 1 hour away and I didn't want to drive it with the oil level at the add quart line. I wasn't going to risk running it dry. When calling in, do I mention I checked plugs or just tell them I have high oil consumption and codes? Thank you all for your input. I will keep you updated on what occurs. Is TSB 13-081 the same TSB for the '15 odyessy? I see at the top it references 2011-2013. Is there a different one for later models? That one states 8 years and unlimited mileage.
    The power train warranty is fully transferable.

When you call in I’d tell them that you had a flashing check engine light, reduced power/rough running. And you thought to check the oil and found it low so you topped it off.

The 13-081 warranty extension does not cover your vehicle at all.

PM me or post in this thread with what they say.

Thanks JRProck.....I will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post

That is a very large blanket statement. Yes, the car industry as a whole has challenges, but just like any other industry there are some dealerships or individuals who are absolutely interested in taking care of customers and then there is the other end of the spectrum. Unfortunately you seem to have encountered the worst. As for the current class of product, I agree that they are struggling with product quality and reliability. Virtually all manufacturers have struggled with the extremely rapid adding of technology to cars and the high demand consumers are placing on it. Buyers are forcing them to come to market with it before they have really been able to fully test the stability of it for the long term. When I was first in the business I was very skeptical of air bags and anti-lock brakes from a reliability standpoint, but have been pleasantly surprised at how solid those systems have been as they age. Hopefully that will happen with some of the new stuff and in the meantime I will sit on the sideline waiting.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

I tried to pull codes last night, but with the MIL off there were no codes present. I called the "local" Honda dealer and talked to service and I explained what had happened. I had an MIL with shuttering and loss of throttle response. Checked oil and oil level was way low. He asked what year and how many miles. I told him 2015. His response was "Really?" Then he said he would look up and bulletins on my vehicle didn't find any, ran my VIN and nothing there. I have an appointment today so we will see what they find. I am curious if they will just throw it on the diagnostic machine or will they actually pull spark plugs and look at them. Either way I will see what they say. If they just throw it on the machine and call it good I think I will ask them to pull the plugs and look at them and show them to me.

Without a code their hands are kinda tied.

There’s just certain policies that are in place that are there to prevent unneeded repairs from being made. The way that the warranty labor op is made it needs a failure code to stick. The DPSM is able to overrule that and push a repair through.

At this point I’d just keep driving the van. Make sure you’ve got records on your phone of the call you’ve made and the name of the writer. When it happens again, it will, you’ll already have a contact and it’ll be smoother sailing.

Good news...kinda. I brought it down and on the way it threw the flashing light again. Stayed on all the way to the dealer. I left it running so they could check it out. He told me tech thought it was an injector. We will see. Sitting here now.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast