Honda Odyssey Forum banner

LKAS (Lane Keeping Assist System)

22K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  Hodna 
#1 ·
2018 Honda Odyssey Elite

So, I click the "main" button on the steering wheel and the LKAS and ACC names show up on my dash. But then there's the button next to the main button that looks like a steering wheel with road lines on the side. I click that and the lines show up on the dash. My confusion is, when I don't have the steering wheel with the lines turned on, the van still vibrates the steering wheel when I go over a lane marker. What's the deal? Are there actually two lane keeping assists that I am confusing?

#2 ·
Short answer is kind of. The LKAS includes the Lane Keep Support (keeps the vehicle in the center of the lines aka drives for you) and Lane Departure Warning (vibrates the steering wheel and shows the warning). See page 583 in the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I also was confused with this when we bought the vehicle and I thought it only did the nudging but then noticed the car was driving and turning itself on the highway. I love this feature. I do find it funny that occasionally it must sense you are not holding the wheel firm enough or turning enough and it says "Steering Required" on it. The lane departure is controlled via a push button on the left side of the dash. The road line animations will even light up when they detect the lane on each side.

Only annoyance I had with the LKAS system is when I would be in the right lane on a highway and approach a ramp. Since the right line vanished to the ramp and the left line stayed close, it's like the LKAS system wants you to center up more and then bam, ramp ends and its shoving you back over to the center.

#5 ·
LKAS is awesome. With ACC it is pretty stress free for long drives.

I once drove from South Bay to San Francisco City on Fwy 280 till 6th Street exit without my foot on the pedal.

However, I did notice that when the wipers are in action LKAS is not able to detect the lanes. It was wet today with rain falling at some pace. LKAS did not latch on the lanes of the Freeway.

I stopped the wipers, engaged the LKAS but when the wipers are started they dis-engage.

#7 ·
Wait until you drive over a white paint spill on the road, it can be quite "interesting" as your Ody heads for the side of the road following the spill. It happens to me at one location every time I drive there unless I remember to slow down to disable the system on that section of road.

#9 ·
Well yes, that is a good idea but it is still a startling thing. I'd rate it very similar to having the front passenger side tire blow out, not something you are expecting on a bare,dry well maintained city street.

If it had caught me taking a sip of coffee or fiddling the dash the first time it had happened I'd have been really unhappy. Now that it does it every time we drive there we find it more entertaining. Get in the right lane, set the cruise for 47 and lift your hands off the wheel and watch it shake, blink and swerve. It certainly does impress passengers, some of whom I've taken that way on purpose to show it off.

If you are near Mesa / Gilbert AZ drive north, under the 60 on Lindsay road and take the center lane when it goes from 2 to 3 lanes. Sadly Google's pictures are too old to show it or I'd post a photo.

I'd really rather have the system disengage when confused rather than going into panic mode, maybe with the next system update?

#11 ·
I have been finding that the car still does some steering when it detects lane departure while the LKAS is illuminated (press main button) but the lane lines are not illuminated.. It's a little disconcerting. Also the speed at which it's working seems slower than what's in the manual.. Not sure if this is after some update or not.

#14 ·
Just test drove a 2019 EX-L today and used lane keep assist on 580 in Oakland. It was nice to have but when two lanes merged into one, it seemed the car wanted to head straight into the shoulder, which was NOT good. Also, at high speeds like 60mph, I wouldn't feel safe having to 'take over' the wheel if it was making a mistake...I just wouldn't rely on lane keep assist.

I'll be turning it off for good.

#18 ·
Raptor88, LKAS and cruise control are completely separate systems. You can use your cruise control all by itself. It has two modes: conventional cruise and adaptive cruise, where the car automatically maintains speed in relation to the cars ahead of you. I forget how to engage the regular cruise control. Perhaps someone can chime in on that. I never use it - just the adaptive cruise.

#20 ·
traditional cruise control by pressing the distance button for at least one second. Once this is done the distance bars will disappear on the dash board and be replaced with “cruise mode”. ACC can be re-activated by simply pressing the distance
The steering and cruise controls on our 2019 EX looks like this:

Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Auto part

The only way I can enable standard cruise control is to:
  1. First press the MAIN button. It then displays "ACC LKAS" on the instrument panel.
  2. I then have to press and hold the button at 3 o'clock for the standard cruise control to display as "ACC (Cruise Mode) LKAS".
There is no way to enable (Cruise Mode) without first pressing the MAIN button, which immediately displays "ACC LKAS" on the instrument panel.
There is no "CRUISE" button on our 2019 EX's steering wheel.

I tested by driving at 47 mph. With the instrument panel displaying "ACC (Cruise Mode) LKAS", when the tires roll over the road's dashed line on the left side, the steering wheel shakes and then steers right into the lane. Similar for the right side dashed line. So the LKAS is definitely still enabled when the (Cruise Mode) is selected.

Does the 2018 Ody's steering wheel controls have a "Cruise" button? The manual that came with out 2019 EX describes a "Cruise" button on the steering wheel though that button does not exist on our 2019 EX's steering wheel.

Raptor88

#27 ·
Maybe I'm not understanding this, doesn't the LKAS have to be active with the dotted white lane lines showing to be active, not just the green letters?

LKAS is different from the Lane Departure feature, control button for that is buried under the bottom left dash with the braking system, parking sensors and emergency braking system.

#31 · (Edited)
I doubt you can turn that off. It's probably hard-coded into the software as a legal safety requirement because the Odyssey is not sold as a fully autonomous vehicle.

There have also been reports of people almost losing control and crashing because of errors in how the LKAS behaves. I've used it on long trips as a way of "easing the steering" burdon. It only keeps you from having to do all the work. I still watch the road like a hawk because I've experienced times when I waited for the LKAS to negotiate a curve in the highway only to find out that the two little chevrons are no longer solid, which means the LKAS is temporarily not working. I still really like it though :).

#34 ·
There's no doubt that LKAS is more of a gimmicky item at this point than a full-function autopilot. Wheel shaking occurs when you're drifting but as DJVAN says, that can happen when you approach an exit lane, at which point it shouldn't. The LKAS can't decide what to do.

The other wheel shake is what the OP wants to turn off. You must provide driver input about every 20 or 30 seconds. Honda doesn't want you sitting there eating your lunch while the LKAS drives for you. Eksine is right. The only way autonomous drive will work is when all the roads are updated with foolproof sensors. Based on the length and size of the North American highways, I'd say that may be completed in about 300 years :)!

#38 ·
There's no doubt that LKAS is more of a gimmicky item at this point than a full-function autopilot. Wheel shaking occurs when you're drifting but as DJVAN says, that can happen when you approach an exit lane, at which point it shouldn't. The LKAS can't decide what to do.

The other wheel shake is what the OP wants to turn off. You must provide driver input about every 20 or 30 seconds. Honda doesn't want you sitting there eating your lunch while the LKAS drives for you. Eksine is right. The only way autonomous drive will work is when all the roads are updated with foolproof sensors. Based on the length and size of the North American highways, I'd say that may be completed in about 300 years :)!
Hodna, your giving the Department of Transportation a lot of credit at 300 years. I would say that US Congress would attempt to make it happen, but than each individual state receives these (grants) from Washington DC, than the State gives out to each county these funds, they receive these funds to install sensors, but they would use it for other things like buying signs/barricades/traffic cones. Then they would forget what they bought all these things for, and fill a single pothole with asphalt. But as well all the prior Government would take out a little bit of money for them. Now the end-users would ask where is the sensors that was supposed to be put in the roads, and the Government would say it got used up for preparation, and would ask the US Congress for more money again, than again. By then we should be into transporting people across the world. :giggle: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

#36 ·
The LKAS has been turned off since the day we took delivery. As Hodna says, it's a gimmick. Trouble is, there are people who rely too heavily on these gimmicks. I suspect they cause more accidents than they prevent but that's just my two cents.

Given the goofs Honda made on some of the electronic gadgets on these vans, I'll take my chances with this disabled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.