radar hardwire
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: radar hardwire

radar hardwire

Picking up an elite tomorrow. Was wondering if anyone has tapped into the rearview mirror yet to hardwire a radar or if anyone knows where i can find an information sheet for the specific wires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Not sure I understand the question. A radar for what? Thanks.

The electrical diagrams are available on this forum. I believe you want the blue wire (switched 12V power) that runs to the overhead map lights.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hodna View Post
    Not sure I understand the question. A radar for what? Thanks.
    Radar Detector.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Dad View Post
    The electrical diagrams are available on this forum. I believe you want the blue wire (switched 12V power) that runs to the overhead map lights.
    Thank you. Will update after install!

My Beltronics radar detector plugs into the back of the auto dimming mirror on my '16 touring. Search for the item below on Amazon. I'm sure they have something similar for whichever radar detector you have. I've been using this consistently since I bought the van a year and half ago. Definitely recommend it if it works with your model. I plan to eventually trade in for the '18 Elite (once prices drop and better financing is available), so I hope it works! I'd appreciate some feedback.

You have an Elite so you should be fine. But for those that have other trims, their first clue will be whether or not the trim has auto dimming mirrors and/or garage door buttons. If it does not, there's a good chance theres a power cord for it tucked into the ceiling panel -- remove the map light fixture and it should be somewhere back there.

Radar Mount Mirror Wire Power Cord for Beltronics Radar Detectors With Inline Fuse RJ11

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Finally Installed it. Used the mirror mount and then the wire tapping kit. On the elite the wires are right behind the mirror itself so it made this super easy. I plugged the red wire from the kit into the top brown wire on the backside of the mirror and then put the black ground wire of the kit to the black wire behind the mirror. I did not specifically test any of these wires for voltage. I took a guess and it worked. radar hardwire-img_5388.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Itzk15h3n View Post
    Finally Installed it. Used the mirror mount and then the wire tapping kit. On the elite the wires are right behind the mirror itself so it made this super easy. I plugged the red wire from the kit into the top brown wire on the backside of the mirror and then put the black ground wire of the kit to the black wire behind the mirror. I did not specifically test any of these wires for voltage. I took a guess and it worked. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5388.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	115857
    Glad you figured it out looks like my setup and trial and error was my approach for installation as well.

Finally Installed it. Used the mirror mount and then the wire tapping kit. On the elite the wires are right behind the mirror itself so it made this super easy. I plugged the red wire from the kit into the top brown wire on the backside of the mirror and then put the black ground wire of the kit to the black wire behind the mirror. I did not specifically test any of these wires for voltage. I took a guess and it worked. Click image for larger version. 

Finally bought the Elite this weekend and tried to plug in my radar detector. Admittedly I didn't spend enough time tinkering but it wasn't as easy to get this working as my 2016. I tried plugging the wires as you described but the radar detector on receives power when the vehicle is in reverse, otherwise the power is off. This is really strange because I don't know why the rearview mirror or homelink would need power in reverse only.

I'll eventually get around to messing with it again. I've just been busy tinkering with all the other bells and whistles!

Which wire tapping kit did you use?
    2018 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite

I was going to make a thread to help illustrate things once I got my dash cam correctly wired into the mirror, but still waiting on an adapter to show up from ebay.

I used a voltmeter to confirm the settings. Black is ground at all times and brown is on only with the ignition being on, so you want the red to go into the brown and black on black.

Mirror Tap is the way to go for radar detectors and will look like the bottom picture.

radar hardwire-harness.jpg
    radar hardwire-insert.jpg
    2018 Honda Odyssey Elite - Obsidian Blue Pearl/Gray
    2016 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Dynamic - Firenze Red/Pimento

Traded:
    2013 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite - Smoky Topaz/Truffle
    2008 Acura MDX Tech/PTG - Steel Blue/Taupe

Quote Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post
    I was going to make a thread to help illustrate things once I got my dash cam correctly wired into the mirror, but still waiting on an adapter to show up from ebay.

I used a voltmeter to confirm the settings. Black is ground at all times and brown is on only with the ignition being on, so you want the red to go into the brown and black on black.

Mirror Tap is the way to go for radar detectors and will look like the bottom picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harness.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	124473
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Insert.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	124481
    How much trouble did you have getting this to work? I did black to black and red to brown like you said, but my radar detector won't turn on. It's hard to tell from the picture, but I just stuck them in right next to the corresponding wire. They're not in tight by any means, but they should be making contact, and I don't know how else I'm supposed to stick them in.

This is the wire I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RA38YIK

And it looks like you have an Elite. I have an EX-L NAV/RES, but I wouldn't think the mirror is wired any differently.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by the block View Post
    How much trouble did you have getting this to work? I did black to black and red to brown like you said, but my radar detector won't turn on. It's hard to tell from the picture, but I just stuck them in right next to the corresponding wire. They're not in tight by any means, but they should be making contact, and I don't know how else I'm supposed to stick them in.

This is the wire I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RA38YIK

And it looks like you have an Elite. I have an EX-L NAV/RES, but I wouldn't think the mirror is wired any differently.

Any thoughts?
    After looking more online it seems I mistakenly bought the cheap/knockoff MirrorTap wire, instead of the brandname one. $19 vs $40. I've bought the $40 one and it'll come tomorrow, hopefully that's the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1XF4XU/

Alright well I got the new cable and black in black and red in brown is not working for me. This is in an EX-L NAV/RES. Anyone have any ideas? I guess the next step is go buy a multimeter.

Alright, for those following along at home (though I am probably talking to myself, but future searchers may find it helpful), I got a multimeter and tested my mirror wires. Turns out mine is wired differently then the folks above. The correct order for me was red into green (top wire), black into black (2nd from top). This gives me 12V power on ignition.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast