Does anyone install Dashcam?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone install Dashcam?

Does anyone install Dashcam?

Hey all,

I have been contemplating to get a front dash cam and possibly a rear cam to. I have seen some close encounters, and I want to have proof for insurance purposes.

Does anyone have one installed? what's a good brand?

I saw there is one brand REXING V1 that has like over 4000 reviews on Amazon with 4 stars.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Subscribed to this thread...since I have a dash cam that I have been looking to install and want to know how to best hard wire it to a always in power source (dash and has motion sensor and shock sensor to capture issues during parking)

I would like to know the location of the fuse box and how to open the trim on the A pillar to run the wire down from the headliner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check this out: American Bus Video, bus camera systems & school bus video systems

Thinking of this for along time for my work truck
    Ex-member as: tech_table, but Hidden Content lost access Hidden Content

2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    2005 Toyota Camry SE V6
    2010 Nissan Frontier LE 4x4
    2014 Nissan NV2500HD

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I just installed my dash cam. I ran the wire on the driver side using the cig outlet below your right knee. I tucked it under the lower trim to the left side dash tucking it in the weather strip to the left upper pillar. Then I tucked it into the upper headliner to the black box and put the dash right below it. I haven't installed the rear yet but will probably go the passenger side for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by OdyOdyOdyOdy1 View Post
    Hey all,

Does anyone have one installed? what's a good brand?

Any thoughts?
    I plan on installing one, I'm looking at getting the Thinkware F800 PRO. I hope the have the front and rear camera installed concealing the wires and have it always on. There is another thread starting showing running the wires to the back. Dash Cam

Quote Originally Posted by SolidState9311 View Post
    I plan on installing one, I'm looking at getting the Thinkware F800 PRO. I hope the have the front and rear camera installed concealing the wires and have it always on. There is another thread starting showing running the wires to the back. Dash Cam

Wow the Thinkware F800 does look good. But it's $450 on Amazon including the rear camera.. that's way out of my budget lol.

We have a Street Guardian dash cam and it is excellent. It was also not very expensive, but we chose a relatively basic model; for example, ours does not have GPS capability so it cannot record the speed at which we drive (while generally safe and legal drivers, my wife and I did not feel that the possibility of self-incrimination was worth the novelty of having our speed show up).
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

Not having your speed showing in the dash cam data is of limited protection, your speed can be closely estimated by observing the images it captures.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan-qaz View Post
    Not having your speed showing in the dash cam data is of limited protection, your speed can be closely estimated by observing the images it captures.
    Of course, you are absolutely right. But I don't see the value in spending extra money to make it obvious.

My main point is that spending money on high quality optical equipment is much more valuable than bells and whistles like GPS or WiFi connectivity. And our Street Guardian camera does a great job in all lighting levels and cost under $130 Canadian.
    Last edited by CroMath; 09-15-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

I believe you have to be careful about where to install a dashcam as the rear view mirror has a camera that's used for the active cruise control (on higher trim levels). I also want to install a dashcam. I currently have a Rexing V1P. The quality of the front cam is decent but the rear sucks since it's not HD. The V1LG has an HD rear camera though so I'm considering it as well as the Street Guardian.

I've used a dash cam in my vehicle for the past year or so. The one I currently use is the Frizione 2.4" 4K dash cam. It's a relatively small footprint and has great images. Also you can connect to it via wifi and use a free app to view recordings. It's front only though.

I haven't put one in my van yet but it's on my to do list.
    2018 Honda Odyssey Elite - Obsidian Blue Pearl/Gray
    2016 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Dynamic - Firenze Red/Pimento

Traded:
    2013 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite - Smoky Topaz/Truffle
    2008 Acura MDX Tech/PTG - Steel Blue/Taupe

Ya'll don't have problems with the van's various sensors freaking out? I can't even use a Bluetooth scan tool in my van because the dash lights up with all kinds of lights and warnings.

So far my van has no problems except error on carplay navigation.

I bought the Garmin 45 Dash Cam with the wire harness. It was easy to run the harness down the drivers side to under the dash where the fuse panel is. I bought a fuse tap and tested with a voltmeter the nearly 40 fuses to try and identify one that is 12v only when the ACC is on. All of them had a maintained 12v whether the ACC was on or off. The schematic here in the link below shows that fuse 27 is switched on only when the ACC relay is closed but that's not the case. Anyone know where I can find the right fuse location for ACC?

link >> Electronic Wiring Diagram

Quote Originally Posted by jzman View Post
    I bought the Garmin 45 Dash Cam with the wire harness. It was easy to run the harness down the drivers side to under the dash where the fuse panel is. I bought a fuse tap and tested with a voltmeter the nearly 40 fuses to try and identify one that is 12v only when the ACC is on. All of them had a maintained 12v whether the ACC was on or off. The schematic here in the link below shows that fuse 27 is switched on only when the ACC relay is closed but that's not the case. Anyone know where I can find the right fuse location for ACC?

link >> Electronic Wiring Diagram
    Don't know what fuse to use for ACC but I would like to know too. I have the Thinkware F800 Pro. The link you sent was useful.

My question is what it the best way to route a wire from the front to back hidden. Not sure what panels to take off or how to take them off. I'v searched youtube but have not found anything for the 2018 Odyssey yet.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast