What's the verdict on the 9 speed transmission? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the verdict on the 9 speed transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by HondaBox View Post
    From what I've seen the ZF has been used in several different brands for many years. Not all variants have been issue free. Regardless My experience with it was bad enough that I don't care to deal with it again in any capacity. Even if it was just a software issue, Shame on Honda for outsourcing this transmission and releasing it in the TLX, Pilot, and MDX the way they did. Maybe in the new Odyssey they've worked it out and it's problem free. For those who have one or are considering a car with one I hope you guys won't have to experience what we went through. It really messed up the whole experience of a new car. Our MDX cost $55k. I expected a lot more at that price point.

We have a 2018 Elite. The ZF transmission was one of the most compelling deciding factors for me to get the top trim to avoid the ZF. We had a 2016 MDX with the same 9 spd. From everything I've seen in the MDX world, people prefer the 2014 (6spd) vs the subsequent years of the current generation with the ZF. Personally the transmission was just hard get use to even when it was working properly. I say working properly because we were told time and time again by the dealer that it was working properly until I came across the TBS. It stalled and lurched often. Especially from a dead start like at an intersection. Ours VIN was also part of the TSB to reprogram the computer to help or reduce the sensations mentioned, but the difference afterwards were negligible.

I would agree that most of the issues with the ZF are in low gear/speeds. At hwy it's fine. But my experience with it was bad. Programming or updates do not fix every car. As I mentioned above, the TSB on the MDX didn't really fix our issues as well as for many other owners. Some owners did say that either it did get better after the TSB or the problem went away. It would appears that the issues and fix are hit and miss. I'm sure for some of you with the ZF in your Odyssey it is just fine aside from the standard behavioral differences of a standard 5 or 6pd. For me personally I wasn't keen on gambling again.
    We would have considered a Touring (Canada/Elite USA), but the price is like $5,000 more than the EX-L RES we got and the only thing that we would have wanted from the option list of the Touring was the 10 speed transmission. $5,000 for a transmission was too much. While the 10 speed is reviewed to be smooth, it was designed in house by Honda and there are many past Honda transmissions that turned out to have problems down the road. I hope that isn't the case with the current new Honda 10 speed.
    2018 EX-L RES

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

In Canada with 9 speed, less than 3k km, mechanical issue and need new transmission.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's the verdict on the 9 speed transmission?-img_20180307_090654_1520541203508.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Yokai View Post
    In Canada with 9 speed, less than 3k km, mechanical issue and need new transmission.

Can you please provide more details like symptoms and how you discovered the problem, and what the dealer has to say about it. Hearty thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

1700km: transmission started making noise. (always make noise from 7 to 8 gear)
    2000km: harsh shifting on cold start.
    2600km: transmission slipping when u try to slow down and pick up speed right after.
    next day: knock sound from shifting then error message show up, transmission wont shift to any other gears including reverse. (it was holding in first or second gear)
    after restarting the vehicle, transmission was able to change gears but really jerky shift.
    today: drop off the car to dealership and confirm transmission have mechanical issues, won't release the vehicle until they replace the transmission.

9 SPEED Transmission is JOKE.
    i feel jerk more than 50% of times from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shifting.
    1st 1000 miles runs good. jerk starting after that. at 6 month today i have 3000 miles on it. and i would say honda will sink in if they dont do good for its transmission.

I have feeling that refresh model of 2018 which due on 2021 all models will be equipped with 10 speed like touring has.

My 9 speed is good for the most part, but there is the very noticeable jerk while shifting from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes 2nd to 3rd, as others have pointed out.

I'm coming from a POS vehicle with all sorts of problems so this almost seems like nitpicking to me over a minor detail on a pretty awesome vehicle.

Angry

Based on reading these comments on the transmission issues with the 2018 Odyssey, I have now almost decided that I will go with the 2019 Subaru Ascent instead of the 5'th generation Odyssey. Honda has given me enough sleepless nights worrying about about the transmission on my 2004 Odyssey. The 2004 Odyssey is a great vehicle, but I could have done without the heartburn that the worries about its transmission caused me. And, Honda really needs to learn a lesson on the Transmission front. Honda has a great 10-speed transmission now. And, yet it is shoving down that problematic ZF transmission down our throats. I used to be a great Honda fan. I am not sure anymore. So sad.

I don't want to spend almost $7000 to $8000 more in order to buy an Odyssey Touring to get that 10-speed Honda transmission. My ability is to pay for an EX or an EX-L (and I am already stretching my budget even to buy the EX), and so I should not be required to pay for a Touring. If Honda had a sense of earning customer loyalty from its die-hard fans like me, Honda would not be doing this to its customers.
    Last edited by salsolomon; 03-09-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by salsolomon View Post
    Based on reading these comments on the transmission issues with the 2018 Odyssey, I have now almost decided that I will go with the 2019 Subaru Ascent instead of the 5'th generation Odyssey. Honda has given me enough sleepless nights worrying about about the transmission on my 2004 Odyssey. The 2004 Odyssey is a great vehicle, but I could have done without the heartburn that the worries about its transmission caused me. And, Honda really needs to learn a lesson on the Transmission front. Honda has a great 10-speed transmission now. And, yet it is shoving down that problematic ZF transmission down our throats. I used to be a great Honda fan. I am not sure anymore. So sad.

I don't want to spend almost $7000 to $8000 more in order to buy an Odyssey Touring to get that 10-speed Honda transmission. My ability is to pay for an EX or an EX-L (and I am already stretching my budget even to buy the EX), and so I should not be required to pay for a Touring. If Honda had a sense of earning customer loyalty from its die-hard fans like me, Honda would not be doing this to its customers.

100% agree on your 2nd part on honda tranmission. i am honda fan since i came in US. but not anymore due to transmission.
    your 1st part I AM NOT AGREE. there is no direct comparision between these two you mentioned. LEG space for 3rd row is major issue. you getting 31" vs 38" big difference. adult cannot fit on 3rd row on subaru for longer than 30 min trip. Wait for 2019 Toyota Van.

Quote Originally Posted by pulseps View Post
    100% agree on your 2nd part on honda tranmission. i am honda fan since i came in US. but not anymore due to transmission.
    your 1st part I AM NOT AGREE. there is no direct comparision between these two you mentioned. LEG space for 3rd row is major issue. you getting 31" vs 38" big difference. adult cannot fit on 3rd row on subaru for longer than 30 min trip. Wait for 2019 Toyota Van.

Your point is well taken about legroom in the 3'rd row in an SUV like the Subaru Ascent. However, I will not buy the Toyota Sienna until Toyota fixes the Sienna's unibody frame. Please look into the IIHS website

Safety ratings

To me, the Sienna is not that safe a vehicle (at least according to IIHS and I have a lot of faith in IIHS) when it comes to the important small-overlap collision. I am sorry to say this in case someone over here is a Sienna fan, but that is my belief - I said the same on the siennachat group and some folks there got upset at me. But, the small overlap collisions can cause severe injuries and mortality. To me, nothing is more important than safety. The Odyssey is the only minivan that has received a rating of "Good" for both the the driver side and the passenger side. And, hence, I was ready to overcome some of the issues with the Odyssey and buy it anyway, because the Odyssey is definitely the safest minivan in the market, at least for now. However, the bean-counters at Honda Inc. are making it very difficult for me to continue doing the same with the Odyssey.

For now, my guess is that I will compromise on the legroom on the third row and buy the Suburu Ascent in August or Sept of 2019. Since most all Subarus have a "Good" rating for both the the driver side and the passenger side for the small-overlap test, even the Ascent will very likely have the same - all Subaru models now share the platform and have a somewhat common and similar well-designed unibody, thereby making the vehicle able to protect passenger, if even a small-overlap collision occurs.

The 9speed is not refined at all, I would consider it garbage (I bought an EX-L with one so, yes, I can say that). It's depressing to drive a brand new car with a transmission that feels worse than your average 10-year old dump.

Unfortunately, when test driving the vehicle you're driving around with a sales guy in the back seat talking about features. You're stunned with all the technology and your brain is more focused on testing what this or that shiny button does instead of paying attention to so many other factors.

After buying the car and letting all things set in, you start noticing that the transmission jerks when shifting gears up or down. It gets confused many times so it has to change gears again which causes the car to jerk yet again. You then start reading that it has presented so many problems in the past and doubt start setting in.... Your 4, 5, 6, 7 hundred dollar car payment starts to hurt a little more when you realize you just got a piece of junk.

My previous vehicle was a Kia Sorrento SXL (which was flawless by the way, drove like a 70k SUV). The dealer had this "24hr test drive" where they gave me a sorrento to try for a whole day/night. I wish more dealers did this. I would have probably detected the garbage the 9-speed is before committing to it.

So, if you're reading this and you already bought it: sorry, we're all on the same boat now.
    if you're reading this and you haven't bought it: Skip it. Seriously, save more money to get the 10-speed or go elsewhere (Kia/Toyota). That is my humble opinion. (Note: the Chrysler pacifica uses the SAME transmission built by the SAME manufacturer, so you're not safe there either)

Good luck everyone!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jrc87 View Post
    The 9speed is not refined at all, I would consider it garbage (I bought an EX-L with one so, yes, I can say that). It's depressing to drive a brand new car with a transmission that feels worse than your average 10-year old dump.

Unfortunately, when test driving the vehicle you're driving around with a sales guy in the back seat talking about features. You're stunned with all the technology and your brain is more focused on testing what this or that shiny button does instead of paying attention to so many other factors.

After buying the car and letting all things set in, you start noticing that the transmission jerks when shifting gears up or down. It gets confused many times so it has to change gears again which causes the car to jerk yet again. You then start reading that it has presented so many problems in the past and doubt start setting in.... Your 4, 5, 6, 7 hundred dollar car payment starts to hurt a little more when you realize you just got a piece of junk.

My previous vehicle was a Kia Sorrento SXL (which was flawless by the way, drove like a 70k SUV). The dealer had this "24hr test drive" where they gave me a sorrento to try for a whole day/night. I wish more dealers did this. I would have probably detected the garbage the 9-speed is before committing to it.

So, if you're reading this and you already bought it: sorry, we're all on the same boat now.
    if you're reading this and you haven't bought it: Skip it. Seriously, save more money to get the 10-speed or go elsewhere (Kia/Toyota). That is my humble opinion. (Note: the Chrysler pacifica uses the SAME transmission built by the SAME manufacturer, so you're not safe there either)

Good luck everyone!
    BEST DESCRIBED.
    I have 3 honda including this in my car history. 2 out of 3 has transmission issue.
    2001 accord - started badly jerking from 70,000 miles. i drove till 178,000 miles with that issue.
    2007 accord - no issue or sign of jerking (i thought honda solve issue)
    2018 ody - after 1000 initial miles i feel jerk from 1st to 2nd shift. also feel jerk from 2nd to 3rd or something even 3rd to 4th shift. my 75% driving time i feel jerk on 1st to 2nd ****.
    I DO NOT COMMANDED 9 SPEED TRANNY. GO WITH TOURING MODEL OR ELITE. (A VOICE OF HONDA'S SUPER FAN)

I have a Touring, but I had a loaner EX-L for a week while work was being performed on my vehicle, so I put the car though it's paces to compare them. I did specifically focus on the transmissions. I noticed several differences between the two. The 9 speed shifting is more jerky than the 10, and it seems to search for gears while just cruising at certain speeds around 40 mph. The 9 speed seemed louder, but that could have been a result of the extra noise dampening material in the Touring. All in all, they weren't significantly different, but enough to notice. For me the biggest difference came from executing passing maneuvers. When I punch it on the 10 speed, it drops gears and you have power quickly. The 9 speed was noticeably slower in this regard.

Good luck everyone!
    Thanks for your honesty and good advice, my friend. Folks like me truly appreciate it. About 3 months or so ago, I was all set to buy an 2018 Odyssey EX or an EX-L (wife wants leather), right away. But, I decided to check this forum. And, boy, I must say that the posters on this forum are most helpful, and they have steered me away from buying right away. Based on the advice by helpful posters, I will now either wait for Honda to fix these issues or will buy a 2019 Ascent. Not only folks like me, even Honda needs to heartily thank the posters on this forum. The posters on this forum raise a number of helpful issues that will help Honda make its products better, and Honda needs to (dilligently) address these issues ASAP.
    Last edited by salsolomon; 03-12-2018 at 09:25 PM.

The 9speed is not refined at all, I would consider it garbage
    Unfortunately, you are not alone.

I truly hope that Honda will release an improved transmission software for 9-speed 2018 Ody's that will shift smoother and hunt less. That's what Chrysler did for its models that use this same transmission. That initiative was directly ordered by CEO Sergio Marchionne in response to many customer complaints.

The 2018 is a terrific van. However, it's sad that its reputation is tarnished by this not-insignificant transmission issue.

I want it fixed by the time I buy mine.

So, start writing!

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    Unfortunately, you are not alone.

I truly hope that Honda will release an improved transmission software for 9-speed 2018 Ody's that will shift smoother and hunt less. That's what Chrysler did for its models that use this same transmission. That initiative was directly ordered by CEO Sergio Marchionne in response to many customer complaints.

The 2018 is a terrific van. However, it's sad that its reputation is tarnished by this not-insignificant transmission issue.

I want it fixed by the time I buy mine.

So, start writing!

Dave
    I agree with you davedrivesody. However, I will not buy the Odyssey this time around, if Honda does not bring in the 10-speed automatic into the EX trimline. I have suffered enough worries and heartburn, worrying about the transmission on my 2004 Odyssey - the 2004 Odyssey is simply fantastic other than the transmission. This time around, I am going to be extra vigilant. Under no circumstance am I going to go for any vehicle with that sullied 9-speed ZF transmission. If Honda wants to keep my business, it will need to earn it this time. If Honda does not bring in the 10-speed into the EX or EX-L trimline (and I fear that the bean counters at Honda are unlikely to do that), I will likely just go with the 2019 Ascent provided the IIHS certifies the Ascent as good on the small-overlap test for both the driver and the passenger side. :-)

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast