What's the verdict on the 9 speed transmission? - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the verdict on the 9 speed transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by salsolomon View Post
    Thanks for your honesty and good advice, my friend. Folks like me truly appreciate it. About 3 months or so ago, I was all set to buy an 2018 Odyssey EX or an EX-L (wife wants leather), right away. But, I decided to check this forum. And, boy, I must say that the posters on this forum are most helpful, and they have steered me away from buying right away. Based on the advice by helpful posters, I will now either wait for Honda to fix these issues or will buy a 2019 Ascent.
    If your primary alternative to an Odyssey is a 3-row SUV (the Subaru Ascent) then you probably don't need a van. Why not check out a Pilot? You don't even have to take the 9-speed transmission there; the 6-speed is still available. And you get AWD as well.

Not that this suggestion invalidates any of your points about the 9-speed in the Odyssey - it does need to be improved. But the "either/or" purchasing scenario you are laying out here doesn't make much sense if what the Odyssey offers checks off all of the must-haves on your shopping list.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I test drove both the 9 speed ZF and the 10 speed Honda in the Odyssey EX-L and Elite, respectively. You notice smoother shifting with the 10 speed, faster pick up with the 10 speed, and quieter operating with the 10 speeds since it can keep the engine at lower RPMs going down the highway. The 10 speed sold me on the Elite.

Quote Originally Posted by pulseps View Post
    I have feeling that refresh model of 2018 which due on 2021 all models will be equipped with 10 speed like touring has.
    If one believes that past history is a predictor of future behaviour, then you are almost sure to be correct. That is what happened in the gen 4 Odyssey; the 2011-2013 lower trim levels had the 5-speed auto, while Touring/Touring Elite got the 6-speed. Starting in 2014, all trim levels got the same 6-speed.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by salsolomon View Post
    the 10-speed into the EX or EX-L trimline
    Man, that would be awesome! Reviews of the 10-speed say that it's very smooth. However, I don't want to cough up the additional $$ for a Touring just to get the 10-speed.

I would guess that making the 10-speed in-house would be cheaper than buying the 9-speed from ZF. However, they may have insufficient supply to put it in EX and EX-L trims, at least in this its first year of production. Maybe later?...

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    However, they may have insufficient supply to put it in EX and EX-L trims, at least in this its first year of production. Maybe later?...

Dave
    That, and the fact that they sell less odysseys than let's say pilots. It's easier to gauge success/failure when you don't have your neck on the line.

Let's say the 10-speed is a success, then it's easy for them to expand the vehicles/trims using it.
    Now let's say the 10-speed flunks. In this case only few customers would get problems. They sell more EX-L than Elites (for example).

However, I do agree that they should/must look into getting out of the stupid 9-speed fiasco ASAP!. Probably the EX-L will get the 10-speed first then the EX then the LX in later model years? Who knows...
    Last edited by jrc87; 03-13-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrc87 View Post
    The 9speed is not refined at all, I would consider it garbage (I bought an EX-L with one so, yes, I can say that). It's depressing to drive a brand new car with a transmission that feels worse than your average 10-year old dump.

Unfortunately, when test driving the vehicle you're driving around with a sales guy in the back seat talking about features. You're stunned with all the technology and your brain is more focused on testing what this or that shiny button does instead of paying attention to so many other factors.

After buying the car and letting all things set in, you start noticing that the transmission jerks when shifting gears up or down. It gets confused many times so it has to change gears again which causes the car to jerk yet again. You then start reading that it has presented so many problems in the past and doubt start setting in.... Your 4, 5, 6, 7 hundred dollar car payment starts to hurt a little more when you realize you just got a piece of junk.

My previous vehicle was a Kia Sorrento SXL (which was flawless by the way, drove like a 70k SUV). The dealer had this "24hr test drive" where they gave me a sorrento to try for a whole day/night. I wish more dealers did this. I would have probably detected the garbage the 9-speed is before committing to it.

So, if you're reading this and you already bought it: sorry, we're all on the same boat now.
    if you're reading this and you haven't bought it: Skip it. Seriously, save more money to get the 10-speed or go elsewhere (Kia/Toyota). That is my humble opinion. (Note: the Chrysler pacifica uses the SAME transmission built by the SAME manufacturer, so you're not safe there either)

Good luck everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by pulseps View Post
    BEST DESCRIBED.
    I have 3 honda including this in my car history. 2 out of 3 has transmission issue.
    2001 accord - started badly jerking from 70,000 miles. i drove till 178,000 miles with that issue.
    2007 accord - no issue or sign of jerking (i thought honda solve issue)
    2018 ody - after 1000 initial miles i feel jerk from 1st to 2nd shift. also feel jerk from 2nd to 3rd or something even 3rd to 4th shift. my 75% driving time i feel jerk on 1st to 2nd ****.
    I DO NOT COMMANDED 9 SPEED TRANNY. GO WITH TOURING MODEL OR ELITE. (A VOICE OF HONDA'S SUPER FAN)
    +10000000 As an ex 2016 Acura MDX owner the ZF 9spd was total garbage. It made me almost walk away from Honda/Acura completely. I've been warning people over and over when I can on this forum to stay away from the 9 spd ZF. Several lower trim owners have argued that it's great, shifts like butter, smooth as can be ...etc etc. All I can say to that is these people are either in denial or they are extremely lucky. Either way there's been more than enough feedback from the Acura TLX, MDX, late model Pilot, and Odyssey owners to support that the ZF tranny is less than desirable even if they are operating as designed with the stalling and lurching sensation.
    2018 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite

In my opinion, the transmission is a monster. It fights me at every turn.

Most of the time on launch, it wants to immediately upshift (since we all have to worship at the altar of fuel efficiency), and I have to work it to get the acceleration I want. Sometimes, it just acts bizarrely. If I put my foot into it, it seems to go through a bunch of decision-making: it goes to higher RPMs, then briefly upshifts, then downshifts and makes a racket, all the while with not much happening at the tires. It will finally realize that I want to go briskly and will let the excellent engine do its thing.

It mightily resists downshifting if I want to squeeze on the power at mid to high speeds. I have to get into it more than I would like and then it downshifts and makes a racket and lunges ahead. Sometimes it makes a racket and I feel nothing at the tires for quite a while.

When coasting at low speeds, it seems to be in too low a gear and that causes lashing on small throttle changes. And even though it seems like it's in a low gear, it still takes forever to do anything if I want to increase my speed.

The silly "sport" mode makes it drive like a tractor with even more lash than in normal mode. It seems like a CVT, but is supposed to be a 9 speed.

It makes me pine for my beloved 2006 Odyssey that I traded in. That was probably the best auto transmission I have ever driven. It seemed to always be in the right gear, like when I was in a slowing coast and wanted to go faster, or in exiting a turn. It was ready and able to downshift with a bit of added throttle.

Oh, what happened? When did Honda start making Toyotas?

2019 Pilot ZF 9HP

Any idea if the "significant refinements" to the 2019 Pilot's ZF 9HP 9-speed automatic transmission were also applied to the 2019, or will be during the model year, or for the 2020 model year?

Quoted from https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar181705.html :

The advanced, nine-speed automatic transmission system was swamped with problems within the Honda and Acura lineups. Honda offered it with the 2015-2017 TLX, the 2016-2017 MDX, the 2016-2017 Pilot, and the 2018 Honda Odyssey, where customers and service technicians reported problems such as gasket leaks, or improper transmission assembly causing coolant and transmission fluids to mix. These problems could lead to extreme overheating or total failure of the transmission.

The service bulletins Honda handed to their technicians detailed the problems and it was concluded that, in rare instances, cars under warranty needed their transmission, transmission warmer, radiator, thermostat, coolant hoses, coolant reserve tank, and O-rings replaced.

The 2019 Honda Pilot shouldn’t have any of these problems. The press release did not actually detail the changes to the transmission, but it was noted that along with the updates, Honda made “significant refinements to its 9-speed automatic transmission (available in Touring and Elite trims).”

The ZF 9HP 9-speed automatic transmission in the Pilot should also provide a bit more engaging experience as it was reprogrammed with new software. As always, it moves with the 3.5-liter V-6 that develops 280 horsepower.
    And from https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hond...drive-review/:
    [Regarding 2016 Model]...still wasn't pleased with how the new ZF-supplied transmission behaved, noting poor acceleration and slow response from the paddle shifters. So it seems like Honda listened to us and to many customers who complained about the transmission's behavior. For 2019, the Pilot's nine-speed gearbox got hardware and software changes that address these issues. Honda replaced the clutch and hydraulics to help shift speed and consistency, and modified the valve structure to improve persistent shifts. Honda claims the response from the paddle shifters is faster, and that it's updated the shift selection strategy to maintain performance and combat shift frequency.

I just bought an LX a few weeks ago ... and did not pay any attention to the transmission differences between the 9 and 10 speed. I found this site after I bought it :/

I was really worried after reading all of the negative commentary about the 9 speed. However, I have already racked up over 5k miles, mostly meandering the mountains of Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado ... and I have to say that the transmission has been quite good for me. The paddle shifting works perfectly when I want to downshift before climbing a steep grade. When I forget to do that, it auto-downshifting worked very good, as well. I averaged almost 28.5 mpgs at 80 mph most of the time. The shifting is smooth and predictable, with none of the lurching or odd behavior others have described. I realize it is still too early to say its all great, but so far, I am quite happy.

On a side note: Still trying to figure out this whole VCM thing ... I cannot tell any change in how the motor is running unless I use the ECON MODE.

I have no issues with my 2019, 9-speed EX after 5K miles. I only notice a slightly hard shift to 2nd pulling out from my driveway first thing in the morning. By the time I get to the first stop sign (500 feet later), all is smooth. I find the van shifts smoothly, up and/or down.
    I still can't trannys have so many gears these days. Anyone remember those old 2-speed Chevy Novas?

Quote Originally Posted by TrucktoVan View Post
    I have no issues with my 2019, 9-speed EX after 5K miles. I only notice a slightly hard shift to 2nd pulling out from my driveway first thing in the morning. By the time I get to the first stop sign (500 feet later), all is smooth. I find the van shifts smoothly, up and/or down.
    I still can't trannys have so many gears these days. Anyone remember those old 2-speed Chevy Novas?
    I have a steep drive way and noticed that even when I manually shift to 1st gear, it seems to downshift again to climb up at slow speed (like 1-2 mph). Maybe you are feeling the same thing? I wish the display would also indicate the gear its in instead of just D.

Quote Originally Posted by xeoroe View Post
    I have a steep drive way and noticed that even when I manually shift to 1st gear, it seems to downshift again to climb up at slow speed (like 1-2 mph). Maybe you are feeling the same thing? I wish the display would also indicate the gear its in instead of just D.
    I back out of my driveway which slopes away from the house, so no climbing for me. I'm on the flat road with that first shift, and like I said, the next up shift from a stop is butter-smooth.

Great input folks! Seems to me, after reading these posts and the other posts about the the same subject, there is a world of difference between the 2018 and 2019, 9-speeds. The comments about the 2018 ones are all over the map: from rattling noises (like mine) to unpredictable and jerky shifting. There are far fewer comments like these about the 2019s. Unfortunately, it is sometimes difficult to tell from one's post whether he or she is driving the 2018 or 2019.

I wonder if Honda used the same trannys but different software? If so, it would be a simple matter of downloading the most recent updates. Something tells me there's more at play here between the two model year trannys. Perhaps they mechanically re-worked the 2019. If true, there's absolutely no hope for us 2018 suckers. One word explains why, "Profit." I just may go to my dealer and ask to drive a 2019 EX. (Mine is the 2018 EX). If there is a world of difference, they better explain why. I'll report the results of my comparison.

Thanks again for taking the time to contribute to this very important post .
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

Quote Originally Posted by xeoroe View Post
    I wish the display would also indicate the gear its in instead of just D.
    +1 that.

I rented a Chrysler 300 that displayed the active gear. I found it interesting to watch, especially with 8 gears to choose from. The Odyssey has even more.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Late to the party but our 2019 EX we just purchased shifts nicely (Build date October 2018). If it keeps performing status quo I'll be happy. Drove a 2018 EX-L back in September that seemed less refined, when i punched it there was noticeable lag as if it wasnt sure what gear to pick.

Only nitpicky thing that bothers me is the delay in between selecting Park, Drive, Reverse. Seems to take a second to engage after selecting, id like it to be instant.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast