What's the verdict on the 9 speed transmission? - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the verdict on the 9 speed transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by MayorOfSexyTown View Post
    Late to the party but our 2019 EX we just purchased shifts nicely (Build date October 2018). If it keeps performing status quo I'll be happy. Drove a 2018 EX-L back in September that seemed less refined, when i punched it there was noticeable lag as if it wasnt sure what gear to pick.

Only nitpicky thing that bothers me is the delay in between selecting Park, Drive, Reverse. Seems to take a second to engage after selecting, id like it to be instant.
    Anyone know if it’s instant on the 10 speed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

My Lx feels like it’s revving high with light power between first and second usually early in mornings. I’m not sure if this is the same issue as yours but it seems similar. Almost like it doesn’t know what gear to be in or even like a slipped gear or something. I only have two thousand miles on it and this is worrying me. I’m a new oddy owner so I’m not sure if this is normal for them or not. And it doesn’t do it all the time but it does it often enough. I don’t know anything about cars so if anyone has any feedback I’d greatly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanfluff View Post
    My Lx feels like it’s revving high with light power between first and second usually early in mornings.
    Delayed upshifts when cold was programmed into previous generation transmissions to help warm up the fluid faster.

No idea if it's the same for your 2019, but something to consider/research.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Same here Urbanfluff. On a cold start, my engine revs high and then jerks the tranny into it's first gear. On warm up, the shifting is smooth after a normal speed is obtained. On warm startups, you still feel like you're giving it too much gas - so much for trying to get good gas mileage. And forget ECON mode! Things are even worse. To leave a traffic light from a dead stop without having the idiot behind you slam into your back end, you have to practically floor it. That's because he or she ISN'T driving a Honda Odyssey 9-speed!!!

The knocking noise is consistent in all kinds of conditions. I'm very disappointed with the drive train of my Odyssey - especially after I drive the wife's 2012 CRV. It feels like a normal snappy car, and that's with ECON mode on!!

Someone once mentioned that the Odyssey drive train must learn how you drive your car and will adjust its shifting in accordance with your driving habits. If this is true, I wonder if there's a way to reset that software to factory specs so I can try "teaching" my tranny how to shift the way I want. Great! Now we have to train our cars how to operate properly. The older cars just did so without all this computer crapola!!!!!!
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

Quote Originally Posted by philharmonic View Post
    Originally Posted by MayorOfSexyTown
    Only nitpicky thing that bothers me is the delay in between selecting Park, Drive, Reverse. Seems to take a second to engage after selecting, id like it to be instant.
    Anyone know if it’s instant on the 10 speed?
    Nope - takes a second to switch between P-D-R.
    More like 2 seconds after ignition is turned ON and you are able to select Reverse to start driving out of the garage (MY'19 Elite with 10-speed).

HTH,
    a
    Last edited by bfadeev; 01-08-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Nope - take a second to switch between P-D-R. More like 2 seconds before ignition off, and ability to get Reverse to engage and start driving out of the garage on my MY'19 Elite with 10-speed.

Further proof that the 9-speed is a piece of s*** and the 10-speed is a winner. That's what we get for buying an Odyssey that's loaded with "surplus 9-speeds" from Germany, which Honda could never get to work right. Purchasing a 2018 Odyssey has taught me what NOT to buy in my next car.
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

The 9-speed is reportedly part of the 2019 line-up as well. Not sure for the Odyssey specifically, but heard it is generally targeted for Honda 3.5 motor options of various trims.

Bought a 2019 Odyssey LX and have about 1800 miles on it. About a week ago, we started to also experience a lag and hard shift between 2nd and 3rd gear. Sometimes 3rd to 4th too.
    I wish I would have stumbled on this thread a month sooner to avoid the dark road ahead of us and multiple trips to the dealership to get this fixed.
    At what point can I ask for an exchange for a different vehicle? Or buy back?

I've never had to file lemon law before. Hopefully it won't get to that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

2018 Ody here, the trans just started being rough as times as it shifts through. Taking it in, not impressed, has less than 30,000KM

Consumer Reports rates the Odyssey excellent in all areas except the electronics. There is no mention of any drivetrain, engine or tranny problems on the 2018 models.

18 EX-L The drive-train on mine annoys me. Sluggish shifting both up and down. Struggles to find the right gear. Gear lash when trying to maintain a 25 mph speed. When driving down a hill and attempting to downshift to slow down a little, the engine actually races and increases the speed of the vehicle for a feeling that it is a run-away for a few seconds. It eventually slows down the vehicle but you have gained 5-10 mph during the gear downshift process. I had the dealer service manager take a drive with me to show him the sloppy transmission gear shifting but got the typical, it's normal and no codes are showing a problem.
    I also have a problem with the an engine / transmission knocking noise when starting from a stop with light to moderate accelerator. It's highly pronounced if I hold my left foot on the brake and press the accelerator simulating an uphill load when starting. I'm going to take it in again to the dealer and hope I don't have to raise my voice to get some acknowledgment and get on the record that there is something wrong.

I also have a problem with the an engine / transmission knocking noise when starting from a stop with light to moderate accelerator. It's highly pronounced if I hold my left foot on the brake and press the accelerator simulating an uphill load when starting. I'm going to take it in again to the dealer and hope I don't have to raise my voice to get some acknowledgment and get on the record that there is something wrong.
    Same here, jzman from Wisconsin. I've been bitching about this knocking noise since day one, and Honda has told me on three occasions they're aware of the problem. How nice for them. PLEASE let me know what your "that's normal" dealer has to say about it.

One thing my dealer tried was, to disconnect the serpentine belt and drive the van slowly around the yard. Total silence! It's only when he re-installed the belt that the noise returned. I've tried the same thing with locking up the breaks and pressing the gas down. It knocks like crazy. One thing about that experiment - you can't get anymore than 1,400 RPMs out of the engine because of the safety cut-out system. They introduced this feature shortly after a Toyota customer died when she (he?) couldn't control the throttle due to a bunched up car mat.

Again, please keep us informed. You're the best...

My transmission has started shifting hard at times and will pause during acceleration then suddenly accelerate around 25 miles, but does not always happen some days once or twice other times very frequently. I had no problems until just over 12000 miles, so I dont feel it could be the dog clutch. I've been to the dealership and they agree it does not feel right but it is not throwing a code so Honda wont do anything. The car has been at the dealership for issues multiple times I dont think Honda has any clue what they are doing or how to fix anything. The dealership has been great though.

Nccp, my transmission is not smooth when cold but becomes smooth very quickly. Once in a while, when making a turn, and when I try to accelerate up to speed again, the transmission just dies - or the engine dies. I push the gas pedal and nothing happens. It's really cool when you get some idiot tailgating you and expects you to floor it just like his testosterone driven foot, but you just keep coasting. This type of failure is so rare, I won't waste my time taking it to the dealer.

Between that and the extremely annoying rattle noise, which is there all the time, I won't look at Honda ever again. I wish I had kept my '02. I fixed nothing on it except the standard wear items. I was an idiot for trading it in on this "techno-illogical" disaster, when it only had 180,000 km (112,000 miles) on it !

Hodna, that is really scary hope you report it to the NTSB.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast