What's the verdict on the 9 speed transmission? - Page 5
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What's the verdict on the 9 speed transmission?

Hi Nccp,

I'm going to monitor the loss of power very closely. If it happens more often, I'm definitely going to raise hell!
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TrucktoVan View Post
    I have no issues with my 2019, 9-speed EX after 5K miles. I only notice a slightly hard shift to 2nd pulling out from my driveway first thing in the morning. By the time I get to the first stop sign (500 feet later), all is smooth. I find the van shifts smoothly, up and/or down.
    I still can't trannys have so many gears these days. Anyone remember those old 2-speed Chevy Novas?
    I have no issues with my 2018 EX-L shift quality (I too notice an occasional hard shift to 2nd while pulling away but I consider that acceptable).

The real issue I have with my car is the rattle / tapping noise. It sounds like a muted Harley Davidson engine on take-off. Then as the engine rpm picks up, it sounds more like a harsh buzz. Once past 4th gear, I don't notice this sound. I can't figure out what the source of this noise is. You especially notice it when backing up an inclined driveway slowly....it's a tap tap tap sound.

It's a pity because I truly love this van minus this issue which constantly bothers me. I also don't know if this is going to cause a mechanical issue down the road. (I have 16000 miles on my Odyssey now)

Ditto here, Rosskoss. I'm sick to death with the rattle noise. Honda is doing nothing about it. I hope the transmission pukes all over the road while I'm still in the three year warranty period, so I can demand one that DOESN'T rattle. Apparently, some 9-speed owners claim their transmissions are dead quiet. Go figure??????
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Hello Hodna, i experienced same yersterday... i took a turn at good speed as no one was there, and all of sudden no life in engine or transmission ( engine rpm was still around 1800 mark). After few seconds transmission downshifted and revs upto 3000.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodna View Post
    Nccp, my transmission is not smooth when cold but becomes smooth very quickly. Once in a while, when making a turn, and when I try to accelerate up to speed again, the transmission just dies - or the engine dies. I push the gas pedal and nothing happens. It's really cool when you get some idiot tailgating you and expects you to floor it just like his testosterone driven foot, but you just keep coasting. This type of failure is so rare, I won't waste my time taking it to the dealer.

Between that and the extremely annoying rattle noise, which is there all the time, I won't look at Honda ever again. I wish I had kept my '02. I fixed nothing on it except the standard wear items. I was an idiot for trading it in on this "techno-illogical" disaster, when it only had 180,000 km (112,000 miles) on it !

Sad to hear that, can-quest. Like I said, if it persists I'm taking it back to the dealer. I have yet to book the rear door latches recall. Perhaps while it's there I'll get them to put the van on the computer and see if there's something amiss. Thanks for the update.

On another note - I just found out that a friend of ours just bought a 2018 EX. I'm going to try her van out to see if the transmission has that annoying rattle noise. If it's dead quiet, the sh** is going to hit the fan!!! News at 11:00 (LOL) .
    Last edited by Hodna; 04-09-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by can-quest View Post
    Hello Hodna, i experienced same yersterday... i took a turn at good speed as no one was there, and all of sudden no life in engine or transmission ( engine rpm was still around 1800 mark). After few seconds transmission downshifted and revs upto 3000.
    Same fricking issue with my honda transmission as well.
    while turning around 20mph or so and pressing gas... its like pressing paddle while car is shut off. nothing happen and then suddenly after 2 seconds its working...

transmission jerk slipping at 24mph is too normal for my 9speed.

I hate this model.
    reason is transmission.
    less power, slipping at 24mph are main issues.

Sorry to hear that, Pulseps. I'm really starting to suspect the Honda must be overwhelmed with complaints not only from us but their dealers. The dealers are taking a lot of heat about issues they are incapable of fixing, because Honda is either unwilling or unable to fix these issues.

I really don't know where we go from here. Class action lawsuit?? I'm open to suggestions.

Are these issues (9-speed tranny) only with 18 model year or also with 19? Looking to buy either 19 EXL Res or Sienna XLE premium. I like Sienna more, but the screen and navigation are not good compared to Honda.
    Currently have 06 EXL w/RES with 257k miles & 17 accord exl hybrid.
    p.s. i test drove Elite and EXL. Did not feel any difference in driving.

Bori9809, the 2019 uses the same 9-speed as the 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodna View Post
    Sorry to hear that, Pulseps. I'm really starting to suspect the Honda must be overwhelmed with complaints not only from us but their dealers. The dealers are taking a lot of heat about issues they are incapable of fixing, because Honda is either unwilling or unable to fix these issues.

I really don't know where we go from here. Class action lawsuit?? I'm open to suggestions.
    Hodna,
    I actually bring my van to dealer for transmission slip issue as soon as i felt it (at 1500 miles and 5 month old 2018 model).
    dealer then called me after testing it and says that this is normal behavior and we have nothing to do with it.
    This scenario lost my trust from both honda and dealer.
    If someone ask me which van to buy. i definitely not recommending odyssey for sure.
    I have purchased 8 year warranty so i am good for another 6 years if tranny completely fail. But what about ruff riding experience that i am dealing with?

HATE Honda Transmission.

You're not alone when it comes to the "feel and rough ride" of the transmission, Pulseps. The rattle noise and occasional indecisive shifting drives me nuts. I'm assuming Honda will do nothing about these crappy 9-speeds and instead of pursuing customer satisfaction like they did in the past, will put resources into dealing with a competitor who can get it right the first time around.

I didn't purchase the extended warranty. Between my two kids, they own three Hondas - two CRVs (2014 and 2018) and one Accord (2014). All three work flawlessly. They don't believe me when I tell them the new Odysseys are a piece of junk. Based on my kids' experience so far, Honda CAN produce a great product if they choose. I have no idea what is going on with the current Odysseys. One thing I do know for sure is, if this beast starts acting up, I'll deal it on a reliable van. As I see it, we're no worse off buying a Sienna or Pacifica - in fact we're probably better off.

There’s a lot of talk among U.S. folks on this site about class action lawsuits. I’d love to see that happen. The only thing the new Odysseys have going for them is the tremendous ride. As for build quality, design, and reliability – they’re turning out to be lemons. One member suggested that the “Millennials” are the ones building and designing these new Odysseys, and they are only concerned with the “toys.” The raw components have been given the brush-off. I believe him!!

Two other observations I want to point out -

a) I recently drove my friend's Honda Pilot Elite (older model) which also has the same 9-speed and I thought I heard the same rattle / tapping noise in my short drive. I believe that vehicle has more acoustic shielding so that may be the reason it wasn't louder. That vehicle has 60K miles on it and is still doing good (no mechanical issues....minus the noise)
    b) My dad has a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica which has the same 9-speed transmission and it is dead silent in that van. I hear none of the tap-tap acceleration noise that I hear in the Odyssey and it drives really well.

b) My dad has a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica which has the same 9-speed transmission and it is dead silent in that van. I hear none of the tap-tap acceleration noise that I hear in the Odyssey and it drives really well.

Interesting! I wonder why. How come Honda can't (won't) answer that question? Perhaps they do know why it rattles and won't spend the money to satisfy their customers.

Hodna, as you know I've had the same issues you have with the 9 speed transmission - sloppy indecisive shifting, hash shifting, etc. I am however beginning to wonder if the thumping noise we hear when starting out from a stop, is something engine related. An automatic transmission operationally doesn't seem to have a component structure to be able to make that noise. I'm just puzzled as to what it is.

I've wondered about the same thing in the back of my mind, jzman. I mentioned in an earlier post that when I took this problem to my dealer for the first time about a month after I took delivery, they disconnected the serpentine belt and drove the car around the lot. The result was dead silence!! It’s only when they reconnected the serpentine belt and put the engine under load that the rattle re-occurred. My service manager who has worked for Honda for 25 years was stumped. Could it be valve slap?

Whatever the cause, the totally useless and patronizing low life Millennials at Honda Corp who have nothing better to do all day but text, need to step up to the plate and come up with a solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast