What's the verdict on the 9 speed transmission? - Page 6
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What's the verdict on the 9 speed transmission?

If you had to buy a new van and had to choose between the three models down below (let say they about the same price of $35k) which one would you choose and why?

1. Ody EXL w/Nav_2019
    2. Sienna SE / Sienna XLE Prem_2019
    3. Chrysler Pacifica Limited_2019

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hodna View Post
    ... will put resources into dealing with a competitor who can get it right the first time around.
    ZF had a stellar reputation as a builder of automatic transmissions. Theirs are used in BMW, Porsche, Bentley, Sienna, Pacifica, and others. When Honda chose the ZF 9HP for the 2018 Odyssey, it seemed like the Odyssey's days of being dogged by transmission problems were over. Sadly, wrong.

But on point, if anyone could get it right the first time, it should have been ZF.

The ultimate irony may be that Honda's own 10-speed could be the giant-slayer.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

Good one, Dave ! You're probably right about the 10-speed. The only reason I can think of for Honda to stick us poor suckers with the crappy 9-speed is because they had crates of them left over and didn't want to get 5 cents on the dollar as scrap metal when they could charge a fortune for a piece of crap. There is no other reason Honda needed to offer two transmissions.
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Bori9809, I cannot offer an honest opinion because I haven't driven either of those vans; although I did own a Dodge Caravan for 10 flawless years of driving.

From what I have read, I would likely go with the Pacifica because it has the stowable center row seats. The old Odysseys were great cargo and family carriers. The 5th generation are strictly family carriers. Using them to carry ANY kind of cargo is a friggin' sick joke. I would also wager the Pacifica is every much as reliable as the Odyssey. Reason: both are built and designed by Americans. The HUGE line that used to separate a Japanese car from an American car is gone.

We can't ignore the fact that there are a some Odyssey owners on this site who have jumped ship and traded their Odysseys for a Sienna. For me, Honda is a giant snow man on a hot, sunny beach somewhere in Florida. It's only a matter of time...
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

Hodna, thank you! It looks like I won't be able to get Pacifica Limited Hybrid or regular Limited for anything close to 34k (my price target) even after $7.5 federal credit. Only Limited trim offers leather seats in Pacificas.

So the remaining two options (Ody & Sienna) are both made in the US. And it's not easy choice, though reliability wise Sienna seems like a better option.

I don't buy anything German. Never been reliable so I stayed clear of the 9spd. I've been burned too many times by the German quality bug, planned obsolescence with plastic pieces made to last just over 5 years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bori9809, I'm sure the Sienna would be a great van too. Keep in mind, it is likely the last of its generation and has a lot less electronics than the 5th generation Odyssey. It also has all the bugs worked out. The only negative I've heard is, the design is dated. Other than that...

It makes me wonder if Toyota is going to release a new generation in 2020 and avoid the moronic design and reliability issues found in the Odyssey. They will have had a few years to observe all the boondoggles on the Odyssey and the subsequent time to fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodna View Post
    The only negative I've heard is, the design is dated.
    Yeah, true that.

But IMHO design is a biggie. The Sienna looks bland from the outside, looks utilitarian on the inside, lacks technology, and handles like a pig (except the SE).

It inspires me not, but everyone has different criteria for choosing a car.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

The Sienna’s platform dates from 2003. It’s crash test results are materially below the Odyssey and Pacifica. https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/...mmary/minivans I took it off my list because I am not willing to trade any degree of safety for an incremental improvement in reliability.

Actually, I took it off my list because it is too ugly to ever consider owning. Toyota’s latest look has all their cars wearing big brushy mustaches, like they are in disguise or something. I find it bizarre...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post
    The Sienna’s platform dates from 2003. It’s crash test results are materially below the Odyssey and Pacifica. https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/...mmary/minivans I took it off my list because I am not willing to trade any degree of safety for an incremental improvement in reliability.

Actually, I took it off my list because it is too ugly to ever consider owning. Toyota’s latest look has all their cars wearing big brushy mustaches, like they are in disguise or something. I find it bizarre...
    Ok. Sienna out from my list too. SE Premium model w/Sport suspension that I wanted to check is not available in tri-state area (TX). Can only be 'specially' ordered :-)

19 Ody EXL w/NAV takes the first place. Secretly, I hoped to move away from Hondas :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bori9809 View Post
    Ok. Sienna out from my list too. SE Premium model w/Sport suspension that I wanted to check is not available in tri-state area (TX). Can only be 'specially' ordered :-)

19 Ody EXL w/NAV takes the first place. Secretly, I hoped to move away from Hondas :-)
    I have same one (18 EXL NAV) and believe me 19 is the same.
    every day my driving with ruff and jerks transmission providing me enough reason to hate Honda.
    However Sienna is out from my list due to its older design and driving statics.
    I suggest get 10 speed and spend 4000 more..

You can get 10 speed out the door with all taxes fees for 43k if you do good bargaining to right dealer.
    & Yeah.... 2020 is only few months away!

Good luck.

2020 is only few months away
    I really wonder if the 2020 release will make a big difference in Honda quality. So far with the 2018 and 2019 Odyssey releases, they have a piss poor track record. They would need to do a boat load of back pedaling to get the 2020s right. Add to that, they would still be under warranty obligations to the 2018 and 2019 customers - not an inexpensive fix!

I'd still look at Pacifica, and then the Odyssey 10-speed. Even then, with the Odyssey 10-speed you may be getting a superior transmission but also the same old issues: electronic, water leaks, unsolvable alignments, inadequate electrical supply, piss poor design features, and crappy Alabama build quality.

EDIT I just had a thought. Is it possible that Honda just doesn't give a damn about all our problems because the Odyssey represents such a small portion of their gross sales? It's a known fact that that the SUV market is the biggest player and will likely remain that way for a long time.
    Last edited by Hodna; Yesterday at 08:35 AM.

Hodna,

Good observation about the shrinking or small market for the minivans compared to SUVs, trucks, etc. But one would think Honda might consider the new Odyssey's low ratings on Honda's overall brand/marque reputation. Or maybe not?

I think you're right, Gen13Gent. Honda is not in the business of making "cars." They are in the business of making "money." The outlay for the R&D on any vehicle is huge. They are committed to the 5th generation, so it has to pay. If it becomes too much of an anchor, they'll go the way of the other automakers and drop the line. Until then, they're stuck with a cancerous model.

I also agree that it can have a negative impact on the sale of other Honda vehicles. Pretty well everyone knows that companies re-purpose a lot of their technology. If the "ABC device" doesn't work in the Odyssey, then it sure won't work in the Accord or Civic. It's funny how Honda had nightmares trying to get the 9-speed to work in the Pilot, and then they turn around and use it in the Odyssey. Perhaps they thought they had the problem fixed. Here's hoping they take our complaints seriously!

I think it's garbage. Shifting at 24 mph is rough as is 33 mph. No matter how I drive the car (accelerate more quickly or taking it easy, in Drive or sport mode). At higher speeds it's great but 24 and 33 mph suck.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast