Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Adding EX-L style USB charging to an EX

18K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  TSQ 
#1 ·
Here is a (somewhat) crazy idea. I just purchased a 2018 EX. We didn't get the EX-L because we really didn't want a sun roof and leather was not a big plus. The one thing that we would have really liked on the EX-L is the USB charging in the back seat, but that was not worth the extra $. The kids would really like it for iPads, phones, etc. on long trips.

I am thinking about installing some USB charging ports in the back of the van. The crazy part is, when I look at the wiring diagram, it looks like the wiring is (mostly) there for the factory EX-L ports. It seems the only thing that is needed is a little extension that plugs into the existing wiring in the console. So, for basically $150 in parts you could have "factory" USB ports in the back.

My question is, would it be better to go with aftermarket USB ports (cheaper, lower quality?, clearly add-on) or to try to use actual Honda parts?

Has anyone done anything like this? Any advice on taking apart the console?

#3 ·
There is a power port back in the luggage area and I was planning on using that for an adapter for the rear seat. That still leaves out the middle row. You could run an adapter from the power port on the dashboard, but now you are talking about a lot of extra wires cluttering up the interior. It is certainly something you could work around, but having USB charging on the second row would be worth it for us.

#4 ·
Well, I went ahead and added two additional USB charging ports for the second row. I used mostly OEM parts so it looks stock, but I ended up wiring it back to the front fuse box instead of using standard wiring harness. The EX has a charging port in the console next to the USB data port. If I wanted to use completely stock wiring I would have lost that USB port. I guess the EX-L doesn't have a charging port inside the console (other than the data port).

I did end up ordering an extra full front console wiring harness so I could get the goofy little connector to the USB module. Seems like a waste, but it was only about $20. The whole project was about $150.

The parts I ordered were
32118-THR-A21 (front wiring harness -- purchased only to get the connector to the USB module)
39113-THR-A01 (USB module)
39115-THR-A21 (Holder Assembly -- this is the part with the nice flip down covers for the USB ports)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]83430-THR-A31ZA (This is the panel on the back of the console with a cutout for the USB ports)[/FONT]

#12 ·
Well, I went ahead and added two additional USB charging ports for the second row. I used mostly OEM parts so it looks stock, but I ended up wiring it back to the front fuse box instead of using standard wiring harness. The EX has a charging port in the console next to the USB data port. If I wanted to use completely stock wiring I would have lost that USB port. I guess the EX-L doesn't have a charging port inside the console (other than the data port).
I sourced the panel, holder, and USB module from a wrecked vehicle to install in my 2019 EX but have not installed it yet.
Digital camera Camera Camera accessory Reflex camera Point-and-shoot camera

I noticed the green connector on the USB module is four pins - did you figure out the pinout? Or does the console harness (32118-THR-A21) take it down to two wires? I will probably run it to the front fuse box as well - did you just use an add-a-fuse kit?
Fluid Font Electronic device Gas Technology

#7 ·
That looks nice. I thought about doing something like that but I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in a brand new car. Did you need to take the side panel off the back or did you fish the wire? I ran into trouble removing the side hooks that hold the trim piece below the hatch and the side panels when I was installing the wiring for a trailer. I didn't try that hard because I found a method that I like better and I was afraid I would mangle the hooks removing them.

#9 ·
I know this post is old, but just wanted to let you guys know that it was helpful to me in adding USB ports at the back of the center console of my 2018 EX.

Now onto wireless charging, but I'll add to an existing thread on that. :)

#10 ·
I know this post is old, but just wanted to let you guys know that it was helpful to me in adding USB ports at the back of the center console of my 2018 EX.

Now onto wireless charging, but I'll add to an existing thread on that. :)
Thanks for the guide! I just installed a set myself and wanted to mention a few tips for those that follow albeit coming from a novice in car modification.

Once you have the 4 console bolts removed, you can tilt up the console allowing your fingers to get between the floor and the the rear panel (for identification search center console rear trim or part # 83421-THR-A01ZB but it's essentially what you see below). I was able to pull the bottom toward the back of the van and the three lower clips came off really easy but the top clips are a bit of a problem. There is a horizontal clip attaching the rear panel to main body of the console (Box Assembly Part # 83428-THR-A01ZB) and there is also a vertical clip that attaches the rear panel to the top panel (Panel assembly with cup holders part # 83416-THR-A11ZA) on the console so you really need to pop off the top trim before you can fully remove the rear panel. I was lucky and pulled hard on the bottom of the rear panel and it popped off the top panel at the same time but it could have very well snapped a clip or two instead.

#11 ·
Thanks for the post, this is exactly what I am looking to do once I get my hands on a new 2022 Odyssey EX. If I don't get lucky and have the top panel pop off with the back panel, how would you recommend getting the top panel off? It looks like from the diagram that there are a couple screws holing it on?

#14 ·
Finally found time to work on this.

The green connector has four pins, pin #1 is the one closest to the edge of the housing.
Circuit component Adapter Gadget Battery charger Cable

Pin #1 = no connection (does not go anywhere on the board)
Pin #2 = "turn on" signal, can be connected to ACC (or IGN) to turn on when the vehicle is on, or directly to Battery+ to have it always on
Pin #3 = Battery+ (12V+)
Pin #4 = Battery- (GND)

Seems to work OK - my Pixel 5 connects (ironically) using Apple's 2.4 amp charging protocol (the phone was pretty much charged so wasn't drawing much power). Fairly substantial voltage drop though (but it might just be my cheap USB tester - I didn't check with my meter).
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Microcontroller

Unfortunately winter arrived so I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to install it. Hopefully before Christmas. I'll update this thread with the van side wiring once I get into the console.

#15 ·
It was warm the other day so I got this installed.

Originally my plan was to wire it to an Add-A-Fuse in fusebox above the driver's footwell.

I did a little research and found that in a factory install it shares a common B+ (12V), B- (GND) and ACC/IGN with the USB charger inside the console. With this in mind I took the top and rear panels off the console (easy to do, need a plastic trim removal tool kit and a phillips screwdriver - start the top piece at the back). After also removing the front panel and the tray insert it is relatively easy to find the connector for the inside console USB charger (this connector will also plug directly into the 2nd row USB charger). Black is B- (GND), Purple is ACC/IGN, and Beige is B+ (12V). My thought at this point was to make a "Y" adapter using 0.1" connectors and 20AWG wire (one male to two females).

Then I noticed an unused connector under the tray insert, which turns out to be the connector for the optional wireless charger (with five wires in it). A bit more probing around revealed that it also had the three required wires on it: Black is B- (GND), Purple is ACC/IGN, and the large White (next to the Purple) is B+ (12V). The small Green/White appear to be a CANbus connection. As I never plan to install wireless charging and this connector was super easy to work with I decided to harvest it to power the 2nd row dual USB charger instead.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Motor vehicle

I ended up cutting the connector off (disconnect your battery negative first) and carefully individually isolating and securing the CANbus connectors out of the way (cut them the same length). Then I grabbed a pre-wired three pin female 0.1" connector and soldered the ends of the three wires (I used a ~8" length, which worked out perfectly) onto the B-, B+, and ACC/IGN and heatshrinked everything. It was easy to route through the side on the console (pop the top of the sides off) to where it needed to go.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel Car

After that it was just a matter of removing the blank panel and installing the dual USB charger into the rear console panel (two screws and four clips), plugging it in, testing it, and reinstalling and the console trim pieces.

I believe the wireless charger fuse (now my 2nd row USB charger fuse) is B18 (under-hood fuse box).

Any of the three methods would have worked, they all have their own pros and cons.

All in it cost me less than US$50 to install OEM 2nd row USB charging.

#16 ·
Then I noticed an unused connector under the tray insert, which turns out to be the connector for the optional wireless charger (with five wires in it). A bit more probing around revealed that it also had the three required wires on it: Black is B- (GND), Purple is ACC/IGN, and the large White (next to the Purple) is B+ (12V). The small Green/White appear to be a CANbus connection. As I never plan to install wireless charging and this connector was super easy to work with I decided to harvest it to power the 2nd row dual USB charger instead.
View attachment 165784
Do you recall exactly where you found this gray connector? I’m trying to install the OEM wireless charger in my EX and have been led to believe by other internet EX owners that this connector does not exist except in EX-L and above. Thanks to your posts about the connector, at least I know which pins on the charger unit are power, ACC, and CanBUS in case I need to go the stealing and splicing route, (thank you so much for your posts!) but if the 7 pin 5 wire connector is actually tucked in there hidden somewhere that would obviously be preferred.

#17 ·
Mine was just clipped to the bottom of the tray where the wireless charger installs. It is possible that different years and/or regions have different console harnesses.

The OEM wireless charger instructions (can be found here: Honda online store : 2019 Odyssey Accessory installation (DIY) instructions) lead me to believe that the connector should be present on all 2019 vans.

What year is your van?

You could also get a one day subscription to Service Information System (Service Express) to see if your van has it (and anything else you want to know about it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.