2018 Ody Drivers door not unlocking
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Ody Drivers door not unlocking

2018 Ody Drivers door not unlocking

After 2 months of ownership, my drivers door is periodically not unlocking while all the other doors on van are unlocked. It happens both when I either unlocked by proximity of the remote, or by pressing the unlock button on the remote several times. I have to open the back sliding door and slip my arm in to open drivers door. Most of the time it unlocks fine, but periodically this is happening where the drivers door will not unlock, it just beeps at me and all the other doors are unlocked. I could not find anything in the manual. Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

My wife just complained of this same issue. She seems to think it is caused by first opening doors other than the drivers door. But it just started happening so we haven't had the opportunity to experiment much.

I also haven't dug into the programmable lock settings to figure out if there are settings that might affect this issue.

I witnessed the problem yesterday. This time my wife first opened the trunk via proximity and the button on the hatch. When she went to the drivers side door it was locked, but the sliding doors were unlocked.

She called me over to see it. When I tried opening the drivers door with my fob in my pocket, the van beeped like it was attempting to unlock but nothing happened.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I had the same problem with my 2018. The problem is with the mechanical cables that run from the “lock actuator” to the the lever that that you can pull on from inside the vehicle to open the door. There are 2 cables one is connected from the door pull lever back to the acutator. The 2nd cable runs from the small cam-like item that rotates to mechanically lock the door.

There was a kink in the cable that runs from the door-lock cam to the acutator. These were my symptoms:

1. Sometimes the driver’s door would not unlock.
    2. All other doors unlocked with the key fob.
    3. All other doors unlocked with he lock/unlock buttons on the drivers door.
    4. Pulling on the drivers door handle made the beep sound to indicate that it the keyless entry
    system was working.

The following actions would unlock the driver’s door:
    1. Using the old-school mechanical key in the key fob to run the lock cylinder on the dirver’s door handle.
    2. Pulling on the internal door handle on the driver’s door. The movement of this lever, also, moves the lock-cam and releases the mechanism that physically locks the door. The internal door handles pulls on both of the cables.

Here is how I got the dealer to fix the problem under warrantee:

1. Pre-ordered the lock acutator at my cost to ensure that it was in stock at my dealership. I paid for the part and explained to the part’s manager that when I brought the car in for service that If Honda would not authorize the repair that I would pay for the parts and repair my self and then work with Honda customer service to reimburse me.
    2. Once the driver’s door lock failed to unlock, I crawled into the car from the passenger side and drove to the dealer.
    3. Once at the dealer, I exited the car through the passenger door and locked the car with the key fob. I left the car locked and blocking other cars from getting into the service bay. I took the keys with me to go talk to the service writer.
    4. I waited until one of the service attendents found me and asked if he good borrow the keys and move my car. I feigned stupidity for locking the car, apologized, and handed him the key.
    5. I then went to speak with the service written and asked him to watch the service attendents and my car. It took two of them about 10 minutes to figure out how to get into the car and move it.
    6. Now that the problem had demonstrated to be very irritating to dealership employees and myself it was no problem getting it fixed at no cost.

The tech replaced the lock acutator and then found the problem was in the mechanical cables.

You might want to preorder both the lock acutator and the cables. The cables are part of the internal door lever and lock cam and are sold as an assembly.

As an aside, the lock acutator is shared with CRVs build for the last several years. The part is NOT unique to the 2018 Odyssey.

Gary D.

Thank Gary, that was very helpful. My symptoms match yours exactly, and it can happen without using any other door first like some others suspect. It is amazing what you had to do to get it covered by warranty service. I think I am going to try the exact same thing and catch it while it is stuck, with the cable part pre-ordered at the dealer already.

Honda corporate insists that problems be 100% reproducible. I understand why they take this position. However, nowhere in the warrantee does it say that they only warrant the easy stuff.

You will get a lot more attention if the problem is safety related. The steering wheel turns full left when you are doing 65, the brakes lock up without warning or the engine just stops running. These sort of issues get the highest priority because they often come with lawyers.

This is my 5th Honda and I have had them all serviced at the same dealership. On some of the previous cars, I have gotten into the loop where Honda corporate has refused to authorize warrantee repairs based on the fact that may not fail for the technician on demand. I have worked with the service manager, parts managers and service writers at the dealership and with Honda customer support.

If I can make the problem reproducible, I can get it fixed quickly and easily.

Good luck with your dealer. I hope that your repair will be as much fun as was mine.

Gary D

Mine just developed this problem. Grateful for the write up here, I thought I was losing my mind.

I have had the same drivers door unlocking problem with my 4-month old 2018 Odyssey for over a month. I will go to the dealer asap. Thank you for your kind article.

Kevin P.

We purchased this Odyssey Jan 29, 2018 and I have been having this problem exactly except with regard to dizigel's above statement - mine happens no matter what method I use to unlock the doors or which door I attempt to open first (most of the time I was only opening the driver door). It started at least 2 weeks after we got the vehicle but it was very random.
    That is it was random until the weather got hotter and at that point the problem worsened to almost an every day happening. Which actually worked in my favor for reproducibility as I am 8 months pregnant and unable to climb over the seats/console to drive to the dealership without opening the driver door. One day when I was out and about it happened 3 times in a row! I figured that was my shot to get it to the dealership. Sure enough, upon arriving at the dealership it happened again immediately. And apparently in their garage it happened consistently the whole time.
    I did not order the part in advance but it only took them 2 days to get it in. I didn't mind the wait for the first diagnosis as it was only 1.5 hours and I had a book. Our dealership recently opened this new location and it has a very nice service waiting area with complimentary drinks, snacks and shuttle. So I made use of it all in my endeavor to get this problem fixed. And I had zero problems with the service department fixing it on the warranty. They were terrific.
    Best wishes to anyone running into this same frustrating problem! I hope your warranty service is as easy an experience as mine has been.

So today I entered the van through the drivers side sliding door and crawled over the center counsel to get behind the wheel. My 5th Odyssey is truly beginning to try my patience. My language is deteriorating. I love my Odysseys but I am 66 with back issues and the time I am spending dealing with crap issues is simply not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by robie View Post
    So today I entered the van through the drivers side sliding door and crawled over the center counsel to get behind the wheel. My 5th Odyssey is truly beginning to try my patience. My language is deteriorating. I love my Odysseys but I am 66 with back issues and the time I am spending dealing with crap issues is simply not acceptable.
    Have you tried using your door key into drivers side from your FOB? I know this is not a fix but at least you do not have to crawl through your van.

Make a hook out of a broom stick that you can reach across from the passenger side and snag the inside latch or maybe just lower the driver's window so you can reach the inside latch?

At 6'6" and 300 plus pounds with mobility issues from old injuries this topic has me looking for options.

Thanks DJVAN. I probably would have figured that out if I hadn’t been so frigging mad. It came after a long week of lock related issues.

Quote Originally Posted by robie View Post
    Thanks DJVAN. I probably would have figured that out if I hadn’t been so frigging mad. It came after a long week of lock related issues.
    Does this actually happen intermittently? Or this is the first time? I am beginning to think the cars CPU when receiving the command to unlock the doors does not keep the DC voltage on long enough to get some door lock solenoids to energize fully opening the lock. Lets say they energize for only 350ms which opens up most lock solenoids, however the solenoids that Honda is buying are not what the manufacturer lock solenoid made now requires 500ms to operate properly. Would not be the first time that this has happened in the electrical/electronic world, as the manufacturer will change their specifications without notifying Honda.

Just a passing thought, as I do not know if Honda can change the timing on how long they apply power to the solenoid or not.

Are you the Robie with AIS issues also? I have those issues I’m going to go post about, but I’m now having lock issues and I just received the display warning that “anti-theft system has lost power. Press button and hold for a few seconds to restore” which has happened to me at east four times over last 6 months. Yesterday that happened and immediately upon my next startup and drive the AIS worked perfectly after no action for over week. I was just about to try the “bad wolf “ startup! Lol

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast