2018 v 2019? Other than price, any pro for 2019?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 v 2019? Other than price, any pro for 2019?

2018 v 2019? Other than price, any pro for 2019?

ODY fans,
    I'm going to buy a new EX-L in the next few days to replace our 2006. I know the 2019 MSRP is $150 more than the 2018, no big deal. However, dealers are telling me there is much bigger actual sales price - that the 2019 will cost "a lot" more than the 2018. I know the conventional wisdom is to go with the 2nd year of a new model assuming some of kinks/problems of the first year have been fixed. However, I'm not hearing about any fixes in the 2019, maybe I missed some or am misinformed.

I don't mind paying $200 to $500 more for a 2019 over a 2018 if there's a good reason.

Is there any real pro to get a 2019 over a 2018 EX-L?

Thank you in advance!

SF Bay Area/ Northern California

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Nope.. I think you get an extra USB port in the console or something, but that's all I can think of. Most bugs are software related and get fixed via system updates. If you get a much better price on a 2018, I'd go with the 2018.

Go for best price but if was only a few hundred in savings I’d opt for the 2019 if only for a higher resale value down the road. 99.9% the same vehicle from what I’ve read

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

2018 could be essentially the same van with quality equal to 2019, but it depends on the date of manufacture.

All car manufacturers make continuous improvements to assembly, parts, and software. They don't wait for a model year switch. So a recent 2018 likely has all the improvements that a 2019 has, minus any new features of course. However, 2019 production began several months ago, so even the most recent 2018 is getting relatively long in the tooth compared with a 2019.

If you plan to keep the new van for a long time, the extra depreciation with the 2018 isn't a concern. However, it could impact the resale value if you sell within the next 5 years.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

All good suggestions, bawhitten. Beware, the nine speeds still have the "rattling transmission sound" on acceleration. Honda has yet to figure out why this is happening, even after asking us for $45,000 plus, for a car. The ten speeds are dead quiet. If your budget permits, look at a model with the ten speed transmission. Just my thoughts.
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

We went with the '18 because of the 1.9% financing. Was able to put that $$ saved towards a 7 year/100K warranty. Seemed like a good idea. Build date on ours is 12/17.

The big advantage to the '18 is the current financing deal. Can't get that on the '19 because they're trying to clear the lots of the '18's. The only other difference that I'm aware of is the extra USB port mentioned previously.

I had a Honda mechanic say there were a lot of electrical issues with the '18 model. It's the #1 issue cited at carcomplaints.com, but some of the specific complaints seem like they might be user related. Hard to tell.

I paid cash so I went with a '19 for resale purposes (1 year newer when I trade it in). No issues so far and light years ahead of the '15 Elite I traded in. Tech, fit and finish, and the 10-speed transmission are all huge differentiators. No previously mentioned rattle noise in the tranny and a compass at the center of the driver's display, if you want it on (part of the Nav system).

SW Michigan area.

Good luck!

Z

--------------------------------
    2019 Touring Elite

Right your are, Z. The nine speeds are noisy. I don't understand the logic of offering two different transmissions. Perhaps towing? Had I known, I would have spent a bit more for the 10 speed, although it would have been about another $6,000 with tax! Cars are already way overpriced.
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

It's interesting to read recommendations for the 10 speed model. I've read many complaints on here about it. You might want to take a look at those threads. I have the 2018 EX-L Navi/RES. Bought it in July '17. I haven't had issues. Yes, the 10 speed was also thousands over the model I bought. If you're a Costco member, check out the price through them. I saved thousands. Good luck with your search.

$50k van with only front AC venting to the 2nd and third row seats. What a shame! Check the AC cooling in the back before buying! I was shocked reading about no rear AC in 2018 ody. What it means is the rear seats will take a longer time to cool off loud fan in the front to push the air to the rear.
    2005 EXL

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    $50k van with only front AC venting to the 2nd and third row seats. What a shame! Check the AC cooling in the back before buying! I was shocked reading about no rear AC in 2018 ody. What it means is the rear seats will take a longer time to cool off loud fan in the front to push the air to the rear.
    huh? there are both second and third row vents.

Quote Originally Posted by Snikwah View Post
    huh? there are both second and third row vents.
    correct...I can confirm there is only ONE evaporator for the entire van...Honda removed the 2nd/rear evaporator for this new generation...
    additionally, Honda in its wisdom decided to duct all airflow to the floor and then onto the 2nd and 3rd pillars...no ceiling vents now...those were also eliminated...hope you don't have rear facing child seats...

It's still a great car, but as for the Honda engineers and their dumb designs and so-called "improvements"...someone had to come last in the graduating class.

Quote Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
    correct...I can confirm there is only ONE evaporator for the entire van...Honda removed the 2nd/rear evaporator for this new generation...
    additionally, Honda in its wisdom decided to duct all airflow to the floor and then onto the 2nd and 3rd pillars...no ceiling vents now...those were also eliminated...hope you don't have rear facing child seats...
    All in the name of cost cutting. How about the cheaper 3rd row seats and no armrest padding. Also the centre armrest in the 3rd row is gone along with the interior chrome door handles. If you look closely you can find many savings At the same time they do add a lot of features.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
    I can confirm there is only ONE evaporator for the entire van...
    As an aspiring Gen 5 owner, I would prefer to see opinions of the AC's performance, not merely repetition of the fact that it has a single evaporator, implying that it is inferior.

Intercity bus HVAC systems cool very well using as few as a single evaporator for about 40 passengers.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast