CarPlay and Siri Issues - Page 4
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CarPlay and Siri Issues

Mine started working today after months and several dealer trips, took my car in for an oil change yesterday (2018 elite) . Tried it and it worked. I have an iPhone XS and T-Mobile. No updates that I know of were pushed out. Don’t know how long it will work for.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

To follow up, I took my 2018 Ody Touring in for service today. I was told that they reset and updated the head unit, which did resolve the issue of the Garmin GPS refusing to update. Unfortunately, the Siri CarPlay issue persists. Boo! Of note, my iPhone and cable worked flawlessly in the 2019 Ody they loaned me for the day. Is this just a 2018 issue?

Quote Originally Posted by theody View Post
    My 2018 Canadian Ody Touring suffers from the same Siri issue. Once the trial period for the built in mobile data plan expired, I was unable to use Siri without the workaround that has been detailed in this thread. I assume that the built in data plan was masking the issue until it expired.

I use an iPhone X which was purchased directly from Apple, unlocked. I have tried a couple different SIM cards from different mobile carriers, without any success. The same iPhone works flawlessly on other Carplay systems. This issue appears to be a problem with Honda's hardware and/or software, not a carrier issue.

The only other issue with the head unit is the inability to download/upgrade the maps for the built in Garmin Navigation. I mention this only to see if those of you with the Siri issue also suffer from a Garmin upgrade problem. I'm curious if they are linked and am not attempting to redirect the thread topic. I have a warranty appointment in a few weeks and will report back if I have any success.

Anyone solved this issue? It's aggravating my wife on her 2018 Touring...

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

My phone had this issue for a while and has since cleared. I assumed it was due to an iOS upgrade

Another update; My 2018 Ody Touring was in to the dealer to have the Active Noise Cancelling module replaced today. Again, I pointed out that the Siri functionality was not working. Of note, the Garmin GPS won't update either, despite my previous post where it appeared fixed. I mention the GPS because these two functions share the same USB port on my 2018.

When I returned to pickup the Ody, I was told the Siri problem could not be duplicated and that the Honda "Tech line" was certain my phone was the problem. The service technician was happy to accompany me to the 2019 Ody they had loaned me, where I demonstrated that my phone, and Siri, worked flawlessly. Of note, I turned off both the bluetooth and wifi in both of the vans prior to the tests, to ensure my iphone was the only data connection. Only my 2018 displayed the "Siri not available Internet connection lost" message. The 2019 worked. When we turned the wifi on in my 2018, it connected to the dealer's wifi and Siri began to work. Thankfully, the dealer understood that the van is not connected to wifi when it's driving down the road and that there is obviously an issue with how the head unit is connecting to my iphone.

After the demonstration there was little to debate about the existence of a problem with my van. They ordered a new radio unit. I'll update the thread when that repair happens.

I posted to the forum months ago stating that the replacement audio unit solved my problem but I soon realized that my phone worked because it was hooked up to my home Wi-Fi. After going back to the dealer repeatedly and hearing that they were waiting for software updates for my car to come through I finally was put in touch with a representative from Honda who handles much of the Northeast region. He told me that in the end he believed that it was my phone and or carrier that was to blame. I proceeded to replace my iPhone X with a new iPhone XS which did not work. I’m currently in the process of pursuing a different route to get a resolution to this matter. I feel like I along with many others are at the mercy of Honda who seems to be throwing up their hands and not knowing how to proceed. I should also add that I did have a case # with Honda after failing at the dealer level. My case manager pursued the buyback option but was turned down by her superiors because they referenced the regional reps determination that it was a phone and/or carrier issue. I will hopefully follow up with some better news soon.

Quote Originally Posted by vermontdad View Post
    I posted to the forum months ago stating that the replacement audio unit solved my problem but I soon realized that my phone worked because it was hooked up to my home Wi-Fi. After going back to the dealer repeatedly and hearing that they were waiting for software updates for my car to come through I finally was put in touch with a representative from Honda who handles much of the Northeast region. He told me that in the end he believed that it was my phone and or carrier that was to blame. I proceeded to replace my iPhone X with a new iPhone XS which did not work. I’m currently in the process of pursuing a different route to get a resolution to this matter. I feel like I along with many others are at the mercy of Honda who seems to be throwing up their hands and not knowing how to proceed. I should also add that I did have a case # with Honda after failing at the dealer level. My case manager pursued the buyback option but was turned down by her superiors because they referenced the regional reps determination that it was a phone and/or carrier issue. I will hopefully follow up with some better news soon.
    Thanks. I have the same issue and looking forward to your updates. Is your carrier T-Mobile?

I found another solution to this problem. I purchased the cheapest cellular plan through AT&T for my Honda Odyssey (1GB monthly). I actually keep the car’s WiFi off and don’t use any of that data but somehow this resolved the issue. I use Siri in my odyssey with no issues now 100 percent of the time.

I still think this is ultimately Honda’s fault as CarPlay works in every other car I tried (including Acura). If there was enough interest i think an appropriate course of action would have been an class action lawsuit against Honda but after having been personally insulted and called an “idiot” in a separate thread I decided it’s not a fight worth fighting.

Try the solution above....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My service is with Xfinity mobile. They use Verizon’s network. It’s up to Honda corporate now. The service folks have been great but their hands are tied. I’ll update everyone when I hear something.

I am eager to hear what the fix to this issue is. I have the 2018 Odyssey LX, and it is making me nuts!

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234