2019 Odyssey New Owner Thoughts (600 Mile Trip)
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: 2019 Odyssey New Owner Thoughts (600 Mile Trip)

2019 Odyssey New Owner Thoughts (600 Mile Trip)

Picked up our 2019 EX in White last Saturday. We sold our 2018 CRV private party to make room for the addition. If i could sum up the last 600 miles we have put on it in 4- 5 days it would be:

I LOVE this vehicle!!!

Engine: Perfectly sufficient in my views for passing slower vehicles etc. Seems to work well with the 9 speed tranny that i was hesitant about. Also returning an average of 25 mpg over 600 miles albeit most of this was in excess of 70 mph highway driving.

Transmission: I was a little hesitant here as i test drove an EX-L a couple months ago and tranny seemed laggy on kickdown. I have not experienced any of that with our vehicle. If it maintains its current operation i will be very pleased.

Interior: We got the EX so i could reclaim the additional 2" of headspace that wouldve been devoured by the sunroof. I miss the leather but loving the cavernous interior. Cloth seats are comfy and armrests are welcome addition over 2018 CRV. Feels like we are driving in our living room. Some creature comforts such as power lift gate and homelink garage opener not on it but small price to pay to delete that sunroof for me.

Exterior: I personally love the way it looks in white. Plan on getting ceramic tint and buying some factory 19" that the Elites come with. Should look like a StormTrooper when done.

Range: Very pleased with Range before having to refill. The CRV felt like it had a smallish range and constantly filling it up. This thing is much nicer.

Upgrades Purchased waiting to deliver:

Heated Steering Wheel
    Homelink Mirror
    Bodyside Protective Molding
    Rock Guards

Upgrades Planned:

Ceramic Tint (sold on the reduction in heat transfer)
    19'' Elite Wheels
    Michelin X Ice on factory 18's
    Costco RoadWire Leather upgrade (TBD depending on how much fuss wife makes)
    Hyannis Extended Warranty

Closing thoughts-

I hope I continue to be as impressed with this vehicle as i currently am. I picked it up from the dealership with only 6 miles on the odometer, they said it was only on the lot for a week or two. It would be great if some of the bugs were worked out of the 19's. I feel like I got a great deal at $30,699 before sales tax at .9% financing. A lot of good information on this forum made it possible.

For some reason i have trouble posting pics on here, but here is picture of it in my garage from CRV sister forum.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums...inally-me.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like you are having as much fun as I am.

19'' Elite Wheels
    Michelin X Ice on factory 18's
    What does this mean in your upgrades planned?

Quote Originally Posted by xeoroe View Post
    What does this mean in your upgrades planned?
    He put winter tires on his factory 18” wheels. Makes a huge difference for those in snowy/icy winter climates. A front-wheel drive car with winter tires would likely be better than an all-wheel drive car with all-season tires.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by davegage View Post
    He put winter tires on his factory 18” wheels. Makes a huge difference for those in snowy/icy winter climates. A front-wheel drive car with winter tires would likely be better than an all-wheel drive car with all-season tires.
    Not likely - DEFINITELY!

My Ody is the family ski-taxi all winter long, on Blizzaks.
    Unstoppable.
    Passed many SUVs in the ditch on all-seasons, at the first sign of packed snow or ice forming on the road.

a

Correct, ill put them on my factory 18's and try to sell the original tires. The beautiful 19's will be the rim ill be using during the warmer months. Gotta keep checking the forum for people selling periodically lol.

Nice report back on your new EX. That is a lot of driving for less than a week from purchase. I purchased my LX on the same day but I have been off work since then so I have not drove my mine much. Look forward to getting back to work next year so I can drive my mine daily.

Welcome to the club. Let me know if you need the Elite wheels (I ‘upgraded’ mine)

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/23-bu...take-offs.html

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/15-wh...ml#post2300443

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    Welcome to the club. Let me know if you need the Elite wheels (I ‘upgraded’ mine)

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/23-bu...take-offs.html

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/15-wh...ml#post2300443
    Appreciate the headsup! Ideally looking for rims only so i can pick my own tires.

Good post, glad you got a car that is working well for you!

I too just came back from a road trip (1800 mile round trip) in my new EX-L. I drove a Sienna XLE for 15 years (250K miles) before my Honda, so I definitely have some opinions. :-)

On the good side, it was plenty comfortable and got great gas mileage, generally in the upper 20s. I like the lane-keeping assist and cruise control, with some minor caveats. It has a fair bit of cargo space, but not as much as my old Sienna. I know the Ody is rated larger but it has some odd curves to the floor when seats are folded, and the 2nd row seats don't fold up out of the way like the old Sienna did (the new Siennas don't fold either :-( ).

The sound system is okay, not nearly as good a sound as the JBL my old Sienna came with (but better than the half-failed system it had when I traded it :-) ). How sound gets routed when multiple phones are connected to bluetooth and android auto left me confused, I'll need to sit with it for an hour or three fiddling with it to figure it out. Super annoying you can't push a button promising it's a passenger doing the fiddling so it doesn't kill 90% of the controls, but I guess lawyers have to do their thing.

The LKAS has an annoying quirk: I noticed if I'm driving in the right lane and the painted lines break for an exit the LKAS bobbles a bit, I guess trying to center between the suddenly widening lines. One way to reduce the road hypnotism I guess.

My biggest gripe came from an unexpected direction. The rearview mirror dims in response to someone's headlights behind the car - but only dims the middle area. There's about 1/4" all the way around that doesn't dim. So the car right behind is OK but if he changes lanes you suddenly get a full-intensity flash from the un-dimmed area. Toyota had that worked out 15 years ago, what's Honda's problem? When I take my car in for oil change I'm going to claim it's defective, and see if anything happens.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my opinions. All in all it seems like a decent vehicle, and I hope it'll serve me at least half as long as my Toyota did. :-)

ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenryan View Post
    My biggest gripe came from an unexpected direction. The rearview mirror dims in response to someone's headlights behind the car - but only dims the middle area. There's about 1/4" all the way around that doesn't dim. So the car right behind is OK but if he changes lanes you suddenly get a full-intensity flash from the un-dimmed area.
    Ken,
    I have completed my own 3+K mile road trip, and can confirm that the 1/4" perimeter of the rear-view mirror is non-dimmable. However, that is <3% of the total area of the rear view mirror, and the remaining 97+% was dimming perfectly in my MY'19 Ody. The light intensity fluctuation for that 3% never registered with my brain.

I am not sure if that is exactly what you are describing, or if you get uneven dimming for the remaining 97+% of the rear-view mirror area.
    If it's the latter, then I would document (pics or video), and take it to the dealer for a warranty claim.

HTH,
    a

P.S.: Agree otherwise - gen5 Odyssey is an enjoyable and economical road trip vehicle.

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements