Using Waze??
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Using Waze??

Using Waze??

I have a 2019 Touring and we are getting ready to take road trip for spring break. Can someone tell me how I would use Waze with the infotainment system? Do I connect my phone to apple carplay and sync the apps? I have an iphone 8+ if that matters...

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

cjm
    With Android, we connect using Android auto then it prompts to ask which program to use.
    You do need to install Waze on your phone . It works well.

Just use the RIGHT side USB port inside the center console and you should be good to go. You just might have to download or upgrade some apps. But just follow instructions once its connected

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

When I picked up my '19 Elite, Android Auto was a definate plus. It paired with my Samsung 8S and ran Waze perfectly. (BTW... I think Waze is far superior to the installed Garmin system. Maps are usually more up to date and realtime traffic info is certainly helpful.) A couple of really long trip (2000+ miles) were a real pleasure with Waze.

However..... 6+ months, 1 system update and at least 2 phone OS updates, have made Waze useless. With the phone in hand, Waze works just fine. But when I plug is into Android Auto, Waze losses the ability to access the Phone GPS. Tracking from Cell towers really cripples Waze!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsGrizz1016 View Post
    I have a 2019 Touring and we are getting ready to take road trip for spring break. Can someone tell me how I would use Waze with the infotainment system? Do I connect my phone to apple carplay and sync the apps? I have an iphone 8+ if that matters...
    All you need is to have Waze on your iPhone. I use it all the time in our ‘18 when connected through CarPlay. I’ve not encountered any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current
    18 Odyssey Touring | WDP
    04 T4R LTD | Michelin LTX M/S2 | Blizzak DM-V1 | de-badged

As others said, main poi t is to connect thru right side usb port, then select the apple app (I have Android, so I use Android Auto). Sometimes it works better if I do all the Waze destination inputs before I connect it to the usb cord.

Every once in a while Waze will stop while driving. Maybe once out of 30 trips.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsGrizz1016 View Post
    CarPlay basically acts like a "second screen" - nothing to install in the Honda - or any other car. I use it in our three cars + rental cars (if they have it).
    So Android and iOS are basically the same thing, but CarPlay is simpler (by design - nothing new to install).
    A couple notes:
    1. First, you need iOS 12.0+ or newer. Before that, only Apple Maps was available.
    2. You need Waze installed on the phone (as people have said).
    3. First time, you'll have to unlock your phone and allow CarPlay. Each CAR has its own profile, so every car is unique, but can use the same apps.
    4. Waze will be on the SECOND screen by default (to the right). You can move/adjust icons on the PHONE, not in the CAR.
    5. The "Honda" icon just gets you back to your car - there's no Honda app.
    6. Interestingly, you can have multiple map apps running at once, which can either be a hassle (competing for GPS signal, etc.) or a joy (I prefer Google Maps, but Waze will pop up police/stalled car alerts).

Finally, if you play with your phone while connected, it will return to the MAIN CarPlay screen. So here's a tip - plug your phone in, shove it in the console, and don't touch it.

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements