Sliding Door Latch "Fix" Created New Problem
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Sliding Door Latch "Fix" Created New Problem

Sliding Door Latch "Fix" Created New Problem

I just had the sliding door recall fix done on my 2018 EX-L. Of course, I hadn't had any problems with the sliding doors, but got the recall done (which actually ended up taking two days at the dealership). When I got the car home, I went to open the driver side sliding door, and it got about 75% open and then hit something and beeps and closes. Even on manual mode, the door hits something about 75% of the way down the track. I can see a pop up mechanism in the track that appears to be the safety mechanism for when the rear windows are down. I thought I could just solve the issue by rolling down the window and putting it back up and making the safety mechanism reset. However, when I went to roll down the window, it sounds like it tries to roll down but it seems to encounter something as well and won't roll down at all. I am not sure if that is an additional safety measure or if they just really screwed something up doing the recall work?

Any ideas on how to make the system reset itself and recognize the window isn't actually down, or am I doomed to drive the 40 minutes back to the dealership?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Your dealer needs the tech to fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honda has created a monster, even their techs can't fix.

On a serious note, I agree - back to the dealership. I'd mention to the service manager about the massive inconvenience and that a free oil change would take some of your anger away. If there is a Toyota dealer closer by, mention that you could have bought one of their cars instead. I know some of the forum members live a fair distance from their dealer, but your dealer obviously didn't run a full check after the repair. They had lots of time - two days !!
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I am delaying this fix for mine as long as I can do the techs can get the experience

Had to bring van back and leave for another overnight (although this time I got a loaner 2019 Odyssey Elite - so was happy with that at least). They had to take door off again and reset safety mechanism and realign window track. I am not sure exactly how they screwed it up the first time, but they clearly did. However, not only was I not offered a free oil change or any compensation for my time and inconvenience, they actually had the audacity to ask if I filled up the loaner Odyssey with gas before I brought it back. I told them since it was their mistake, the least they could do was pay for the gas, and that shut him down. Oh well.

I agree with digitalextremes, I should have waited.

We had our fix done and now the driver side door rattles so much I am considering trading our van in on an SUV.

However, not only was I not offered a free oil change or any compensation for my time and inconvenience, they actually had the audacity to ask if I filled up the loaner Odyssey with gas before I brought it back.
    I would have answered, "Yes, as a matter of fact I did fill it up. It takes diesel, right?"

Once again (on a serious note), I've noticed that while the majority of users seem happy with their vans, we're now starting to see a movement to another make or model. Can the forum administrators determine if Honda Corp is actually reading these posts. If Honda Corp is smart, they'd see these posts as a warning of things to come. It would be interesting to know how many members would buy another Odyssey when the time comes. Food for thought. Any takers? As for myself, the answer is, "No."
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

Quote Originally Posted by zanthian View Post
    We had our fix done and now the driver side door rattles so much I am considering trading our van in on an SUV.
    Our '18 had the passenger side sliding door latch replaced a few weeks after we purchased it. However, when we took it in for servicing, the service manage insisted they had to perform the recall latch replacement on both sides. Now, as with you, the driver's side rear door rattles!

Well, perhaps I will wait on this “fix”. Ours doesn’t seem to have any issues with the doors. However, it’s electrical system completely freaked out on us today. But, I don’t want to threadjack. Thanks for posting this!

Current
    18 Odyssey Touring | WDP
    04 T4R LTD | Michelin LTX M/S2 | Blizzak DM-V1 | de-badged

Quote Originally Posted by Hodna View Post
    It would be interesting to know how many members would buy another Odyssey when the time comes. Food for thought. Any takers? As for myself, the answer is, "No."
    I tend to agree with you. I do three year leases with my vehicles, and unless I see a lot less complaints about the 2020/2021 Odysseys, I definitely won't be swapping for another Odyssey.

After renting a Pacifica for a week (second time - first was last year), that's what I'll be getting next time.
    (or an SUV)
    Honda "reliability" is a myth - the Alabama plant is filled with low-life backwoods morons (yes, it is personal) who cannot assemble a quality product. See: Acura MDX complaints high (2014 MY) vs. low/standard (2015-2019).

Quote Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
    After renting a Pacifica for a week (second time - first was last year), that's what I'll be getting next time.
    (or an SUV)
    Honda "reliability" is a myth - the Alabama plant is filled with low-life backwoods morons (yes, it is personal) who cannot assemble a quality product. See: Acura MDX complaints high (2014 MY) vs. low/standard (2015-2019).
    Agree with quality, even the weather stripping on mine was not installed properly around the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
    (or an SUV)
    We have never had better vehicles than our 2002 Honda Accord and our 2004 Odyssey. Couldn't be more reliable. When my wife wanted a "newer" van we blindly assumed that the 2018 would be just as reliable and trouble-free as the 2004. We purchased an '18 EXL-RES after just driving it a few blocks. Now she is so disappointed that she wants us to trade it in!
    Why didn't Honda keep the best features of the earlier models? The '04 had a smooth and quiet 5-speed transmission, and it had plenty of power and got mileage similar to that of the '18. So why did Honda go to the 9-speed tranny?
    She says the tranny sounds like that in a "shot rod." And it has the quirks in its shifting that many on here have complained about. I just hope it doesn't go out on us before we pay off the darn vehicle!
    We also have had our sliding door latches replaced--twice. And one of them now rattles. (I won't get into the other "dis-improvements" on this thread).
    Honda's "reliability" reputation is on the downslide. Witness Consumer Reports' latest downgrade reports.
    If Honda is listening to this forum and the complaints tendered to Honda service managers, maybe the 2020/21 will be improved?
    I don't think we will find out directly as our next minivan will likely be a Toyota or a Chrysler.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen13Gent View Post
    We have never had better vehicles than our 2002 Honda Accord and our 2004 Odyssey. Couldn't be more reliable. When my wife wanted a "newer" van we blindly assumed that the 2018 would be just as reliable and trouble-free as the 2004. We purchased an '18 EXL-RES after just driving it a few blocks. Now she is so disappointed that she wants us to trade it in!
    Why didn't Honda keep the best features of the earlier models? The '04 had a smooth and quiet 5-speed transmission, and it had plenty of power and got mileage similar to that of the '18. So why did Honda go to the 9-speed tranny?
    She says the tranny sounds like that in a "shot rod." And it has the quirks in its shifting that many on here have complained about. I just hope it doesn't go out on us before we pay off the darn vehicle!
    We also have had our sliding door latches replaced--twice. And one of them now rattles. (I won't get into the other "dis-improvements" on this thread).
    Honda's "reliability" reputation is on the downslide. Witness Consumer Reports' latest downgrade reports.
    If Honda is listening to this forum and the complaints tendered to Honda service managers, maybe the 2020/21 will be improved?
    I don't think we will find out directly as our next minivan will likely be a Toyota or a Chrysler.
    I would send this letter to American Honda.
    We boycotted Acura (quality on 2014 MDX was worse than a Yugo - they couldn't even put the emblem on straight), then got the Odyssey due to fear of Pacifica (Chrysler) reliability.
    Turns out we had it backwards.
    (but from a lease/residual perspective, the whole market has it backwards - for now)
    For those considering an Odyssey, the Pacifica is worth a drive.

Lindros2,

As you suggested, i have sent a modified version of my post as a letter to American Honda. We shall see what kind of (form?) response I receive, if any.
    Re the sliding door rattle (after the recall "fix"), can you imagine taking the vehicle back, telling the dealer's service rep that there is an occasional rattle in the door that occurred after his group replaced the latches? A rattle that was not there before the recall fix?

"Sure buddy, it could not have been caused by our work!"

I'll post the reply I'll receive if any.....

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements