2019 Odyssey EX-L Has Camber Out of Specification With No Adjustment - Page 3
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 Odyssey EX-L Has Camber Out of Specification With No Adjustment

I have a 2012 Odyssey that wears down the outside 2” edge of the front passenger side tire. I’m getting only 12,000 miles before I have to get a new pair of tires, but they are almost new condition. I bought a Moog camber bolt kit, and I’ll have to see if that improves the tire wear.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Hey Hodna,
    I forgot to respond to your question about the attributes that I experience in my Odyssey that may be a result of the camber being out of specification.

The response to this is ......currently my van has been aligned to bring the toe settings in the front and the rear into ideal specification. What that means is... given the span or operating range of toe values per Honda specifications.....the toe settings are ideal. HOWEVER. The Camber on any of the four corners of the vehicle suspension cannot be adjusted AT ALL. Keeping in mind that Honda still specifies a span or operating range for the Camber, even though the camber cannot be adjusted due to a lack of adjuster hardware(CHEEEEP). These vans have been manufactured by Honda with the hopes that their manufacturing process would produce a frame and suspension assembly that would place the camber readings into the ideal range for Camber. However, we all have the best intentions most of the time....our hopes do not always end up coming to fruition. In the case of my Odyssey, this has been the result. The front driver and rear driver camber ended up at the negative limit for the front driver and beyond the negative limit for the rear driver(-1.4 degrees).

Aggressive camber settings will eventually cause uneven tire wire on one side of the wheel compared to the other side. In this case the inside or inboard side of the wheel on the front driver and rear driver tires will wear much quicker than they should. On top of this accelerated uneven wear....if you throw in the likelihood that the roads around here are full of potholes and abrupt uneven pavement surfaces that bang the suspension; I will end up with toe getting out of adjustment and will not recognize it immediately because the "feel" of the drive response of the van will progressively get numb and I will notice that it will need a toe adjustment well beyond when it really needed to be adjusted. Its just the way things are unless you take your vehicle in to be aligned regardless of feel every three months. I personally take my vehicles in for alignments every six months due to road conditions and the fact that I spend a lot on really high quality sport rated tires.

My 2019 Odyssey EX-L has 2019 Acura MDX 20" advance package multi-spoke wheels with 245-45-20 Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06 tires. The drive is awesome with this wheel and tire package installed.

Here is my final description of the attributes on Camber and negative camber.

Camber of zero on a flat surface with no suspension cycling would produce a boring ride. When you add -K value(dips) to the turns and twists of the roads, having negative camber allows very responsive handling as well as the feeling of stability on the highway. Having aggressively negative camber lends to a instant steering response and prevents camber from cycling from negative to positive values during suspension oscillations, which definitely lends itself to making the vehicle feel very stable on the turns/twists/inclines of the highway.

Uneven camber from one side of the vehicle to the other say a very negative camber on one side while having a zero or slight negative on the opposite side makes the vehicle feel unstable while taking curves and a change in elevation within the curve movement. It creates instability in the rear. It gives the feeling of trying to stand in a small fishing boat on the water. I personally refer to this as fishtailing when I describe the effect to others that might be in the vehicle with me when riding or driving with someone.

To sum this up. Honda doesn't care whether our vehicles feel sporty, safe, and solid. All they care about is if it meets minimum safety requirements and can pass tests to demonstrate that. And that's where the rub is with many long time HONDA fans. Honda corporate no longer is passionate about the automobiles they design and bring to market for US. They are passionate about making dollar signs go up and stay out of the negative limelight with regulators and the press.

Great explanation, Triaque! Thanks for that.
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

2019 Odyssey EX-L Has Camber Out of Specification With No Adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by Triaque View Post

My 2019 Odyssey EX-L has 2019 Acura MDX 20" advance package multi-spoke wheels with 245-45-20 Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06 tires. The drive is awesome with this wheel and tire package installed.
    Off topic here, but could you do a quick review of those tires (maybe in a new thread)? Were any other tires on your radar when you selected these? How’s tire noise? Not gonna toss the stock tires just yet, but I am tempted.

I guess to keep this on topic, one solution to your excessive camber woes could just be to take turns faster to help even out the tire wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Build-A-Bear
    To answer your RFI concerning the Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06 selection for tires.

I have purchased these tires now for about 6 years. The only delta with these tires that I can speak of is that they do produce extra "white" noise while rolling down the highway. The tread design and sidewall is Ultra High Performance for Dry, Wet and Snow conditions. These perform excellent in any of those conditions. However, the version of these tires on the Odyssey are mounted on Acura MDX 20" Advance Package wheels. The tire size is P245-45-R20. these have a shorter sidewall. A stiffer sidewall. There's less air cushioning between the tire and wheel. They do produce more noise. However. I always peel off the wheel well liners from my Odyssey's and apply a "squishy" Neoprene-EPDM soft/medium foam to the back of the inner fender plastic liner and/or inside of the wheel well directly on the painted metal surface to significantly dampen sounds coming from the wheel well area. These tires pose no issue with noise for me being that I go through many extra measures to sound attenuate my Odyssey's.

Quote Originally Posted by Triaque View Post
    Hey Build-A-Bear
    To answer your RFI concerning the Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06 selection for tires.

I have purchased these tires now for about 6 years. The only delta with these tires that I can speak of is that they do produce extra "white" noise while rolling down the highway. The tread design and sidewall is Ultra High Performance for Dry, Wet and Snow conditions. These perform excellent in any of those conditions. However, the version of these tires on the Odyssey are mounted on Acura MDX 20" Advance Package wheels. The tire size is P245-45-R20. these have a shorter sidewall. A stiffer sidewall. There's less air cushioning between the tire and wheel. They do produce more noise. However. I always peel off the wheel well liners from my Odyssey's and apply a "squishy" Neoprene-EPDM soft/medium foam to the back of the inner fender plastic liner and/or inside of the wheel well directly on the painted metal surface to significantly dampen sounds coming from the wheel well area. These tires pose no issue with noise for me being that I go through many extra measures to sound attenuate my Odyssey's.
    Excellent feedback, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Continued open to suggestion on how to correct excess rear negative camber?????

I haven't seen anyone yet ake top plates for the 2018-19 ODY. I wouldn't be that difficult to
    install, and you could have a lot of adjustment room for caster and camber.

This is for a Mustang latest models that have the same problem.

2019 Odyssey EX-L  Has Camber Out of Specification With No Adjustment-maximum-motorsports-caster-camber-plates.jpg

The tires are already showing feathering wear and making noise as well in my 2019 Odyssey EXL with NAVI & RES. Will need to check at an authorized dealership service. The Van has just run 2634 Miles. if not corrected within two trials, then will go with LEMON LAW at my State's office of Attorney General, Consumer Protection department for repurchase or replacement. This is based on my state Lemon Law Regulations. I have won last year a case against FCA US LLC "CHRYSLER CORPORATION" as my 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan R/T has had a similar issue when three certified dealers service failed to correct. Thus Chrysler Offered to repurchase the van with the same purchased price minus $282 for mileages run (18823 Miles). If won, even an excised paid tax will be refunded by the DMV. NOTE: Regulations vary by States. Busy for the next two weeks but once confirmed will let you know. Buy the way I went with odyssey as a replacement but later regret. it does not worth its price with the several engineering mal-designed.

2019 Odyssey alignment limitations

The tires are already showing feathering wear and making noise as well in my 2019 Odyssey EXL with NAVI & RES. Will need to check at an authorized dealership service. The Van has just run 2634 Miles. if not corrected within two trials, then will go with LEMON LAW at my State's office of Attorney General, Consumer Protection department for repurchase or replacement. This is based on my state Lemon Law Regulations. I have won last year a case against FCA US LLC "CHRYSLER CORPORATION" as my 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan R/T has had a similar issue when three certified dealers service failed to correct. Thus Chrysler Offered to repurchase the van with the same purchased price minus $282 for mileages run (18823 Miles). If won, even an excised paid tax will be refunded by the DMV. NOTE: Regulations vary by States. Busy for the next two weeks but once confirmed will let you know. Buy the way I went with odyssey as a replacement but later regret. it does not worth its price with the several engineering mal-designed.

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123