2019 Odyssey EX-L Has Camber Out of Specification With No Adjustment
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums Ė General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Odyssey EX-L Has Camber Out of Specification With No Adjustment

2019 Odyssey EX-L Has Camber Out of Specification With No Adjustment

My Odyssey has just over 6000 miles and I decided to get an alignment plan for it. After having the alignment started the technicians found that the driver side front and rear have camber issues. The front driver side is AT THE NEGATIVE LIMIT. The rear driver side is -0.3 ABOVE THE NEGATIVE LIMIT. I then proceeded to take the Odyssey to another same national branded shop to have another digital laser alignment performed. SAME RESULT. The driver side front and rear readings were the same. The tires are already showing feathering wear and making noise.

Has anyone had this issue? Has anyone found a solution to bring these readings well within the factory specified band, to a median value...say around -0.3 degrees of Camber in the front and -0.7 degrees of Camber in the rear?

Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Why not have the dealer fix it? Is this warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Pjones,
    I submitted the out-of-spec readings to the service manager. He passed responsibility directly over to the Honda Corporate Tech line for dealer service managers. He already said that he has no way of adjusting camber on any of the four corners of the vehicle.

Everything I have submitted so far.....there are now 16 items.....and he has run it up the food chain to Corporate and none of the items have been addressed so that the items work as they should. They are all quality/engineering issues and the local service manager and his team have no way to address any of the items. If you search out my posts you can see an older revision of the list I had posted on a couple other earlier postings.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Itís in warranty, show results to a dealer and ask for verification.

If itís out of alignment and itís non adjustable then something is bent. If not the linkages then the frame. You have evidence that something is wrong, what have they provided to say that it is right?

PJones,
    There is nothing bent under my van. The van has been inspected by myself and technicians at two different shops. The problem is that HONDA has a quality issue with this particular item and a gaggle of other issues that most people just don't see because of the differing levels of detail in observation.

I need a solution and there is not an easy one. The solution I will eventually have to implement on my own are to route out the mounting holes in the upper shock tower to create slots that allows the upper strut bearing to be move outboard and reduce negative camber in the front. As far as the rear .....that will probably require bending something or possibly adding a cam where there is not one currently.

What's the Honda specified ranges for camber, caster, and toe for front/rears?

What does the car feel like to drive? Is it pulling one way or another? Vibration? You mentioned early tire wear. Anything else? Thanks.
    2018 Odyssey EX with a rattle noise on acceleration. So far, Honda Corp has told me to drop dead three times. Can't wait to hear their fourth reply.
    Honda can't afford to give me a $2 compass like every other car out there.

There are different diameter bolts for the struts that Honda makes. Just not sure if it fixes the camber or toe in, toe out.
    Here is what an aftermarket cam bolt looks like.
    https://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Pro...clubconvert-20
    Last edited by v4forever; 04-07-2019 at 08:43 AM.
    2000 Odyssey EX

Quote Originally Posted by Triaque View Post
    PJones,
    There is nothing bent under my van. The van has been inspected by myself and technicians at two different shops. The problem is that HONDA has a quality issue with this particular item and a gaggle of other issues that most people just don't see because of the differing levels of detail in observation.

I need a solution and there is not an easy one. The solution I will eventually have to implement on my own are to route out the mounting holes in the upper shock tower to create slots that allows the upper strut bearing to be move outboard and reduce negative camber in the front. As far as the rear .....that will probably require bending something or possibly adding a cam where there is not one currently.
    Iím not sure what Iím missing here. If itís a quality control issue causing a problem with your camber, and itís causing premature wear in your tires, I donít see why this is your responsibility to correct.

Unless the damage was caused from hitting a curb or large pothole (which would cause something to bend but you said is not the case here) then this repair and cost should be on them.

I would be pushing for a new set of tires from them at this point also. The point of a warranty is to protect the customer from poor workmanship, youíve paid a lot of money for this van and it should be working for you and it should be within spec. Youíve had two independent mechanics tell you that it is not within spec. Why are you accepting Hondaís words when they push you off and say they canít fix it. If itís an issue with bad quality control of parts making some parts provide incorrect camber then let them try a stack of their new ones until they find ones that are good. If they canít manufacture a quality part then that is the issues that they need to deal with, not you. Itís not your fault they canít get it right.

Document, document, document......

If there truly is no way to fix it....that (were it mine) vehicle would be a manufacturer buyback FOR SURE.

Luck to you, either way.

v4forever

Thanks for the amazon link to the cam bolt adjusters but there are no current Honda brand nor aftermarket solutions for adjusting any camber settings on the 2018-19 Odyssey.

The link you sent was for a much older odyssey. I had ordered those very cam adjusters in the links you sent for the 2013 i had and they do not work for that generation.
    Last edited by Triaque; 04-08-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Pjones

Yes. The dealer service manager has placed this issue with Honda corporate to let them pose a solution. Let the part swapping and my personal time wasting continue along with the loss of use and enjoyment of the vehicle. There is a set of costs with all this that cannot be quantified. This is why you see ppl on here saying they sold or traded their new odyssey.
    Last edited by Triaque; 04-08-2019 at 03:59 PM.

My 2015 had this issue. The dealership said they couldn’t fix it and I would have to just deal with it. I traded it for a 2018 which had a laundry list of problems that the dealer kept passing the buck on and so did Honda corporate. I went to file a lemon law suit but decided I didn’t want to deal with it even though I had many qualifying issues, so we traded it in for a suburban. I have owned 5 Odyssey’s but the 2018 was a piece of junk and it wa so hard to walk away from Honda and my odyssey but the lack of support and standing behind the product.

Hi MobileComm

Your previous generation odyssey could have been corrected. SPC suspension components and a couple other brands made/make a "turn-buckle" style adjustable upper control arm that allows the camber to be adjusted. I purchased one fir my 2013 EX-L and dialed in the camber in the first year of ownership. They work great.

As for this new generation, there is a sub-frame assembly with much longer control arms. The cast aluminum rear trailing arm cannot be used to angle the camber due to where it attaches on the bearing knuckle. The lower arm would traditionally have had the adjustment cam on the onboard attaching point but Honda chose not to place any sort of cam hardware there. Since they welded a permanent nut on at this same location .....you cannot add a cam adjusting kit on from aftermarket sources. If you chisel off this welded nut AND can find the correctly sized camber cam adjuster kit, you may be able to fix this issue. So far I'm not finding anything.
    Last edited by Triaque; 04-09-2019 at 07:34 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast