Modify shutdown so radio is off
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modify shutdown so radio is off

Modify shutdown so radio is off

I park in a 2 car garage with the divers door up close to the wall necessitating me leaving the vehicle by the passenger door. However unless I open the drivers door AFTER i shut the engine down, the radio and other electronics stay on. 1 time the battery completely discharged overnight. Any suggestions on how to modify shutdown so once the engine is turned off everything is off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

That’s not how it works.....at all. If you don’t open the door, it auto shuts off after 15 minutes.

Why not turn radio off before you leave car?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by odd 1 View Post
    Why not turn radio off before you leave car?
    Better question is how’s he getting out of the vehicle without opening a door? Lol....

Back into the garage instead of pulling in. Then get out on driver's side.
    2019 Modern Steel Metallic EX-L w/ Nav-RES
    OEM All-Weather Floor Mats / LEDs: Headlight, Foglight, Reverse, all interior
    Coming Soon - Tinted front windows / Dipped: Tailgate chrome trim, Front grill

Quote Originally Posted by Boston_Pilot View Post
    That’s not how it works.....at all. If you don’t open the door, it auto shuts off after 15 minutes.
    This is correct. A few time I waited for my wife in the van, the radio and the center console would turn off completely after about 15 minutes. Alternatively once you park, open the driver side door enough for the system to turn off and then exit through passenger door.

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    This is correct. A few time I waited for my wife in the van, the radio and the center console would turn off completely after about 15 minutes. Alternatively once you park, open the driver side door enough for the system to turn off and then exit through passenger door.
    The problem with opening the driver's door with so little clearance is that the OP is probably not able to close it again - there might not be enough room to swing the door hard enough to latch fully. I think sicksix has it right - if you have so little clearance on the driver's side, back into the garage so that the driver's door is on the roomy side of the garage. With all the cameras and sensors these vans have now, backing into a parking space safely should not be the kind of challenge it once was. It's also safer to enter traffic driving forwards instead of backing into the street.
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

Quote Originally Posted by joden View Post
    I park in a 2 car garage with the divers door up close to the wall necessitating me leaving the vehicle by the passenger door. However unless I open the drivers door AFTER i shut the engine down, the radio and other electronics stay on. 1 time the battery completely discharged overnight. Any suggestions on how to modify shutdown so once the engine is turned off everything is off.
    You might have press the stop button without pressing the P button, that will leave the audio on until battery fully drained.

I posted because i had assumed that since vehicle permits changing a large number of options I figured I somehow missed the one for immediate power disengagement when i shut down the engine. Remembering to turn off the radio or to back in is not a problem for me but a problem for my daughters when they use the car. Pilot - the first sentence states I leave via the passenger door. King Kong - I think you diagnosed the problem in that it wasn't in park which cause the radio to stay on overnight and discharge the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by sicksix View Post
    Back into the garage instead of pulling in. Then get out on driver's side.
    This is what we do. My wife parks on the right side with the van so she can just pull in. I back in the 4runner on the left. Drivers doors opening toward the center of the garage. It does take a bit of practice backing in quickly and safely so you’re not running the engine excessively. In the morning, as soon as the engine is started, I pull out immediately. Don’t want those exhaust fumes collecting in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't tried, but wouldn't arming the alarm also shut it off?

SO here it is 20 mins later and the radio is still on. This must be a software glitch because apparently, my electronics will not shut off unless I leave by the driver's door. And, this time i made sure it was in park before i shut down the engine. I'll try arming the the alarm and see if that makes a difference.

Back in
    2018 EX-L w/ NAV & RES
    Silver w/ Mocha

Quote Originally Posted by tygger View Post
    I haven't tried, but wouldn't arming the alarm also shut it off?
    I doubt the alarm will arm because driver did not exit car (thru driver door).

Quote Originally Posted by joden View Post
    SO here it is 20 mins later and the radio is still on. This must be a software glitch because apparently, my electronics will not shut off unless I leave by the driver's door. And, this time i made sure it was in park before i shut down the engine. I'll try arming the the alarm and see if that makes a difference.
    I think radio stays on because car did not detect driver exiting thru driver door. best bet is open & close driver door before exiting.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast