Can the turn signal be made louder?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Can the turn signal be made louder?

Can the turn signal be made louder?

I have a 2018 Odyssey and love it. One problem though is that the turn signal sound isn't heard if the fan is on or one is on a very bumpy road, etc.

Is there a way to increase its volume?

Thank you,
    Doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    I have a 2018 Odyssey and love it. One problem though is that the turn signal sound isn't heard if the fan is on or one is on a very bumpy road, etc.

Is there a way to increase its volume?

Thank you,
    Doug
    NO. If it's on what's the reason you would want to hear it?

Sometimes i need to turn it off, because it did not stop signaling after the turn was made. And, if I don't hear it beeping, I'm not usually aware that it is still on.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Sometimes i need to turn it off, because it did not stop signaling after the turn was made. And, if I don't hear it beeping, I'm not usually aware that it is still on.
    ? If it’s an actual turn the signal should go back to the neutral position. And, for changing lanes just use the touch L/R feature (barely pushing the lever up or down for the 3 flashes). Or, be more aware?? I’ve never been able to understand not noticing your turn signal was on. I like that it’s lower. The VW we just rented has obnoxiously loud turn signals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current
    18 Odyssey Touring | WDP
    04 T4R LTD | Michelin LTX M/S2 | Blizzak DM-V1 | de-badged

Hi Doug,

Did your previous car have a much louder turn signal? Perhaps you've become accustomed to the louder signal and have used the volume to tell you the signal cancelled itself. I believe when they teach you to drive, they say the onus is on the driver to make sure all hardware functions operate as intended. The cancel function is a convenience we've all become accustomed to. It's been there since I was a child - and that's ages ago !
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

I haven't looked at the Ody turn signals but in other vehicles there was an option to replace the turn signal blink controller with a louder one. Your local Pep-Boys, Auto Zone or the like should be able to help if you can't find one on Amazon.

Not as easy, make up a 12 volt beeper with short pigtails and use wire clips to hook it to the blinker power wires. Might need two or a couple diodes and finding the wires is a pain, so not your best option.

Turn signal or emergency flasher

I am not for certain of this as I have not looked into what is controlling the blink of the turn signal. I would think it would be controlled by a timer circuit such as 555 timer chip, that regulates the duration period between the blinks and this would also be with the emergency flasher as well. Quite a few years back there was different type of container that controlled this blink rate. It was very simplistic and was madeoutside of a plastic or metal round container, it had two metal strips with contacts on each and the contacts was in a closed position when it was not needed. When you turned on the turn signal it would apply voltage to the metal strips and cause them to heat-up and open the contacts open and after 1 or 2 seconds the metal strips closed again and continue to repeat until you r steering wheel or you canceled the turn signal removing the voltage. The metal canned flasher was louder than the plastic one, or auto parts would sell you a flasher that had a different type of contacts internal such as a Klixon would have and be way louder. It did not help my father however, he could not have heard it at all but everyone else in the car could hear it. All because of the cheap plastic ring inside the steering wheel canceler would break. I will look at it tomorrow to see which it has and reply back.

The 555 timer chip is so much easier to use in a vehicle, small size (most only have 8 legs) and low current usage, then it drives a mini-relay to power the turn signal lamps. These do not wear out as frequently as the old can design, but also may not last the entire life of the vehicle. Due to the meantime before failure rate generally expressed in hours of time rather than the blink rate of a flasher. Hope this has you to understand why it is not loud.

I'm with Doug S on this one. If you make a turn that does not move the steering wheel far enough to automatically cancel the signal when you return to center, it would be nice to have an audible as well as visual reminder that the signal is on.

And, if I don't hear it beeping, I'm not usually aware that it is still on.
    Thank you for being aware of the problem of a run-on turn signal.

One of my pet peeves is following a car down the highway with its turn signal flashing endlessly.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

I checked today on the turn signal, it does not have the 555 timer, but is definitely the can style flasher. It sounds to be on the right side below the steering wheel. I did not pull back the cover to verify where it is, however if you removed the plastic trim piece under the steering wheel shaft and turned on the ignition you should be able to feel it. It is round, about the size of a quarter in diameter and 1-1/2" tall and may be free hanging from the wire bundle.

After looking on-line, the year of 2004 ODY was the newest model I could find that shower the location and what to remove to get to this Heavy Duty Electronic Flasher FL75A in a YouTube video that demonstrates this. Only follow the video from time stamp 6:53 to the end at 9:31
    The cover that needs removed is drivers side, left foot outside where there used to be a foot emergency. I am not saying this is the place where it is at as I would still have to look at my ODY to verify, any way, here is the YouTube link;

Quote Originally Posted by Stan-qaz View Post
    I haven't looked at the Ody turn signals but in other vehicles there was an option to replace the turn signal blink controller with a louder one. Your local Pep-Boys, Auto Zone or the like should be able to help if you can't find one on Amazon.

Not as easy, make up a 12 volt beeper with short pigtails and use wire clips to hook it to the blinker power wires. Might need two or a couple diodes and finding the wires is a pain, so not your best option.
    I have an air compressor in my basement and I ran an air line into my garage. One time I forgot the compressor on so I came up with a solution. I save all my old electronic junk. I found a dc transformer and I pluged it into the same receptacle that my compressor was on and I then ran the wire to the garage and I picked up a buzzer from Radio Shack. The buzzers had a very wide voltage range. The buzzer makes a very loud irritating sound but, I never leave my compressor on. I would just check ebay and look for dc buzzers, you should be able to pick one up for a few dollars. Probably the hardest thing would be to find the blinker wires.

Have not found location of flasher yet, but have found a louder flasher, however it is a round style with two pins out.
    https://www.amazon.com/Wingsmoto-Mot...V47SHS1A9K5R1H

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements