Towing and Airlift question (2018 EX-L)
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Towing and Airlift question (2018 EX-L)

Towing and Airlift question (2018 EX-L)

I'm starting to research options for towing my pop-up. We did this once last summer and with a full load we had a fair amount of sag. I'm hoping to find a solution to alleviate said sag. It appears on Airlift's website the 1000 series is only available through the 2017 models. I reached out to Timbren and was told they did not offer setup for my vehicle?!

Anyone out there in a similar situation and if so, what was your solution to the sag?

Thanks for help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The Sag normally happens due to two reasons: heavier tongue load and/or softer shock/spring on the towing-vehicle.

Check the tongue load on the trailer and if it is higher than what is rated for the G5 Odyssey then find a way to reduce it.
    You can also invest in a load equalizer/load distribution hitch that essentially moves the load over to the front wheels and reducing the weight off the rear. It is very easy to unknowingly exceed the maximum tongue load designed for the Odyssey so be careful. Also check the Owners manual if there is any verbiage about load distribution hitch usage.
    - 2019 Elite w/Security Package | White Diamond Pearl | BD: 07/2018

In addition, check your trailer to make sure that a weight distribution hitch (WDH) can be used. Many pop up campers, especially the lighter weight ones, are not reinforced to allow WDH use. A good rule of thumb is to look at the a-frame tongue. If it is an open or "C" channel then it is not, but if it is fully boxed you are fine. Using a WDH on a trailer that is not designed for it can result in a bent frame.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I looked on the Timbren site, and they seemed to have a set for 2018 and 2019 Odysseys. Used their product finder.
    https://timbren.com/blog/products-page/hrod2/

Called a spring installer and they would do it for me for $378 ($205 part and $172 install)
    Instructions are simple. Put on lift, let springs hang freely, remove rear springs and stock bump stop, put Timbrens, replace springs.

I had air lift bags on 2003 Odyssey that worked great until started leaking. Doesn't seem to be an airlift product for this generation. Seems to have worked for others. I will look at more reviews to see if they are well regarded. Etrailer has them listed.

CORRECTION: Timbren no longer lists the HROD2 as fitting the current 2018 and 2019 Odysseys. They have a prototype HROD3 that will fit the newer Odysseys. It will be in production in a couple of weeks.

Airlift will not be supporting an airlift 1000 kit for the newer Odysseys as the rear coils are now tapered and will not allow the bag to be mounted in the coil. This information was provided by airlift customer service who talked to an engineer at the company.

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements