2018 EX-L NAV/RES Gas Mileage - 12 MPG ??
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: 2018 EX-L NAV/RES Gas Mileage - 12 MPG ??

2018 EX-L NAV/RES Gas Mileage - 12 MPG ??

Just took delivery yesterday of CPO 2018 EX-L w 7K miles. 2018 EX-L NAV/RES Gas Mileage - 12 MPG ??-img_0929.jpg.

They delivered to us in NJ (from NY), trip computer showed average of 12 mpg. How is that possible ? It had 3/4 tank, I just went to fill up top off and 1/2 mile drive home computer got to 20 mpg which is normal city, but range still says 216 miles. We've done about 5-6 local trips of 2-4 miles and since delivery, and used at least 1/8 tank. I know people complained about getting 18 mpg city, no obvious reason here why it should be 12 (not heavy, cool out, regular BP fuel).

To be blunt, is this a lemon ? I called dealer (unfortunately they are an hour away) and they are speaking to service and may want to bring it back to evaluate. We live in NJ bought in NY, under NY lemon law but not sure how it or if it applies to this issue. Everything else is great or usual hiccups (radio software bugs), this is the only issue that would give us buyer's remorse. We didn't sign up for 12 MPG …

Thanks for any advice, thoughts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 EX-L NAV/RES Gas Mileage - 12 MPG ??-img_0927.jpg   2018 EX-L NAV/RES Gas Mileage - 12 MPG ??-img_0928.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I have a little more miles than you and my 2018 exl. And according to the computer, I average 21.6 mpg. (I currently have 3/4 tank of gas left). I honestly don't trust the computer because when we (dealership and I) do simple math I average 28 mpg of mixed driving.

I've been told they can reprogram the computer to be more accurate but It doesn't bother me enough to have it sit at the dealership for that.

Fill up and pay attention to how many miles you get on one tank. Then figure out the MPG on your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks that's exactly what I plan to do, I filled up and set trip a to zero. 28 mixed is fantastic fuel efficiency, I'd settle for 20 ...

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

You should get at least 21. Definitely test it First to save yourself the trip to the dealership. If the computer still says 12 mpg and you figured 20 mpg (threw a random number) then take it because the computer probably needs to be reprogramed.

It's possible the van just spent a lot of time idling and/or doing short trips while in the possession of the dealer waiting to be sold. I would reset the trip odometer and see what your MPG looks like based on your driving.

Also, I should point out that the Odyssey fuel gauge seems to drop off quickly from "FULL" -- more so than other vehicles I've owned. Usually it takes 60-80 miles of driving on other vehicles before the reading moves from F.

Driving style could have been at play with the previous owner/person that drive it to NJ. If they were heavy footed it could mess with the stats.

Quote Originally Posted by cspring View Post
    Driving style could have been at play with the previous owner/person that drive it to NJ. If they were heavy footed it could mess with the stats.

I know we’re averaging 21 over the course of 14 months. Most of that is city driving.

Current
    18 Odyssey Touring | WDP
    04 T4R LTD | Michelin LTX M/S2 | Blizzak DM-V1 | de-badged

I was curious and checked my wife's Odyssey (19 Elite). The trip odometer has not been reset since the vehicle was purchased new in November 2018. We are in NJ - 100% city driving. With a distance of 3,883 miles traveled, the average fuel economy is 16.5

This figure includes usage of the remote start this past winter. I'm expecting the fuel economy to trend significantly upwards now that the van is broken in (and we'll be taking some highway trips).

Quote Originally Posted by skaplitt View Post
    Just took delivery yesterday of CPO 2018 EX-L w 7K miles. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	485.7 KB 
ID:	147439.

They delivered to us in NJ (from NY), trip computer showed average of 12 mpg. How is that possible ? It had 3/4 tank, I just went to fill up top off and 1/2 mile drive home computer got to 20 mpg which is normal city, but range still says 216 miles. We've done about 5-6 local trips of 2-4 miles and since delivery, and used at least 1/8 tank. I know people complained about getting 18 mpg city, no obvious reason here why it should be 12 (not heavy, cool out, regular BP fuel).

To be blunt, is this a lemon ? I called dealer (unfortunately they are an hour away) and they are speaking to service and may want to bring it back to evaluate. We live in NJ bought in NY, under NY lemon law but not sure how it or if it applies to this issue. Everything else is great or usual hiccups (radio software bugs), this is the only issue that would give us buyer's remorse. We didn't sign up for 12 MPG …

My brand new 2019 elite had terrible gas mileage for the first 1000 miles. it wasn't 12mpg, but averaged about 16. After I hit the 1000 mile mark, I reset the trip computer and now it's settled to around 19mpg. Still not nearly as good as expected, but similar to what I hear others are getting.

My thoughts are that maybe the dealer reset the computer, and it was just showing low mpg from that point forward.... put a few hundred miles on it and see if it improves?

My experience with onboard fuel economy indicators is that they are pretty inaccurate across the board. The reality is it's hard to accurately measure that small a flow, on a moving vehicle, without incurring some kind of other high cost (money, weight, energy).

On a recent 460 mile trip, the computer reported 31.3 MPG with 95% cruise control usage. Gas pump arithmetic indicated 28.0 MPG. That's a 10% difference. Less scientifically, I've observed our 2016 EX to be optimistic across all driving styles so far. I use a fuel-tracking app and the van's number is always higher than the app's number.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I understand that all that matters is actual miles on a tank, so unless anyone disagrees, at the EPA ratings of 19/28/22, 19.5 gallon tank and assume 1 gallon reserve, 18.5 gallons should equal average/approximate tank-to-empty distances of 350, 518 and 407. And if I'm within say 5-10% of these numbers, then presumably there is no defect or issue and its just driving conditions, correct ?

Again, we've only had for 6 days and only local NJ suburban driving, some highway but mostly rural. Computer is averaging about 16, which seems consistent with some others reporting here. We drive to Baltimore Friday so obviously I will fill and top up, hit 95 and see what happens. In theory on starting fill up we should get there and on return make it to DE Memorial Bridge gas stations on one tank. Not expecting that but we'll see ...

Two last questions:

1) I know all the disclaimers and that driving habits, conditions, topography, etc affect fuel efficiency. But are some cars just worse than others, eg, can a car have no mechanical or technical issue, ordinary driving habits and conditions, and just get much worse mileage ? how/why ?

2) What do PSI do you set tires to ? Not sure what mine is for the EX-L (came with Bridgestone Turanzas), but curious if anyone sets higher to improve fuel efficiency ?

Thanks again for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by skaplitt View Post
    Just took delivery yesterday of CPO 2018 EX-L w 7K miles. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	485.7 KB 
ID:	147439.

look at the distance travelled, it is only 0.5 miles; usually for short trips, you can't expect to get good fuel efficiency. I am in Canada, for short trips I see over 30 litres per 100 km.

As far as the size of the tank and the useful amount of fuel in the tank, I will say that I have never been able to put more than 16.5 Gal in. I have not wanted to push it and see how much reserve there is is when the light is on and the needle is on E. That said I have had the "range" below 10 miles and the needle on E. I find that my '19 has a much shorter range then then my '16 but I do think a lot of that is the smaller tank and Honda being more conservative on the reserve.

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements