Rear Cargo Hold Floor Pan Seam Seal Water Intrusion
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Rear Cargo Hold Floor Pan Seam Seal Water Intrusion

Rear Cargo Hold Floor Pan Seam Seal Water Intrusion

For those of you with a pond in your new Odyssey, I felt your pain and discounted how minuscule the chance might be that my own EX-L might have water coming in from somewhere due to a quality issue. Then one day about two weeks ago, I decided to do my sound attenuating regimen on my new Odyssey so I could get the most out of my sound system upgrades and have a near silent ride when I just want to ponder Life and the Universe.

Oh what a tragic discovery when I pulled the whole carpet insert in the back portion of the EXL. The whole area under the extruded foam backing of the cargo and seat stowing basin was soaked with nasty water from where a hole was left in the seam of the stamped steel cargo hold floor piece and the frame cross member that supports the bolted rear folding seats. The seam sealant is applied on the straight runs by a machine. But in the corners where the person on the assembly line applies the seam sealant in the corners, he/she left a 1/2" open in the seam and water and road grime saturated the carpet foam backing and the floor pan in the trunk.

I'm going to try and post photos. For those of you that don't think you have this issue.....if you don't check this out the whole rear will smell like P wine by the time you figure it out. But Honda will NEVER make it right at that point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear Cargo Hold Floor Pan Seam Seal Water Intrusion-13384a01-af9f-46b2-90a0-6177d3167613_1555455337641.jpg   Rear Cargo Hold Floor Pan Seam Seal Water Intrusion-1f015fd5-42ab-47fc-9ebd-0b27dad9970d_1555455359903.jpg   Rear Cargo Hold Floor Pan Seam Seal Water Intrusion-b213728b-f9c8-41f2-82a5-05cca2d0a09b_1555455376868.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the heads up! I'm checking mine out tomorrow.

More impeccable assembly line work from the low-life slugs in the Alabama plant!! Where the hell are the Honda inspectors? Does Honda Corp even care that their $40,000 cars are being assembled by people whose IQ and foot size are the same number?? Holy crap!!
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

Is this the same issue others had with water getting in? Wow

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Tygger:

I'm not sure what the source of the water leaks are in all the cases of the rear cargo area water leaks are for each owner. I can only be certain that Honda has serious breeches in their quality control on several levels because I have about 15 unresolved issues with my EX-L that Honda will not correct or flat out ignores. The local service department has done what they have tools and resources to do. It's up to Honda to make them all good. I have no Hope that Honda will do anything since the American Corporate leadership is 100% production and profit driven now.

Refer to my other posts for my list of 2019 EX-L deficiencies.

This issue was resolved but I am sure there are many Odyssey owners out there that are driving around in wet road conditions with water weeping in the rear cargo floor pan area as shown in the photos attached to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Triaque View Post
    For those of you with a pond in your new Odyssey, I felt your pain and discounted how minuscule the chance might be that my own EX-L might have water coming in from somewhere due to a quality issue. Then one day about two weeks ago, I decided to do my sound attenuating regimen on my new Odyssey so I could get the most out of my sound system upgrades and have a near silent ride when I just want to ponder Life and the Universe.

Oh what a tragic discovery when I pulled the whole carpet insert in the back portion of the EXL. The whole area under the extruded foam backing of the cargo and seat stowing basin was soaked with nasty water from where a hole was left in the seam of the stamped steel cargo hold floor piece and the frame cross member that supports the bolted rear folding seats. The seam sealant is applied on the straight runs by a machine. But in the corners where the person on the assembly line applies the seam sealant in the corners, he/she left a 1/2" open in the seam and water and road grime saturated the carpet foam backing and the floor pan in the trunk.

I'm going to try and post photos. For those of you that don't think you have this issue.....if you don't check this out the whole rear will smell like P wine by the time you figure it out. But Honda will NEVER make it right at that point.
    Thanks for letting us know. I don't understand how the foam in pic-1 is involved with the hole seen in pic's 2 and 3. Would appreciate it if you could clarify it a bit more. Did you need to remove the foam to see the hole in the sealant?

Raptor88
    If you look closely at the associated area of the foam backed carpet cargo insert, the backing shows the staining at the same location where the hole was. This is where the water created a filthy stain and saturated the whole foam backing in the flat portion of the foam bottom with water.

Quote Originally Posted by Triaque View Post
    Raptor88
    If you look closely at the associated area of the foam backed carpet cargo insert, the backing shows the staining at the same location where the hole was. This is where the water created a filthy stain and saturated the whole foam backing in the flat portion of the foam bottom with water.
    Oh, I "think" I understand now. The foam is actually upside down and out of the van.

Raptor

Exactly. Now you see.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodna View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! I'm checking mine out tomorrow.

More impeccable assembly line work from the low-life slugs in the Alabama plant!! Where the hell are the Honda inspectors? Does Honda Corp even care that their $40,000 cars are being assembled by people whose IQ and foot size are the same number?? Holy crap!!
    Hmm? Alabama is a "right to work state" meaning Honda chose this state so they could pay the workers less and they have no negotiable position (union) in order to discuss workplace issues, leaving them open to low pay and at worst systemic abuse.

People tend to lose the pride they once had in their work if they are treated unfairly.

To call the workers low life slugs when it was the choice of the "all seeing, all knowing" Mega corporation to utilize this "advantageous" position.

Y'all surprise me, but I'm thinking maybe this wasn't particularly well thought out, right?
    Last edited by mashley; 05-14-2019 at 02:41 AM.
    2008 EXL, Purchased @145,000 miles, Fitted OEM Aisin timing belt kit & water pump, Tranny Valvoline Maxlife 3x change, then onto Amsoil multivehicle, VCM Muzzler fitted, Brakes-fluid flushed all round, Penzoil Platinum plus 5w/20, NAPA (Wick) Platinum oil filter, Air filter, Phillips 9012LL/HIR11LL 12v 55w lowbeam bulbs (modified bases to fit = twice as bright!) Aerospace 303 Protectant on plastics as recommended by Honda NOT Armorall which damages! Magnefine inline filter on transmission line.

Mashley, I would agree to the point where, in reality, it's Honda's responsibility to ensure proper QC. Let me rephrase:

"Honda needs to take a hard look at their business model that seriously impedes quality assembly by workers who are being taken advantage of."

It's a fact that QC increases dramatically when worker moral is high - even if the inspectors are asleep at the switch or non-existent. In Japan, factory workers at all levels are encouraged and rewarded for spotting QC issues. The Alabama workers should be glad they have a job, which I'm sure they are, but they also have an obligation to provide basic QC without incentives or extra rewards. Do they really need an inspector to tell them a door is out of alignment? Not closing right? Paint that doesn't cover wrap points on a fender? Gaping holes that allow water to pour in? That's basic pride at the worker level, which is almost non-existent in that plant. Just ask the many members on this forum . It's just like parents who pay their kids to do the dishes. They aren't doing the kids any favors by rewarding them for doing something that is simply expected of them. The IQ comment was probably a little terse. Honda needs to send someone with brains to that plant and take a hard look at how things are being done!

Ever since Honda became Americanized, it has gone downhill. Several members have mentioned this.
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

Quality control works better when any defects caught can be tracked back to a worker. You can work with the problem people to improve them and reward the good performers.

Feeding quality data back from the dealers to keep up with the QC folks in the same manner keeps them honest too.

About the best thing I can say about my Ody's quality is that it is a step up from the last Ford I bought.

Great comments, Stan-qaz! Completely agree.

I hope Honda wakes up and decides to go back to their old business model of high quality - not the current downhill slope they have chosen. They are being penny wise and dollar foolish! I guarantee it will come back to bite them in the ass.

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements