Sound Deadening in the 2018 and 2019 Elite - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound Deadening in the 2018 and 2019 Elite

Tires can make a huge difference. The Continentals that came on my 2015 EX-L not only were very noisy but the wore down quickly and even suffered two flat tires. I replaced them at 28K miles with Michelin Premier LTX, purchased at Costco, and they are much quieter, and at 50K miles are still running well (yes, only 22K on them but not showing the advanced wear of the Continentals). As part of the Costco package they are rotated and balanced regularly at no additional charge.
    vr/

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Landmariner

Thanks for the advice on the use of tires that make less noise. I buy sport tires and they usually are Michelin Pilot Sport, Continental Extreme Contact, Bridgestone, or Yokohama's.

These vans have improved since the previous model but there is still more to be done. So I do it on my own. Honda is never going to implement extensive measures to attenuate wind and road noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Triaque View Post
    Eightwheels:
    I'm glad that you are thrilled with your new EX-L

I hope that:
    It's wheels are not factory out of spec with to much negative camber and cannot be adjusted.

It's CMBS doesn't emergency brake due to a phantom vehicle approaching the front of the vehicle.

It's HVAC fans , headlights, and interior lights don't dip in speed and brightness each rhine the engine speed drops OR when the A/C clutch engages.

I hope the auto dimming feature doesn't dim or brighten the lights at the wrong times and make the feature utterly USELESS.

It's sliding doors have stainless steel lower window glass trims that, at the meeting point with the front doors, do not show a jagged uneven match-up and look shoddy and unworkmanship-like.

It's rear brake light bottoms meet up with the bumper cover with the correct spacing so a big huge gap below the brake light body isn't apparent.

It's front bumper cover isn't missing paint in the deep folds at the bottom of the bumper cover or thin to the point of seeing the primer along the crease in the upper portion of the bumper cover.

It's rear window glass putter 8" margins don't have a severe mottling effect so as to look like privacy glass, blocking your rear view out the back.

It's 9 speed transmission isn't wrought with issues. Specifically mine will speed wildly forward on steep grades when shifting from D5 to D4.

It's A/C system actually can cool the interior after coasting down to be temporarily parked while waiting for someone idling in park after driving at speed keeping the interior cool.

It's headliner doesn't make popping sounds around the sunroof opening and upper console insert.

It's front struts don't pop loudly on hard turns into or out of sharp turns into a driveway or parking spot.

I love mine toooooo. It's my obsession with the known past history of HONDA quality products and the lack thereof in the newer products that really stresses me out.
    I apologize for being a grammar nazi but every "It's" should be "Its."

I thought I was a meticulous and fussy Odyssey owner but you are way off the charts, which I love! I especially like your obsessiveness around ambient noise levels in Odysseys, and dare I say, ALL Honda products, and I heartily agree with you that from the very beginning, Honda has always skimped on noise attenuation. I've never been a fan of Toyota's joyless driving experience, but I have to hand it to them and the tomb-like quietness of their vehicles, a quality that Honda has never bothered to emulate much less surpass.
    2018 Tesla Model X100D Tesla forever!
    2017 Tesla Model X100D No more Hondas or ICE vehicles ever
    2017 Tesla Model S75D I’ve been assimilated
    2016 Honda Odyssey Elite 15100 miles Sold
    2007 Honda Civic Hybrid 150,000 miles Sold
    2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES 201,500 miles Sold
    1997 Honda Accord LX 265,000 miles Sold
    1994 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon 120,000 miles Sold
    1993 Honda Civic EX 100,000 miles Traded in
    1991 Honda Civic EX 180,000 miles TOTALLED

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Triaque View Post
    Florida:
    I have a 2019 EX-L. I had already planned to do multiple sound attenuating upgrades to the van when I purchased it. I noted that compared to my 2013 ….before the 2013 sound attenuating upgrades, that the 2019 EX-L was MUCH quieter from the factory than the 2013 EX-L. But I'm never satisfied with Honda's CHEEEEEEP way of doing things when it comes to the details. The bones are good but that's about as far as it goes these days. It's not anything like it was in the 90's. That's another conversation.

Ok, so the most important things that I see from the factory that SIGNIFICANTLY improves noise intrusion into the inside of the vehicle is:
    1.) The noise attenuation layer they place in the side door windows both front and sliding.

I do hope this description has been of some help to you.
    After all your modifications, how much did they add to the empty weight of your vehicle?

I apologize for being a grammar nazi but every "It's" should be "Its."
    I thought I was a meticulous and fussy Odyssey owner comma needed here but you are way off the charts, which I love! I especially like your obsessiveness around ambient noise levels in Odysseys, and dare I say, ALL Honda products, and I heartily agree with you that from the very beginning, Honda has always skimped on noise attenuation. previous sentence has 4 commas and two "ands" this should be broken up into several sentences I've never been a fan of Toyota's joyless driving experience, but I have to hand it to them and the tomb-like quietness of their vehicles highlighted part doesn't make sense. What are you handing to Toyota: the joyless driving experience, or the tomb-like quietness? , a quality that Honda has never bothered to emulate comma needed here much less surpass.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit400 View Post
    I thought I was a meticulous and fussy Odyssey owner comma needed here but you are way off the charts, which I love! I especially like your obsessiveness around ambient noise levels in Odysseys, and dare I say, ALL Honda products, and I heartily agree with you that from the very beginning, Honda has always skimped on noise attenuation. previous sentence has 4 commas and two "ands" this should be broken up into several sentences I've never been a fan of Toyota's joyless driving experience, but I have to hand it to them and the tomb-like quietness of their vehicles highlighted part doesn't make sense. What are you handing to Toyota: the joyless driving experience, or the tomb-like quietness? , a quality that Honda has never bothered to emulate comma needed here much less surpass.
    Touché!!!

The super long sentence is not grammatically incorrect, though I grant you, it is stylistically awkward.

I was giving kudos to Toyota for producing vehicles, in all classes, that are consistently quieter than their Honda counterparts. I apologize for the confusing sentence.

I acknowledge the missing commas.

Unfortunately for me, I can no longer go back and insert the appropriate corrections in my original reply to you.

avesraggiana :

You are definitely correct about my grammar. I was fired up when I typed that posting out. I pounded my response out in seconds because I was going to be late getting on the road to an appointment.....I just had to make those comments.

I am an avid Honda/Acura fan. I will continue lamenting their shortcomings until the stars fall from the sky because I know that they can do so much better. There are so many amazing people working and committed to the company.

After all my complaining I would never buy another product because I love the way Honda does their designs and their engineering. Acura design has been lacking as of late, till this new RDX.

If you read in the above listing of the sound attenuation measures that I put in place. I completed all the work about a week and a half ago. It took me about three days of non-stop work, scraped fingers and bruised arms. I also had a lot of goey glue stuck under my fingernails and on my hands that only starting fluid would release. BUT, I can say beyond a doubt that I have THE quietest and most luxurious sounding driving Odyssey on the road. I performed this to my 2013 EX-L as well and it did the same to the drive. The interior is so quiet and the vehicle sounds so solid that a ride in it is truly a pleasure. If Honda could work out all the bugs that I've mentioned in another thread ...... these vans would be the pinnacle of enjoyment on the road in their class, as well as compete with many vehicles not in the class.

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12