Sound Deadening in the 2018 and 2019 Elite
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Deadening in the 2018 and 2019 Elite

Sound Deadening in the 2018 and 2019 Elite

I have a 2016 Elite and have a problem with road noise. I have done some things to deaden the noise but have been only slightly successful.

I see in articles that the 2018 and 2019 Odysseys have acoustic foam sprayed in the frame. And that the Elite model has sound deadening side windows.

Is the cabin quieter in these models?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The Odys they do have active noise cancellation, there's a microphone in the overhead light console and one in the roof in the center of the vehicle, if one could fit more sensitive microphones, or hack the system somehow to increase the output to the speakers (stereo on or off the system is still active) this might be an even easier option?
    2008 EXL, Purchased @145,000 miles, Fitted OEM Aisin timing belt kit & water pump, Tranny Valvoline Maxlife 3x change, then onto Amsoil multivehicle, VCM Muzzler fitted, Brakes-fluid flushed all round, Penzoil Platinum plus 5w/20, NAPA (Wick) Platinum oil filter, Air filter, Phillips 9012LL/HIR11LL 12v 55w lowbeam bulbs (modified bases to fit = twice as bright!) Aerospace 303 Protectant on plastics as recommended by Honda NOT Armorall which damages! Magnefine inline filter on transmission line.

Put on a good set and of tires, like Michelin Defenders. The acoustic glass is also a huge help, but sound deadening material is your next best bet, although it adds a lot of weight.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

If my seats are folded down especially the third row I notice a lot more road noise. Still not a big difference but it’s noticeable. Make sure your tires are good. A bad set of tires will easily make it very noisy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida View Post
    I have a 2016 Elite and have a problem with road noise. I have done some things to deaden the noise but have been only slightly successful.

I see in articles that the 2018 and 2019 Odysseys have acoustic foam sprayed in the frame. And that the Elite model has sound deadening side windows.

Is the cabin quieter in these models?
    When I test drove the first ODY they had a EXL with NAV sitting outside and awaiting for test drives. I thought it was noisy as the roads the dealer was on had a lot of chuckholes and diagonal cracks in the concrete, then when we drove the Interstate 80, it was new concrete with the typical burlap drag over the concrete, well the tires did not like that and created a lot of tire noise. I talked to the salesman about the Elite if it was quieter and he smiled, let's get back to the dealer and drive an Elite. The noise reduction for me IMHO was 35% less.
    I really didn't want to drive the EXL, but it was what they had ready to drive. I have always bought the best model of no matter what new car I've had and never have regretted the extra it cost. The old motto "You get what you pay for" Has always come to mind. And as most owners do when they do have a lower end model, modify this, modify that. Sometimes they will look at Elite and modify to match what it has. It's costly up front, but in the long run your better off. I'm off my soap box now, hope that helps your sound proofing ideas.

How do you hear the road over the kids? If I want sound deadening I go for a ride by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by masonboswell View Post
    How do you hear the road over the kids? If I want sound deadening I go for a ride by myself.
    My kids and grand children have flown the coop and one of them have 2 kids of her own to drive them crazy! My son was born in 1973 and daughter in 1980. Just
    have to put up with the wife!

We drove a 2017 and 2019 Elite back-to-back and the 2019 was quieter hands down, especially at speed. Most appreciable difference was the road/wind noise; engine roar was about equal during acceleration. The 2017 had a more complaint ride over rough patches but the 2019 felt more stable, but with you guessed it, a busier ride. It reminded us of our 2014 MDX, which we enjoyed. The 2017 was CPO and a great deal, but it was too late we’d tasted the forbidden fruit already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Florida:
    I have a 2019 EX-L. I had already planned to do multiple sound attenuating upgrades to the van when I purchased it. I noted that compared to my 2013 ….before the 2013 sound attenuating upgrades, that the 2019 EX-L was MUCH quieter from the factory than the 2013 EX-L. But I'm never satisfied with Honda's CHEEEEEEP way of doing things when it comes to the details. The bones are good but that's about as far as it goes these days. It's not anything like it was in the 90's. That's another conversation.

Ok, so the most important things that I see from the factory that SIGNIFICANTLY improves noise intrusion into the inside of the vehicle is:
    1.) The noise attenuation layer they place in the side door windows both front and sliding.

There are other touches here and there inside the ELITE version that make additional attenuation of sound but none as powerful as the glass. I actually purchased the glass for the side windows on both the front and sliding doors for my EX-L and installed them all myself. I Found other quality issues inside my door panels that were deficiencies from the factory. Like:

1.) The pre-molded foam moisture and maintenance access opening shields in the amoeba shaped openings on the inner metal door panel were 3/4 circumference NOT bonded to the door panel. That's where the very cold air was coming from during the winter and also where murky humid hot air comes in during the summer while the van is in motion. I fixed that issue myself because the dealer tried it and FAILED. When I got back in there myself to perform window upgrades and other sound upgrades....I found their MESS!!!!

OK,....so that is a major improvement..... the sound attenuating window glasses.

Next. Honda never puts nearly enough sound attenuation under the carpets these days.....Until this van. There is a VERY thick layer of extruded foam under the most of the carpet area that would be exposed to the floor pan. I'd say 95% coverage with thick expanding foam.. However, it's not the good stuff. The good stuff is closed cell NEOPRENE - EPDM. So I pulled the carpet myself and added a NEOPRENE-EPDM 3/8" thick backing with 3M foam bonding adhesive anywhere around the edges of the carpet where they did not add enough.

Next. While the carpet was out I utilized a product called QuietCoat a QuietRock product. You can find this by the gallon on Amazon. I panted multiple coats off this elastomeric material that looks like a "thin-set" tile adhesive but it's something completely different. When it cures onto the floor pan areas it creates a tough yet dry chewing gum-like layer that bonds to the metal and deadens sound that travels throughout the unibody. This material is probably just about 1/4" thick after I finished my final coat of application. It takes about an hour in low humidity conditions to dry and then it takes three days for it to FULLY cure and bond. Once you pass the three day mark....WOW. It really quietens down the road noise and white noise that runs throughout the whole of the chassis.

Next, The inner fenders in the rear quarter panels were sound insulated using 30-50 durometer NEOPRENE-EPDM foam just like I told you I added under the carpet in places the manufacturer did not make it as thick as the rest(kick panel areas)(joint under the folding seat floor latching loop trim area). So, while I had the rear quarter panel inner fender interior plastic upholstery pieces out......I bonded the NEOPRENE-EPDM sheets I custom cut to every inch I could get to in the quarter panels on both sides. Yes! I had to remove several items to get back in there but I was already upgrading the speaker in the subwoofer box, adding poly-quilt batting inside the woofer box to enhance bass response, adding rear towing package, rear "kick" sensor for the rear door lift, and checking behind HONDA while I was in there doing these things. This is where I found a 1/2" wide section of floor pan beading sealant missing and the whole package/seat stowage area saturated with road water and grime. Glad I found this. You can read about it on another thread of mine. Ok so now I'm finished with the foam in the rear quarters.

Next. I pulled the inner fender liners on both the front and the rear wheel wells. The fronts are especially important because Honda did absolutely nothing but put a tiny little "pillow" inside and on top of the inner fender liners to absorb noise inside the void above the front wheel wells. I removed this temporarily and then used the 3/8" thickness NEOPRENE-EPDM foam and 3M spray bonded custom cut pieces of this foam to the back of the wheel well liner while paying close attention to be sure that I had cut out areas where grommets had to be pushed through holes in the inner fender liner and other areas of zero clearance to allow reinstallation to be unimpeded. I also painted on more of the QuietCoat to as much metal surface area hidden behind the inner fender liner that I could get to that didn't have wiring or other hardware items in the way. All this made a HUGE HUGE difference inside the vehicle while driving.

My final and last sound attenuation project is yet to be done because I have not performed my speaker system upgrade and this project will be done last on all four doors such that I have no intention to ever have to go back into the doors again for a long time. I will have to attach the Infinity Kappa Perfect 600 speaker crossovers on each door over the area where the rain shield cover pops into the door maintenance access opening. During this project I will use 3/4" NEOPRENE - EPDM foam with a 30-50 durometer resistance. I will custom cut strips to fit between the outer door panel cross-beam supports. Using the 3/4" thickness adds a significant dampening effect to the door panel. This greatly improves the air space inside the doors for use as a speaker box. The foam attenuates harmonics created by anything from outside as well as attenuates harmonic dissonance caused by the speaker in the door, which affects low frequency sound quality inside the vehicle.

Most people do not understand the physics of sound travel and it requires some understanding of that to be able to reduce/eliminate what you do not want while enhancing what you do want.

I do hope this description has been of some help to you.

@Triaque Thanks for the info! The road noise in my 2017 TE van is horrible. I really need to address the fender liners. Can you post some links to the products? Does the neoprene foam come with an adhesive backing or you need to spray adhesive onto it?

Mr Ranger zr1

The adhesive that I use is 3m brand commercial quality durability spray adhesives. This or something equivalent should be used. Make certain it has compatibility with EPDM NEOPRENE foam or foams in general. You don't want it turning your foam into a pile of goo. You also want a secure bond. 3m has a product that bonds tight but would allow you to peel it back if you wanted at a much later time. I thing it's #72 but I remember it being blue in can color and the spray is blue.

Wow! What a fantastic response. Thank you all so much.

I remember my first test drive in a 2002 odyssey. I had been driving a Chrysler Town and Country that I was getting rid of since the seat heater caught the seat on fire! But the difference of sound quality was night and day. The Chrysler was like a space ship. I recently took a new chrysler for a spin and it has also turned into a very noisy vehicle. But a friend has an Audi Q5 SUV and it is really quiet.

So, expensive cars do get quieter but there is no Acura minivan. But rather than pimp my 2016 rig up, I may get a 2020 Elite next year and get it puffed out at an audio place near here. Thanks again for all the info.

Florida

I'd definitely not pay for an Acura version. I'd get it "puffed" out with detailed direction by you and require photos of the work and proof of materials used by your Audio "experts" Remember ....you want to take the ride....not be taken for one. That's all companies and businesses seem to be interested in these days.

FWIW … I traded in my 2016 EX-L for a new 2019 EX-L about a month ago, and I have been amazed at the improvements, including a notably quieter ride, and a softer, more comfortable ride. I'm assuming the Elite would be even quieter, but I couldn't afford that so I didn't even test drive it. And with all the other upgrades compared to my 2016, I'm thrilled with the new Odyssey!
    Attachment 147645
    -------
    My first Odyssey: 2016 EX-L, White Diamond Pearl, Truffle interior.

Eightwheels:
    I'm glad that you are thrilled with your new EX-L

I hope that:
    It's wheels are not factory out of spec with to much negative camber and cannot be adjusted.

It's CMBS doesn't emergency brake due to a phantom vehicle approaching the front of the vehicle.

It's HVAC fans , headlights, and interior lights don't dip in speed and brightness each rhine the engine speed drops OR when the A/C clutch engages.

I hope the auto dimming feature doesn't dim or brighten the lights at the wrong times and make the feature utterly USELESS.

It's sliding doors have stainless steel lower window glass trims that, at the meeting point with the front doors, do not show a jagged uneven match-up and look shoddy and unworkmanship-like.

It's rear brake light bottoms meet up with the bumper cover with the correct spacing so a big huge gap below the brake light body isn't apparent.

It's front bumper cover isn't missing paint in the deep folds at the bottom of the bumper cover or thin to the point of seeing the primer along the crease in the upper portion of the bumper cover.

It's rear window glass putter 8" margins don't have a severe mottling effect so as to look like privacy glass, blocking your rear view out the back.

It's 9 speed transmission isn't wrought with issues. Specifically mine will speed wildly forward on steep grades when shifting from D5 to D4.

It's A/C system actually can cool the interior after coasting down to be temporarily parked while waiting for someone idling in park after driving at speed keeping the interior cool.

It's headliner doesn't make popping sounds around the sunroof opening and upper console insert.

It's front struts don't pop loudly on hard turns into or out of sharp turns into a driveway or parking spot.

I love mine toooooo. It's my obsession with the known past history of HONDA quality products and the lack thereof in the newer products that really stresses me out.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast