Timing Belt Recall - My Own Personal Pre-Inspection - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Timing Belt Recall - My Own Personal Pre-Inspection

The service manager also said that there should not be 1/2"-3/4" of slack in the off idler side of the belt even with the engine off. He asked me to set an appointment to have his lead tech examine it because he's concerned about that much slack.
    That's really interesting, Triaque. Please let us know what the lead tech says about this.
    Question: is this timing belt issue an actual recall or something you think should happen. Sounds pretty significant to me. Thanks.
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

It doesn't use engine oil pressure. It's a separate hydraulic cylinder. My point was that if you ever watch the engine shut off you'll sometimes see it stop and reverse direction ever so slightly when a piston hits on a bit of compression just as the engine is stopping. This can put a tiny bit of slack in the front of the timing belt. If you've gotten them to look at it then taking a look at it can't hurt.

As I suggested, use a socket and a ratchet to turn the crank pulley clockwise (normal engine direction of rotation) and then make sure the belt is tight on both sides. With only the top covers of it may be a bit difficult to check the belt slack on the rear bank, between the crank pulley and the rear cam pulley.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

John Clark

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to do more research on this whole timing belt recall issue. BUT, not only that. I've got more exacting details I need to gather on the purpose and design of the J35 tensioner and hydraulic dampener.

I noted already that there was no oil path from the engine lube system supplying the hydraulic damper you had mentioned. I had also noted that this is a self contained fluid based harmonic
    damper system. Most likely quelling engine pulsation in an identical design as the older legend dual mass flywheels that also used a viscous fluid damping system to quell engine harmonic pulsation in effort to protect the manual transmission bearings and gear cogs. Not to mention quick abrupt releases of the clutch pedal. So back to the timing belts.

During engine harmonic pulsation as well as continuous on/off cycling of the accellerator pedal we see the inertia of the engine pulsing the timing belt from a state of tension to slack and back and forth over and over thousands of times. This continually over time degrades the timing belt and the lifespan of the belt....

These are my notations thus far. Do add more knowledge in this area so everyone can gain understanding.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Hodna

I'm going to post more on my personal observations on my Odyssey's timing belt slack issue.

As John Clark and I have been discussing the hardware upgrades that are on the newer J35 timing belt harmonic dampener and tensioner system.....I have yet to fish out the exact purpose and design parameters of the whole system on the newer set up. Once I have ALL the facts I'll post a follow up.

I'm not an engineer and I'm not going to try and reverse engineer the system. The timing belt tensioner system on these hasn't changed since 2005, at least on the Ody. The only thing that can cause slack in the belt is a failing tensioner. Even on the most worn out tensioner I've seen there is still tension on it but it leaks the fluid and becomes weak and makes a clacking sound that would make you think the engine is ready to blow up. I'd be really surprised if that was occuring on your van but rather than speculate lets just wait and see what they say. My money is on "we found nothing wrong with your engine" but lets wait and see.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

Thanks, Triaque.
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

I've seen there is still tension on it but it leaks the fluid and becomes weak and makes a clacking sound that would make you think the engine is ready to blow up
    Engineer or not, John do you think the rattle sound I'm hearing on my Oddy could be coming from a faulty or loose timing belt? There are no signs of a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodna View Post
    Engineer or not, John do you think the rattle sound I'm hearing on my Oddy could be coming from a faulty or loose timing belt? There are no signs of a leak.[/COLOR]
    There are lots of different rattle type noises. A loose tensioner will make rattle or clacking sound as the steel tensioner pulley bounces on the tensioner. There are some videos out there of clacking caused by a worn tensioner.
    2012 VW Passat-Black

Hodna

Did you check the external serpentine tensioner. These can be bad right off the lot. I have direct experience. The tensioner will tap out a similar sound cadence that John Clark described.

Hi Triaque,

I agree with you about the external tensioner. I had to go outside my car the other night to load some stuff into the back. I put the car in Park and engaged the parking brake. While loading the stuff, I could hear a definite squeak sound coming from the front. It was dark and raining, so I didn't bother opening the hood to see if I could localize the sound. I suspect the external tensioner is noisy and creating premature wear on the serpentine belt. There shouldn't be that much noise on a low-mileage van.

I own a commercial building and one of my tenants is an automotive electrician. I had him inspect under the hood for possible causes to the rattle or slapping sound I have described all along. He thinks it's coming from the alternator decoupler pulley. If he's right, I'll have to live with it because apparently you can't swap these pulleys out for a stationary one?

How many problems are we all facing - all in the name of questionable environmental gains? If you want to clean up the planet, don't look at Canada or the U.S., look at China where you can't see ten feet in front of you because of pollution. You don't see Americans or Canadians walking the streets wearing masks, unless they're about to rob a convenience store . But I digress...

Hodna, have you thought about purchasing an automotive stethoscope to localize from where the noise is coming. You could also use a long screw driver but i feel it is much safer and much more accurate to use the stethoscope.

Hi Joden,

My tenant used his automotive stethoscope to try and localize the noise. That's probably why he was thinking it was the alternator decoupler pulley. Good thought though. Thanks...

Squeaky belt in the rain isn’t all that unusual. Does it still make a noise when dry? I’m with a John on the J35 timing tensioner. I’d be very surprised if it’s an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It squeaks all the time. In fact, when I shut the engine off, the engine coasts for a few revolutions (normal) but the squeak gets louder, probably because the engine no longer helps drown out the noise. In short, the belt and tensioner sound like they've been on the car for 100,000 or so km and need to be replaced.

Hodna
    The simplest thing to do is to use a wrench to detention the spring load on the tensioner pulley and slip the external serpentine drive belt off completely and crank the vehicle and let it idle long enough for you to hear the squeaking sound. I would do this operation after the engine has been running so everything is at temperature and when you hear the squeak.

This will eliminate all this chatter about what it could be.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast