RES options for own video content playback
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: RES options for own video content playback

We just got the 2018 Touring (Canadian), and I am trying to figure out my options for playing our own video content on the RES.

I need something I can quickly throw on for the kids in the back.

It's kinda hard to teach a 3yo to use DVD navigation menu with a remote... and besides with ubiquitous YouTube, who even owns DVDs nowadays. Regardless, I tried to control a DVD from the front.... but since you don't actually see what's on screen, and the system doesn't auto-resume from where you stopped last time, using a DVD is virtually impossible.

I then tried to copy a bunch of MP4 music videos to the car's disk.... but apparently there is a limit of 20MB per file.... where have you seen music videos that small? What's this feature even for?

No problem, I will stick the USB stick with MP4s into the 2nd row USB port.... not so fast, apparently the RES can only play USBs that are plugged into the front console's port. Is the 2nd row USB port for charging only?

Sure, let me put the USB into the front.... oh fudge, that's where my phone with Android Auto is connected. Android Auto one of the reasons we bought a 2018+ instead of taking a 2016 or something.

Alright, no problem, I will put the MP4s on the phone itself and setup the connection for file transfer.... nope.... can't setup phone for file-transfer while Android Auto is used....

Now the wife took the car to work and I am left scratching my head what to do next....
    Any tips or advice? I haven't tried the Cabin Control app yet. Would that let me send a video (not music audio) to the RES?
    I am >< this close to buying a cheap AndroidTV stick and plugging that into the HDMI port

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Put it on USB in mp4 format and insert in the USB port that’s in the center console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by digitalextremes View Post
    Put it on USB in mp4 format and insert in the USB port that’s in the center console.
    But then I can't use Android Auto...
    Thanks for the suggestion though

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

chromecast in the HDMI input, tether to car wifi, and cast the videos?

Yeah i know... its a stupid system.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhonda View Post
    chromecast in the HDMI input, tether to car wifi, and cast the videos?
    Yeah i know... its a stupid system.
    I was actually thinking that. Have you tried that?

i have a roku hooked up to the hdmi and the roku getting data from the att hotspot. https://www.facebook.com/kent.mcclai...8443954153642/
    2019 Honda Odyssey Touring , white

I was able to teach my 4yr old how to navigate the custom DVD menus I created, so with a little time and a lot of patience , you might be able to teach your 3yr old too. You can also set the DVDs to auto-play so you don't need to navigate the menu unless you want a specific video.
    2019 Modern Steel Metallic EX-L w/ Nav-RES
    OEM All-Weather Floor Mats / LEDs: Headlight, Foglight, Reverse, all interior
    Coming Soon - Tinted front windows / Dipped: Tailgate chrome trim, Front grill

My daughter uses a digital AV adapter to connect her phone to the RES through HDMI. Media is played on the phone and displayed on the RES screen. The adapter for Iphone also has a port for charging, so the phone can still be charged while its connected to the RES.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiano View Post
    My daughter uses a digital AV adapter to connect her phone to the RES through HDMI. Media is played on the phone and displayed on the RES screen. The adapter for Iphone also has a port for charging, so the phone can still be charged while its connected to the RES.
    Can you share the name of the product? I bought one but it didn’t work in the odyssey

Its an apple product "[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter (MD826AM/A)", we got it from bestbuy. [/COLOR]

Thanks

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements