Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Dealership Regular Service Prices

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  kalau 
#1 ·
This is our first Honda and we're new to the Honda Service Center pricing model.

Our first oil change (10k miles) was $59.99.

Our second oil change (approx 20k miles) was $59.99 but Honda required the cabin air filter to be changed. We were told OEM parts must be used and must be completed at the dealership otherwise the warranty is void. The replacement of the in-cabin filter was billed out at $142 for a part that costs $20 online.

Is this typical?

#2 ·
That’s BS, Dealer is misinformed. I only get the dealer to do oil and filter change, I replace the cabin and air filters myself.

None that has to be done at a dealer and should not void original Honda warranties as long as put in the right stuff and have receipts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
The dealership is completely wrong. In the U.S. the Magnuson-Moss act (1975) limits the terms and conditions which manufacturers may apply to warranties for consumer products. One of those is that they may not require Oem parts to maintain warranty coverage. You can buy your own parts and have them replaced at the location of your choice and the warranty will remain in force.

Im not sure of the replacement procedure, but it has typically been between 5 and 15 minutes on cars I’ve owned. So unless labor rates have reached levels not previously heard of, the charge seems unreasonable.

Call the dealer and complain. Call Honda and complain. If you receive a satisfaction survey, give them the lowest possible marks in every category.

#4 ·
They can require that OEM parts be used only, but then they have to provide the parts to you for no charge! That's why aftermarket or non oem parts are allowed as long as they meet or exceed the manufacturers specifications. Look on just about any name brand aftermarket oil, filter, air cleaner, etc and you will see what specifications it meets.

#5 ·
$142 for cabin air filter replacement!? Cheese and rice! If it’s like my 2017, it’s a 2 minute procedure. Pop the glove box down, pull out the old filter, and pop the new filter in. Like you said, less than $20 on Amazon. I think I got a Wix filter.

I’d never go to the dealership again. Were they wearing a mask and holding a gun? To have the cajones to say parts must be OEM and installed at dealership too. Disgusting.

#7 · (Edited)
I am only letting my dealer to change my first oil because it's free! After that I will take it to my own mechanic who actually is a certified Honda mechanic and his day job is at a Honda dealership. He charges me $20 for oil change with filter and I provide my own synthetic oil. I think he charges me $40 or $50 total when he changes my air filter along w/ an oil change. Don't waste your money at the dealership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.