EX-L vs Touring - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EX-L vs Touring

Quote Originally Posted by clunkclunk View Post
    We went with the EX-L with no Nav or RES back in October 2017. I'm very happy with our decision. Despite the complaints from others, our 9-speed has been fine. No jarring or harsh shifts, and it hunts for gears about as often as any automatic with more than about 6 gears.

I've never felt a tinge of envy for the Vac, RES (we have iPads for entertainment when it's needed, and Car Play for navigation), the automatic tailgate, parking sensors, or CabinWatch/Talk.

The LED headlights, acoustic side glass from the Elite, the 110V plug, mobile hotspot and third row sunshades would be *nice* but not worth the ~$8K price bump in my opinion.

Since you're in the Bay Area, I'll share my buying process. Once we settled on *precisely* what configuration we wanted, I spent a day or two and searched out every matching stock number from all Honda dealers in the Bay Area and greater Sacramento area (and between) - I think it was 24 dealers total. I simply asked best price OTD for the precise config I wanted, and worked them pretty hard. About half the dealers never even bothered to respond (though they were happy to spam my phone - good thing I used a Google Voice number), then of the ones that responded, half weren't even in the same ballpark in terms of price. Of the six or seven who were close, I just kept bouncing them off each other. The winner was Oakland Honda. They matched the lowest price, and offered their in house lifetime powertrain warranty. Not that it's a super big deal, but it was something. Plus Oakland is pretty close to us. It was smooth to buy it from them. Now this was back in October 2017 when the 2018s were pretty new (EX-Ls had only hit dealer lots about a month earlier), but we got it for $35K before taxes and fees.
    Wow awesome thanks for the feedback! I actually have it narrowed down b/w Oakland Honda and Fremont Honda. I followed a similar strategy as yours, bouncing them off each other. Fremont Honda is a bit cheaper than Oakland Honda, but Oakland Honda throws in that lifetime drivetrain warranty.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Touring / Elite have a different transmission that seems to be less problem prone.

RES is great for long trips with the kids.

The VAC in the back is really handy for the kids and dogs.

I had Res in my 2011 EX-L and had no issues whatsoever. I will say that my kids stopped using it and reverted to their ipads after the first few years. I have Res in my 2018 Cdn Touring and everytime my partners young children try to use it there is a struggle. Usually get it sorted out after 5 minutes but unlike the 2011, it is far from without issues.

And I'd have to say generally that my 2018 has far more trips to the dealer than did my 2011. While a few are hardware related (replaced Infotainment Unit, wiring harness, battery terminal, door hinges twice, pads and rotors pending), the vast majority are software related and as likely as not, I give up and just accept that this or that feature that I paid extra for, simply doesn't work.

Still a beautiful machine to drive though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12