So after month long debate and daily swings between Odyssey and Pacifica Hybrid, I have finally decided on Pacifica Hybrid for following reasons.
Not including Sienna in this thread as Sienna, was last remodeled in 2010 which causes some issues. Its definitely better for reliability vs not only PacHy but also Ody as over time it's all cleared out all those issues. But because of 2010, it looks old, stuffs in it are old, doesn't really stand up to todays crash testings and also no apple auto/android car play.
So between PacHy and Ody
Comparing PacHy Ltd w Advanced Safety Tec + Tri-pane Sunroof + 18inch wheels and Ody EX-L.
Comparing these two because I could get them at around same price.
Best price with such PacHy, I could get was around Portland metro 45k, after tax rebates, it would be 35k.
For Ody EX-L, best price I have is just under 34k. So overall closeby.
Advantages of Ody over PacHy
1) its Honda, so 'predicted' better reliability and resale value (though I am getting some data points that point to other direction), also some reports of PacHy catching fires
2) Magic seating 2nd row and 8 seating capacity
Actually this 2nd point was huge for me and I had almost decided on Odyssey for same as the seating flexibility it provides:
I have a 17 month old and we are expecting our second one in around month.
So our most common cofiguration would be two adults (me and my wife) and two (young babies). In Ody with 3 seats in second row, my wife or me can seat with two baby car seats either on one side, or may be even we seating in between. Can't do that in PacHy.
Other config is 6. My/my wives parents added. In both cases, we will have can two adults in front; one adult, one baby in second row; and one adult, one baby in third row. But here also Ody wins as I will move the second row sits closeby, thus making third row egress easy.
We would have 8 people a few times (this is very few I know, but still it will be there in next few months with my grand parents visiting us). So in this case, only possible option is Ody, PacHy doesn't have 8 seat capacity. We can have one baby in each row, or also both babies in third row.
Advantages of PacHy over Ody
1) Hybrid, huge fuel savings. Specially my work place has chargers, and my round trip is less than 33 miles, so I can pretty much drive without any cost on most of the days
2) hands free side doors, I think they would be very useful specially when you have baby in your hand.
3) 360 degree camera and park assist. A very good features for specially a big car. I am used to sedan, these features would have been useful in minivan
4) Tri-pane sunroof. Live in Pacific Northwest, more light is always good, especially in winter
5) Ventilated seats, I often get very sweaty at my back during drives. And ventilated seats would have been a god-gift.
6) double entertainment screens
7) far modern looking interior
Seating issue was important but then I was like my 17 month old need parental assistance on road may be for 6-12 more months, after which he should be independent enough.
Cars catching fires, I am definitely concerned, but I am hoping that its very rare.
Overall PacHy is a better deal, has tons of more features and various reports online makes me think that overall reliability in both of them is very closeby, so going for PacHy.