Odyssey vs Pacifica Hybrid
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odyssey vs Pacifica Hybrid

Odyssey vs Pacifica Hybrid

So after month long debate and daily swings between Odyssey and Pacifica Hybrid, I have finally decided on Pacifica Hybrid for following reasons.

Not including Sienna in this thread as Sienna, was last remodeled in 2010 which causes some issues. Its definitely better for reliability vs not only PacHy but also Ody as over time it's all cleared out all those issues. But because of 2010, it looks old, stuffs in it are old, doesn't really stand up to todays crash testings and also no apple auto/android car play.

So between PacHy and Ody

Comparing PacHy Ltd w Advanced Safety Tec + Tri-pane Sunroof + 18inch wheels and Ody EX-L.
    Comparing these two because I could get them at around same price.
    Best price with such PacHy, I could get was around Portland metro 45k, after tax rebates, it would be 35k.
    For Ody EX-L, best price I have is just under 34k. So overall closeby.

Advantages of Ody over PacHy
    1) its Honda, so 'predicted' better reliability and resale value (though I am getting some data points that point to other direction), also some reports of PacHy catching fires
    2) Magic seating 2nd row and 8 seating capacity

Actually this 2nd point was huge for me and I had almost decided on Odyssey for same as the seating flexibility it provides:
    I have a 17 month old and we are expecting our second one in around month.

So our most common cofiguration would be two adults (me and my wife) and two (young babies). In Ody with 3 seats in second row, my wife or me can seat with two baby car seats either on one side, or may be even we seating in between. Can't do that in PacHy.
    Other config is 6. My/my wives parents added. In both cases, we will have can two adults in front; one adult, one baby in second row; and one adult, one baby in third row. But here also Ody wins as I will move the second row sits closeby, thus making third row egress easy.
    We would have 8 people a few times (this is very few I know, but still it will be there in next few months with my grand parents visiting us). So in this case, only possible option is Ody, PacHy doesn't have 8 seat capacity. We can have one baby in each row, or also both babies in third row.

Advantages of PacHy over Ody
    1) Hybrid, huge fuel savings. Specially my work place has chargers, and my round trip is less than 33 miles, so I can pretty much drive without any cost on most of the days
    2) hands free side doors, I think they would be very useful specially when you have baby in your hand.
    3) 360 degree camera and park assist. A very good features for specially a big car. I am used to sedan, these features would have been useful in minivan
    4) Tri-pane sunroof. Live in Pacific Northwest, more light is always good, especially in winter
    5) Ventilated seats, I often get very sweaty at my back during drives. And ventilated seats would have been a god-gift.
    6) double entertainment screens
    7) far modern looking interior

Seating issue was important but then I was like my 17 month old need parental assistance on road may be for 6-12 more months, after which he should be independent enough.
    Cars catching fires, I am definitely concerned, but I am hoping that its very rare.

Overall PacHy is a better deal, has tons of more features and various reports online makes me think that overall reliability in both of them is very closeby, so going for PacHy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

We have just over 3,000 miles on our Pacifica Hybrid and love it. Before we bought it, we were trying to decide if we should upgrade my Volvo V60 to the V90 or go with the Pacifica Hybrid. I told my wife that if we got the Pacifica, no way was I driving a mini van even though we had had them for nearly 35 years. Fast forward to the present and I drive the Pacifica every chance I get.
    If you do decide on the Pacifica, I don't think you will regret it. I installed a Level 2 charger myself because charging on Level 1 was taking 14 hours while the Level 2 take about 2 1/2 hours.
    2006 EX-L
    2015 Volvo V60
    2019 Pacifica Hybrid
    1970 Camaro(original owner)

I agree with your assessment of the Ody and the Pac, and your reasons for taking a pass on the Sienna.

However, I for one continue to be concerned about the long-term reliability of Chrysler products.

Happy travels in your Pac Hybrid. Smile as you pass the gas pumps.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    151,000 miles/243,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 19 drain and fills

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Hi Dave,

Based on all the current 5th generation Odyssey issues and breakdowns, I doubt they will last any longer than a Chrysler product. The long-term reliability we used to enjoy with Honda is no longer. If the first two years of the 5th generation is any indication, I'd say Honda has gone all to h***.
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

Quote Originally Posted by pannna View Post
    So after month long debate and daily swings between Odyssey and Pacifica Hybrid, I have finally decided on Pacifica Hybrid for following reasons. .... snip ....
    Have you done research on:
    1. How long the batteries will last?
    2. How much it will cost for a new set of batteries?
    3. The disposal cost of the old batteries?

I've always wondered about the above for electric cars.
    Thanks.

As someone who had been burned twice by Chrysler in the past(transmission in one case and corrosion in the other), I swore never again but we decided to try once more. So far, we've had no issues but that may be partly due to the fact that I won't buy a first year model again so it's given Chrysler a chance to work out some of the bugs.
    2006 EX-L
    2015 Volvo V60
    2019 Pacifica Hybrid
    1970 Camaro(original owner)

I agree with the Pacifica over the Odyssey. We've rented them three times and liked it each time (transmission/1st gear, infotainment screen closer, panoramic sunroof, sliding doors/faster, dual rear screens, etc.).
    However, I don't trust FCA products - at all.
    And the hybrid is a dog - the lack of Stow-N-Go in the hybrid just makes things worse.
    Note: the lower-spec Pacifica has merits, but they do cut costs in awkward places.
    And the highest-spec Pacifica has the absolutely asinine metal band around the steering wheel. It gets wicked hot in summer, and unbelievably cold in winter.

Test the PacHy. Was not impressed with the fit and finish. Everything in it felt cheaper and more poorly constructed - I /really/ wanted to like it too. All our other cars are either electric or hybrids.

I was in a similar situation. I passed on the Pacifica....the seats were uncomfortable, and it was a DOG, performance-wise. The Ody......literally hauls ass. There was a learning curve to NOT squeal the tires....Also, 1st year model of the Pac.....FCA....etc...

I also should mention, if you’ve never owned a PHEV...do your research....from actual owners. Don’t drink the Kool-Aid. I own a 2017 Ford Fusion Energi (PHEV), and a Tesla. Electrics aren’t necessarily all they are cracked up to be. Much more niche than conventional.

My 2018 Ody, so far....has been “relatively” problem free. I have the same infotainment software issues that everyone else has, my transmission used to slam into gear (like many do), but for me, a reflash fixed that.....

This is on a 2018 EX, with 75K miles put on it in less than a year. I can’t complain too much.

Either way you go, good luck to you. It seems of late that it’s really hit, or miss, with Honda.....that’s a sad change from the days when you knew if you bought a Honda.....you were good.

I am still after going back and forth and more or less the same pros and cons you've stated. I wish either there's a new body style Sienna or a plug-in Odyssey and that would have made the decision much easier. Hence, I am starting to lean toward a Sedona.
    Last edited by Bb987; 05-13-2019 at 01:45 AM.

On our van search, we test-drove the PacHy first. I really wanted to like it. The PHEV use case matched our typical day-to-day usage, and I was excited to kick the gas habit. But neither my wife nor I could stand the seats. This mattered for us on account of many long trips. I also couldn't stand the transmission "dial", which looks dangerously like a volume knob and is also in a dangerously similar location (just when I thought FCA couldn't come up with a control scheme more obnoxious than the PowerFlite push-button). Speaking of push buttons, which are unfortunately experiencing a resurgence in other than FCA products, the good old-fashioned PRNDL control was largely responsible for steering us toward a Gen4 Ody rather than a Gen5.

The whole shift knob confused for volume knob on the Pac is way way over blown. One is a large metal knob that has resistance and defined detents and the other a smaller plastic knob that is easy to turn. I think this is a power of suggestion problem from auto reviewers that aren't owners. I blame them for the trend of getting rid of buttons too. Now we have unsafe menus to dig through just to get to a function. Because those reviewers are only in the car for a day or two, whereas an owner will be with the car for years and will get to know where things are and how to use them.

BTW, Honda's push button system makes no sense, as it take up the same amount of real estate as the shifter!
    2014 Silver Elite

Past
    2001 Ody EX
    2004 Ody EX NAV
    2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
    2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
    2011 Ody Elite

This is one of the more pointless threads I've seen in here. Why are we talking about the pros and cons of the Pacifica here? And with people who have already chosen the Pacifica. In all the above comments, any mention of an Odyssey is tangential at best.

Don't get me wrong; the discussion itself is fine but it has precious little to do with 2018+ Odysseys. Maybe the mods could move it to the Off-Topic section?
    2015 EX - Shear Comfort seat covers, Husky Liners floor liners, OEM cargo liner, S-VCM, Street Guardian dashcam, Lubegard Red

There is no contradiction in having a soft heart and a hard mind.

Except for "recalls" 36000 miles on 2018 Touring, the best over all van for us. we also bought new a 2006 and 2011 Ody.

I think it’s perfectly fine here, as apparently many others do as well.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast