2019 extended warranty questions
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: 2019 extended warranty questions

2019 extended warranty questions

I checked the Warranty forum in the odyclub but notice that the dates for most of the posts are before 2018 so may not really be applicable to 2018-2019 models.

Anyway, I'm of the camp that Honda (or anyone else including for TVs, etc.) only offers extended warranties because they make a huge amount of money from them. My son used to work for Sears and he said they were taught to really push selling extended warranties.

That said, I just wanted to learn about Honda 2018-2019 extended warranties.

I bought a 2019 Odyssey EX 1.5 weeks ago. The Honda finance manager tried to sell me a 10 year extended warranty for $2300. He said that warranty would only cover electronics in the vehicle. What? I've not been able to find any posts in odyclub that mention this type of 10 year extended electronics only warranty. Just curious, is this common?

I've seen posts that mention the "Honda Care" warranty. The finance manager never mentioned this extended warranty to me. Should he have?

I did not purchase the 10 year extended electronics only warranty. Just wanted to get some insight on that verses the Honda Care warranty.

Thanks for any comments,
    Raptor88

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I think your assessment about extended warranties is correct--they are a great source of profit for the dealerships/retailers. I recall that Sports Authority cashiers were "encouraged" to offer extended warranties on every item sold, including socks! The finance department folks are really good at guilting buyers and upselling unnecessary items at hefty prices, you were wise to resist the temptation!

The electronics warranty sounds kind of fishy--it may be more profitable for that dealership to offer that rather than the Honda Care one.

We have purchased many vehicles (including the first year of new generation models) and have never purchased an extended warranty. Thankfully we have never suffered any problems that would have been covered by the warranty, so essentially we have been self insuring ourselves in lieu of the extended warranties and have saved thousands of dollars on unnecessary extended warranties (on our vehicles as well as household appliances, electronics, tools, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by vango5 View Post
    I think your assessment about extended warranties is correct--they are a great source of profit for the dealerships/retailers. I recall that Sports Authority cashiers were "encouraged" to offer extended warranties on every item sold, including socks! The finance department folks are really good at guilting buyers and upselling unnecessary items at hefty prices, you were wise to resist the temptation!

The electronics warranty sounds kind of fishy--it may be more profitable for that dealership to offer that rather than the Honda Care one.

We have purchased many vehicles (including the first year of new generation models) and have never purchased an extended warranty. Thankfully we have never suffered any problems that would have been covered by the warranty, so essentially we have been self insuring ourselves in lieu of the extended warranties and have saved thousands of dollars on unnecessary extended warranties (on our vehicles as well as household appliances, electronics, tools, etc).
    Yes, I never before heard of an electronics only warranty. Especially for $2300 even though it's for 10 years.

Your self insurance is what I've also done for everything I buy. And like you, I'm thousands of dollars ahead.

Thanks,
    Raptor88

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor88 View Post
    I bought a 2019 Odyssey EX 1.5 weeks ago. The Honda finance manager tried to sell me a 10 year extended warranty for $2300. He said that warranty would only cover electronics in the vehicle. What? I've not been able to find any posts in odyclub that mention this type of 10 year extended electronics only warranty. Just curious, is this common?

I've seen posts that mention the "Honda Care" warranty. The finance manager never mentioned this extended warranty to me. Should he have?

I did not purchase the 10 year extended electronics only warranty. Just wanted to get some insight on that verses the Honda Care warranty.
    The usual route is purchasing Honda Care via Hyannis Honda as they have the best rates. Haven't heard of an electronic-only warranty but dealers are able to offer anything under the sun. They are not obligated to mention Honda Care during the purchase process. Honda Care is the most popular option on the forum (besides buying nothing) as it's backed by the manufacturer and honored at any dealer. Dealer-specific warranties typically can't be transferred anywhere else.

My trip through the F&I gauntlet involved an initial $2300 quote for a dealer-only warranty and after flatly refusing it somehow immediately dropped to $1800.

Quote Originally Posted by vsnet View Post
    The usual route is purchasing Honda Care via Hyannis Honda as they have the best rates. Haven't heard of an electronic-only warranty but dealers are able to offer anything under the sun. They are not obligated to mention Honda Care during the purchase process. Honda Care is the most popular option on the forum (besides buying nothing) as it's backed by the manufacturer and honored at any dealer. Dealer-specific warranties typically can't be transferred anywhere else.

My trip through the F&I gauntlet involved an initial $2300 quote for a dealer-only warranty and after flatly refusing it somehow immediately dropped to $1800.
    Thank you for the link to Hyannis Honda. I'll read up on it though I'm not likely to buy an extended warranty, but I could change my mind. Did you buy your Honda Care for $1800?

I believe I paid $1,350 for the Honda Care Warranty on my 2018 Odyssey through Hyannis Honda. There is almost no chance this car won't need $1,350 worth of maintenance. Getting the dealership to do the maintenance, may be another issue all together though.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdoc View Post
    I believe I paid $1,350 for the Honda Care Warranty on my 2018 Odyssey through Hyannis Honda. There is almost no chance this car won't need $1,350 worth of maintenance. Getting the dealership to do the maintenance, may be another issue all together though.
    Thank you for your additional information. When you say "Getting the dealership to do the maintenance, may be another issue all together though", does that mean that the Hyannis Honda warranty may not be honored by one's local Honda dealer?

Just to be clear, the standard HondaCare warranty does not cover maintenance (nor wear items such as brake pads). Only repairs. For some reason some owners have difficulty getting their dealers to do covered repairs, while others find their dealer to be VERY proactive going over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb at every service visit and repairing anything that is covered, especially near the end of the warranty.

HondaCare is the only truly national coverage that every Honda dealer accepts. Some dealers, especially those that own multiple locations, love to push a 3rd party or in some cases even an "in-house" warranty that is difficult to get honored outside of the purchasing dealer. Those 3rd party warranties are best avoided IMO and agreed upon by most members here.

You have hit upon the bottom line issue with most extended warranties. No seller of such warranty sells it intending to lose money in claims, even Honda corporate. The model is the warranty issuer has plenty of data for the average expected cost of repairs over the warranty period for the vehicle they are issuing it for. The policy is then issued using that information and adding a healthy profit for the insurer. Now the dealer sells it to the buyer, many times at a significant mark up to the buyer. Now you have the expected repair cost plus 2 middlemen adding mark up. In may cases you are paying 2X or more the expected average repair costs and your chances of experiencing that much repair expense is low, but if you have bad luck and get one that needs 3-4X the amount of repair you may find yourself ahead of the game. Naturally some of those people find their way here and report such as do a few that say they bought the warranty and never used it. The advantage the warranty seller has is they can spread their risk over thousands of vehicles and the good vs bad will average out, but you only bought one vehicle so your risk is all in one place.

Should any individual buy an extended warranty? Over the course of 8 new cars purchased I only bought the extended warranty once, and I turned out to be right in every case. Probably more dumb luck than anything else, but the way I would evaluate this is consider if a major repair expense (let's say $2K) would leave you just angry that you had to spend the money, or if you would have to put it on a credit card or worse, park the car until you could afford the repair. If you are living paycheck to paycheck it may make sense to finance the warranty with the new car so there are no surprises, but if you have 6 mo of living expenses in savings as many financial gurus recommend and a major repair won't mean missing your rent/mortgage payment it usually makes more sense to skip it. Either way you are betting/taking a risk. Buy it and you are betting your new car will be worse than average and skipping it means you are betting it will be better than average. Whichever way you feel more comfortable is the right answer for you.
    30 year career of car sales and related industry - Part Time Detailer
    2006 EX-L Slate Green Metallic - Purchased new Dec 2005, totaled May 2013 at 166K
    2007 EX-L NAV RES Slate Green Metallic - purchased May 2013 with 113K now 200K+

Quote Originally Posted by pkrface View Post
    Just to be clear, the standard HondaCare warranty does not cover maintenance (nor wear items such as brake pads). Only repairs. For some reason some owners have difficulty getting their dealers to do covered repairs, while others find their dealer to be VERY proactive going over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb at every service visit and repairing anything that is covered, especially near the end of the warranty.

HondaCare is the only truly national coverage that every Honda dealer accepts. Some dealers, especially those that own multiple locations, love to push a 3rd party or in some cases even an "in-house" warranty that is difficult to get honored outside of the purchasing dealer. Those 3rd party warranties are best avoided IMO and agreed upon by most members here.

You have hit upon the bottom line issue with most extended warranties. No seller of such warranty sells it intending to lose money in claims, even Honda corporate. The model is the warranty issuer has plenty of data for the average expected cost of repairs over the warranty period for the vehicle they are issuing it for. The policy is then issued using that information and adding a healthy profit for the insurer. Now the dealer sells it to the buyer, many times at a significant mark up to the buyer. Now you have the expected repair cost plus 2 middlemen adding mark up. In may cases you are paying 2X or more the expected average repair costs and your chances of experiencing that much repair expense is low, but if you have bad luck and get one that needs 3-4X the amount of repair you may find yourself ahead of the game. Naturally some of those people find their way here and report such as do a few that say they bought the warranty and never used it. The advantage the warranty seller has is they can spread their risk over thousands of vehicles and the good vs bad will average out, but you only bought one vehicle so your risk is all in one place.

Should any individual buy an extended warranty? Over the course of 8 new cars purchased I only bought the extended warranty once, and I turned out to be right in every case. Probably more dumb luck than anything else, but the way I would evaluate this is consider if a major repair expense (let's say $2K) would leave you just angry that you had to spend the money, or if you would have to put it on a credit card or worse, park the car until you could afford the repair. If you are living paycheck to paycheck it may make sense to finance the warranty with the new car so there are no surprises, but if you have 6 mo of living expenses in savings as many financial gurus recommend and a major repair won't mean missing your rent/mortgage payment it usually makes more sense to skip it. Either way you are betting/taking a risk. Buy it and you are betting your new car will be worse than average and skipping it means you are betting it will be better than average. Whichever way you feel more comfortable is the right answer for you.
    All excellent observations and conclusions. Thanks for expanding and clarifying the extended warranty subject.

If you were to consider purchasing one, ONLY get HondaCare. Do not even consider anything the dealer tries to push you.

Quote Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
    If you were to consider purchasing one, ONLY get HondaCare. Do not even consider anything the dealer tries to push you.
    Thanks for your confirmation.
    Raptor88

We paid $1800 for extended warranty for 10 years 125k miles with $100 deductible each claim. Only reason why we got it is Elite and Touring Model Each headlight alone cost $800 for each side plus labor and they are LED so you cannot replace those and just have to replace the whole unit. So I imagine in 10 years your headlights eventually will go out and if anything else will go bad it is still covered for small fraction of price for 10 year period.

Quote Originally Posted by vinit1102 View Post
    We paid $1800 for extended warranty for 10 years 125k miles with $100 deductible each claim. Only reason why we got it is Elite and Touring Model Each headlight alone cost $800 for each side plus labor and they are LED so you cannot replace those and just have to replace the whole unit. So I imagine in 10 years your headlights eventually will go out and if anything else will go bad it is still covered for small fraction of price for 10 year period.
    If you purchased the Honda Care Warranty, it DOES NOT cover headlight bulbs or headlight units according to their disclaimer. Did you perhaps get a different company warranty or a different electronic coverage which may cover these lights? Below is copied from the Honda Care plan saying what is NOT covered. With the year and mileage limits you purchased, sound like maybe an aftermarket warranty? If so, you better check and double check to make sure those bulbs/lights/units are actually covered. Very seldom are they covered by most warranties.

Parts other than genuine HONDA or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts; wiper blades, battery (except for the nickel-metal hydride battery in hybrid vehicles); cables; belts; hoses; timing belt replacement when performed as routine maintenance: exhaust system, catalytic converter; brake system wear items such as drums/rotors, shoes/pads; clutch disc, pressure plate; throw out bearing, external shift linkages; glass, mirror glass, body parts; body structure, panels; bright metal; sheet metal; paint; bumpers; moldings; lenses; bulbs (except for dashboard bulbs); sealed beams; fuses; weather-strips (except for window run channels); outside ornamentation; wheel covers/ornaments; rims: studs; fastening/securing hardware; body seals; squeaks, rattles; buttons; carpet; dash pad; window handles; knobs; rearview mirror; trim; upholstery; electronic/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than AMERICAN HONDA AUTHORIZED ELECTRONIC/AUDIO ACCESSORIES; tires; seat belts; airbag(s), and the Safety Restraint System (except for the SRS control unit and cable reel.)
    Last edited by ls973800; Yesterday at 06:57 PM.

When I read about the lawsuit on VCM that Honda lost, and the 2018/2019 still had it (maybe reduced) and they only were offering extended warranty for the issue, I figured I'd get it just for that alone. I've only ever bought an extended warranty once, and didn't need it. Any repairs I've needed all fell under standard warranty periods. We'll see on this one.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements