Dealer Trust
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Dealer Trust

Dealer Trust

I have a issue with my 2018 EX-L where the sliding door periodically reverses while it is trying to close. I thought the recall would fix it but no. So we took it in for service. They basically said they couldn't repeat the error and lubricated the door. I looked it up on line and was able to find a Service Bulletin for this exact issue (19-028). I contacted the dealership and they said that they would not perform the service bulletin because they could not repeat the error. (and had a bit of an attitude about it)

So there is a know issue with my car (as evidence by the Service Bulletin). The dealership refuses to fix my car because they can't recreate the issue. Isn't this the entire point of going to a dealership and not a general mechanic. The dealership should have a deep knowledge of issues related my specific vehicle. If there is a problem so common that they have issued a Service Bulletin, shouldn't they have a desire to fix my car when I bring it in with these specific symptoms?

I wanted to see what others think about this. Am I expecting too much from the dealership??? I've opened a case with Honda. But shouldn't the dealership be on my side with this issue???

I'm looking for a mid-sized SUV. I'll probably be purchasing one next year. Since I love the way my Odyssey rides, I'm leaning toward a Pilot or Passport. But this dealership experience is pushing me toward the Highlander. (We traded in a Sienna for our Odyssey but we loved the service we got from Toyota.) I currently have a Civic so I'm familiar w/ Honda service. I would have rated it as good to above average. But now I don't feel like I can trust the dealership to even communicate known issues with my vehicle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The "We can't recreate the issue" line seems to be the general attitude of so many dealers. It's as though they are told my Honda Corp to use this as often as possible to reduce warranty claims. Continue to push Honda Corp to do something. And I believe you're right that there was a recall about the pinch sensor being faulty or something...perhaps someone can chime in on that.

Another tactic is to go back to the dealer and ask to have them re-examine the problem. After they give you the same bull****, raise your voice in front of all the waiting customers. Perhaps that's not your style, and that's all right, but it's worth a try.

It's so sad we have to beg for proper service these days. There are a lot of outstanding Honda dealers out there. Why are some allowed to treat you like dirt under their fingernails?
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

Chrisdoc,

Honda corporate has been training the dealers on a legal "easy out" as a means to minimize technical bulletin warranty service work request posted by customers. This is an effort to reduce the financial impact of technical service bulletins on the dealer service departments' profit. Warranty work isn't charged out at the same rate as someone coming in off of the street to have service work performed. The bottom line is, the dealership service departments do not make nearly the money on a new car warranty service claims as they do on non-warranty service work requests.

If you have any problems at all with your vehicle that cannot be repeated while under the dealer care, outside of your presence, you will need to be intrusive and inconvenient to the dealer service manager. You will have to force this person or his designee to be at your side for hours as you attempt to recreate the conditions in which the problem occurs...ANY PROBLEM. DO NOT, ever leave a vehicle with the service department when the problem you are experiencing is not pervasive enough that it can be interpreted as a, "we cannot recreate the issue". If you do leave your vehicle with the dealer in these instances, they will most likely waste your time and deny you the use of the vehicle and its convenience while they piddle diddle around and do other jobs that make them money.

It is your job as a Honda owner to bug the ever living crap out of Honda Corporate and the dealer service manager until you get any issues corrected. If you do not they will not take any initiative.

I came to this site to make my complaints public so that other owners and potential owners hear my experiences and learn from them as much as possible to reduce/eliminate the troubles caused by all the quality issues in Honda products these days.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdoc View Post
    I have a issue with my 2018 EX-L where the sliding door periodically reverses while it is trying to close. I thought the recall would fix it but no. So we took it in for service. They basically said they couldn't repeat the error and lubricated the door. I looked it up on line and was able to find a Service Bulletin for this exact issue (19-028). I contacted the dealership and they said that they would not perform the service bulletin because they could not repeat the error. (and had a bit of an attitude about it)

So there is a know issue with my car (as evidence by the Service Bulletin). The dealership refuses to fix my car because they can't recreate the issue. Isn't this the entire point of going to a dealership and not a general mechanic. The dealership should have a deep knowledge of issues related my specific vehicle. If there is a problem so common that they have issued a Service Bulletin, shouldn't they have a desire to fix my car when I bring it in with these specific symptoms?
    How about using your smart phone to take video of the problem? Then showing the video to your dealer to prove that the problem is happening. Worst case, if you have to take the dealer to small claims court you will have the video to prove that the problem is happening. Be sure to document the date that you show the video to the dealer in case you need that in small claims court. Maybe even make a voice recording using another smart phone in your pocket when you show the video to your dealer to prove that you did it. When doing the voice recording, mention the date and how many times you previously asked the dealer to repair the problem.
    Last edited by Raptor88; 05-13-2019 at 01:36 PM.

I heard back from Honda and they agreed with the dealer. Completely ridiculous!! This is obviously my last Honda. I just can't work with a dealership that knows my problem but won't fix it!

Rest assured chrisdoc, that attitude will come back to bite Honda Corp and your dealer in the proverbial backside. There are a lot of issues with the 5th generation and Honda is just burying their head in the sand.
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

Back when I had my 09 Accord, towards the end of Honda Care, the dealer refused to look at a problem with the driver's power window going up and down on it's own. I thought the switch was a problem as if was stuck and would reverse action. It happened more frequently in the morning during winter and I guess cold related.

Even showing video, they would not look at the problem unless I was able to reproduce the problem.

Murphy's law dictated that when I got there, the problem would not happen, until all of a sudden after the tech left saying they could not reproduce the problem, it actually happened. Yelled and forced him back to look at it and sure enough he saw the problem. And got fixed.

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements