Transmission acting up at speed.
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Transmission acting up at speed.

I have a 2018 EX-L 9spd. So I have had the transmission acting up at speed a few times. While cruising at 75 mph, I pressed on the gas to pass and change lanes. The van suddenly “stalled” or shuddered and I can see the RPM rev up and down. This happens for a couple of seconds and then back to normal. Scared the crap out of me when it happened. This happened twice about a month apart. Also, I was driving and changing lanes when all of a sudden the van beeped and hit the brakes, as if it detected something in front of the van. But there were no cars in front of me at that time. Luckily there were no cars behind me either. It slowed from about 70 mph to 65 mph real quick and then resumed normally. So it happen for maybe 1 second or 2.

Will take it to the dealer but since there are no codes ( I have a scan tool ) I doubt the dealer will do anything.

It’s sucks and I am seriously thinking of getting rid of the van. I don’t feel that it would be a good scenario if it happened while my wife is driving it. It would freak her out and possible cause a reaction or accident.

Wondering if others experienced this same thing.
    -Hangman

2018 Honda Odyssey EX-L : White Diamond Pearl
    2016 Corvette Stingray : Torch Red
    2015 Toyota Sienna : Silver Sky
    2011 Toyota Sienna XLE : Silver Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Sorry for your concerns. This is why Consumer Reports downgraded the Odyssey to below average.

I've hit the phantom braking too. It happened much more frequently when the van was new, now I only get braking every few months. (Actual braking, the red light flash beep "BRAKE" message is more frequent.)

I don't think that you will get any joy from talking to the dealer. This is how the system works. It sometimes gets false indications.

I have not hit the tranny problem you described in 30K miles in EX, 9-speed transmission.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    Also, I was driving and changing lanes when all of a sudden the van beeped and hit the brakes, as if it detected something in front of the van. But there were no cars in front of me at that time. Luckily there were no cars behind me either. It slowed from about 70 mph to 65 mph real quick and then resumed normally. So it happen for maybe 1 second or 2.
    I had this happen to me almost daily so I just turned off the collision mitigation completely. I almost got rear ended once and that was enough for me. The dealer says there is nothing they can do about the system not performing as advertised so I just turned it off. Not something I'm willing to risk the lives of my family over.

Yeah, will be getting rid of this van. We have 2 Toyota Sienna vans. A 2011 with 125,000 miles and a 2015 with 63,000 miles. Both of those have been flawless without a single issue. I was going to buy another Sienna but thought I’d give Honda a try and boy was this a big mistake. Regret getting the Ody over the Sienna. We have owned 2 Honda vehicles in the past. A 2002 Acura TL Type-S and a 2004 Honda Odyssey EX. Both of those vehicles were had horrible issue. The Acura has the infamous transmission that would blow up at highway speeds due to the self destructing third gear that didn’t receive enough oil. And the ‘04 Ody had failures with the Power Steering (Replaced 3 times), the brakes, the SRS, and the transmission had issues. After those two I said I would never buy another Honda again. Boy I am kicking myself for not listening to my own advice.
    -Hangman

2018 Honda Odyssey EX-L : White Diamond Pearl
    2016 Corvette Stingray : Torch Red
    2015 Toyota Sienna : Silver Sky
    2011 Toyota Sienna XLE : Silver Sky

You have the ZF HP9 transmission. At US highway speeds it usually settles into 8th gear and will drop to 7th when some acceleration is called for. The 8-7 gear change is one that involves the dog clutches rather than the friction clutches on this transmission. So it takes longer to make the gear change and has a different feel to it than most other shifts in this and other automatic transmissions. Rather than simultaneously coming out of 8th and into 7th, it has to shift from 8th to neutral, rpm match the engine and transmission, and then engage 7th. So there is normally some time in neutral, but normal is maybe 500 milliseconds? It kind of feels like downshifting a manual transmission, because that is effectively what it is doing.

Do do you really think it was multiple seconds, or could it perhaps have been a shorter period of time that felt like a longer period of time because of the situation? Regardless, if you had time to notice, look down, and see the tachometer fluctuating, it was definitely too long. It actually sounds like a highway speed variation of the complaint that the car doesn’t respond to throttle in eco mode, then takes off after a delay.

9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements