Changing wheels on the 2018+ Odyssey - Types of Jacks
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing wheels on the 2018+ Odyssey - Types of Jacks

Hi All,

I'm trying to change my tires on my car. I noticed the jack points on the Odyssey is like an L-shape plate (see photos attached). If I use flat head floor jack (see photo attached), would that bend the plate? Or should I use the stock scissor jack with the groove as provided by Honda for changing the spare tire.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Changing wheels on the 2018+ Odyssey - Types of Jacks-img_4732.jpg   Changing wheels on the 2018+ Odyssey - Types of Jacks-img_4733.jpg   Changing wheels on the 2018+ Odyssey - Types of Jacks-img_4734.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I’d get a pinch weld adapter. I got one for about $10 on Amazon and it worked great on my 2017. However, I lost the damn thing since the last time I used it. So, I cut a piece of 2X4 to fit on my floor jack. I also cut a groove against the grain down to the depth my pinch weld adapter had. It worked pretty well. Hockey pucks cut in the same fashion work well too from what I’ve read.

The jack you have is fine, it’s what I use on mine. And no, you’re not going to bend anything.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

If you look how the scissors jack interacts with the jack points you can see that the leg of the "L-shaped" plate contacts the bottom part of the U of the scissors jack and no part of the flat portion of the scissor jack contacts the vehicle. That reinforced area (L-shaped part) is very strong. Remember to chock the wheels that aren't being lifted. I have read in a number of places that one shouldn't leave a vehicle on a scissors or floor jack but to use jack stands--if that is the case, there is another part of the van that can be lifted up with a floor jack and then one can put a jack stand under the jack point(s).

Jack you have works fine, I have being using a similar one for the 2018. No issues at all. Turn the disk on the jack to align so it fits like you are in attached image in any of the deeper parts on the disk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by digitalextremes; 05-16-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the response. Can you please let me know where the jack points are to lift the front and rear of the van to put the jack stands?

Quote Originally Posted by vango5 View Post
    If you look how the scissors jack interacts with the jack points you can see that the leg of the "L-shaped" plate contacts the bottom part of the U of the scissors jack and no part of the flat portion of the scissor jack contacts the vehicle. That reinforced area (L-shaped part) is very strong. Remember to chock the wheels that aren't being lifted. I have read in a number of places that one shouldn't leave a vehicle on a scissors or floor jack but to use jack stands--if that is the case, there is another part of the van that can be lifted up with a floor jack and then one can put a jack stand under the jack point(s).

There ought to be two jack points in the center-front and rear, which will allow you to get an entire axle off the ground (and use jack stands). It would be a real bummer if Honda decided to do away with those in the Gen5's...

I always cursed GM for not providing reasonable jack points, at least on the models I've worked on.

Thank you everyone for the response. This has been very helpful!!!

I see the 4 side jack points under our 2019 EX. But when I work under cars, I always put jack stands.

1. Exactly where is the center jack point at the front so I can jack up with my floor jack and then put jack stands under both front side lift points?

2. Same question for the back.

I own a 2.5 ton floor jack and use it for removing my wheels for brake inspections. Floor jacks are reasonably priced and provide a much bigger footprint than the little scissor jack supplied.

DidgitalExtremes is correct about lifting with the disk applied directly to the I-shaped lift point. It works fine. The odd time you may hear a slight snap sound during the initial lift. That's just the round disk seating against the I-shaped lift point. I don't use jack stands, but I also never go under my Odyssey. If you must crawl under, by all means use jack stands!

I also keep my floor jack clean so I tell if the seals are leaking.
    Last edited by Hodna; Yesterday at 07:55 AM.
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

The center jack point is the large beam under the radiator. If I remember correctly, it has a bump on it for this purpose. The rear central jack point is really far under the vehicle, near the suspension attachment points. Once again, there is a bump for jacking. I can take pictures if needed, but it would be later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit400 View Post
    The center jack point is the large beam under the radiator. If I remember correctly, it has a bump on it for this purpose. The rear central jack point is really far under the vehicle, near the suspension attachment points. Once again, there is a bump for jacking. I can take pictures if needed, but it would be later tonight.
    Pictures will be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid to jack up a center point in the wrong location and damage our Ody. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bandit400 View Post
    I would appreciate pictures also.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor88 View Post
    Pictures will be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid to jack up a center point in the wrong location and damage our Ody. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjones View Post
    I would appreciate pictures also.

In the vedio in #6post, 1:00 and 3:00 shows the jack point (centre).

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast