Are you able to remove your 2nd row seats?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Are you able to remove your 2nd row seats?

Are you able to remove your 2nd row seats?

Bought a 2019 EX with the magic slide 2nd row seats. Having a very hard time removing the 2nd row outer seats. Have not been able to do it yet, because it's very difficult to do and I'm afraid I might pull my back.

Are you able to remove your 2nd row outer seat? (Without pulling your back )
    If so, any tricks?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

2 people and either an old towel or old rug so you don't scratch the cheapo plastic

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Move front row all the way up,Rock it forward push towards the inside lie on mat or similar, pull mat to edge, roll over edge atop mat to ground use hand truck or cart to move

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I call the kids (40 something) to come take them out, printed Novalight's tips just in case.

Related topic, have you tried checking the air pressure in your spare with all 3 seats still in the second row? Fun.

My 2002 middle row seats were heavy enough at around 50 pounds. These are about 72 pounds. My 2002 seats were just as nice to sit in. What dumb ass at Honda decided to throw an extra 22 pounds on and why????

Chapter 2: Storing Your Seats. That same dumb ass decided that the seat backs should only fold half way down!!! So, if you need to store them for any length of time, the seat backs either remain all the way up or half way down. By the way, when the seat backs are in the 45 degree position, the seats don't lock in the sliders. So, picking them up is another adventure in pain. My 2002 seats folded all the way down, the sliders always locked, and you could store them as a stack. My 2002 was designed by the Japanese.

Once again, since the Americans took over Honda, it has gone all to hell. If Japan was still designing things, they would have used the Stow and Go concept that Chrysler has successfully used for the past 30 years and improved on it even further. That's how Japan beat everything "American made." They used to analysis the product, and then improve its design.

Once again don't get me wrong - there are some damn fine products that come out of the U.S. Honda cars just aren't one of them!
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

I expect the heavier seats are a result of improved crash safety requirements. Stronger seats keep the occupants in place, which allows the seatbelts and airbags to do their job. I had a 2008 Odyssey and I don’t think the seats weighed much if anything less than 70lbs. You can’t blame the Americans for everything.

That lack of folding seat backs is thanks to your fellow Odyssey owners. It would appear most of them stuff it full of car seats but don’t really haul cargo. They tell this to Honda’s product managers, who then add more kid friendly features (magic slide) but make it worse for cargo (lack of flat floor, lack of folding seat backs).

Hodna, I'm new here and have been exploring and looking around at the various topics and posts. I seem to find you posting a lot. It seems that rather than contribute or add that all you do is criticize and slam both the 2018 Odyssey and Honda in general. My gosh, if it is that bad please sell or trade your Odyssey in for a Chrysler and move on. I'm here to learn and hopefully be able to contribute from time to time. If I have a horrible experience with my new 19 Odyssey I will get rid of it and find something that I don't hate or complain about. Life it too short! I wish you the best and hope you find some sort of peace and resolution......

Quote Originally Posted by Novalight View Post
    Move front row all the way up,Rock it forward push towards the inside lie on mat or similar, pull mat to edge, roll over edge atop mat to ground use hand truck or cart to move
    Hi Novalight,

Thanks for your two suggestions (2 people and this one). I can't picture what you are describing above. Could you please explain it in a bit more detail for a dummy like me?

I also use a 3/8 inch rope and make a loop to hook it into the small metal rod at the base of the seat. The rope hoop acts as a "handle" of sorts. Plus, you can keep your back straighter when lifting, depending on how long you make the loop.
    2018 Odyssey EX, that still has a rattly transmission. Honda says I can't have a compass, and to stop being so cheap and buy a cell phone with a data plan!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hodna View Post
    My 2002 middle row seats were heavy enough at around 50 pounds. These are about 72 pounds.
    Yes, the 70+ lbs per 2nd row seat is a major part of my not being able to remove them so far.

Chapter 2: Storing Your Seats. That same dumb ass decided that the seat backs should only fold half way down!!! So, if you need to store them for any length of time, the seat backs either remain all the way up or half way down. By the way, when the seat backs are in the 45 degree position, the seats don't lock in the sliders. So, picking them up is another adventure in pain.
    Again yes. The 2nd row seat back not locking in the 45 degree position is another big reason I'm having a hard time removing them.

Quote Originally Posted by spkrmakr View Post
    Hodna, I'm new here and have been exploring and looking around at the various topics and posts. I seem to find you posting a lot. It seems that rather than contribute or add that all you do is criticize and slam both the 2018 Odyssey and Honda in general. My gosh, if it is that bad please sell or trade your Odyssey in for a Chrysler and move on. I'm here to learn and hopefully be able to contribute from time to time. If I have a horrible experience with my new 19 Odyssey I will get rid of it and find something that I don't hate or complain about. Life it too short! I wish you the best and hope you find some sort of peace and resolution......
    Contrarian opinions can be the most useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor88 View Post
    Bought a 2019 EX with the magic slide 2nd row seats. Having a very hard time removing the 2nd row outer seats. Have not been able to do it yet, because it's very difficult to do and I'm afraid I might pull my back.

Are you able to remove your 2nd row outer seat? (Without pulling your back )
    If so, any tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by vinit1102 View Post
    Removing the 2nd row center seat is not a problem for me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post
    I expect the heavier seats are a result of improved crash safety requirements. Stronger seats keep the occupants in place, which allows the seatbelts and airbags to do their job. I had a 2008 Odyssey and I don’t think the seats weighed much if anything less than 70lbs. You can’t blame the Americans for everything.

That lack of folding seat backs is thanks to your fellow Odyssey owners. It would appear most of them stuff it full of car seats but don’t really haul cargo. They tell this to Honda’s product managers, who then add more kid friendly features (magic slide) but make it worse for cargo (lack of flat floor, lack of folding seat backs).
    I agree with Shadow5501 - I believe the weight of the second row seats is a deliberate safety design. I prefer them heavy and unwieldy because I want my second row seats to be as safe as they can possibly be for my precious cargo (my children & passengers). I couldn't care less that they don't stow or how much they weigh - they could weigh a hundred pounds for all I care because they aren't going to be removed.

I embrace the weight and sturdy build of my second row seats because my Odyssey was purchased to be a safe (and comfortable) people mover. Chrysler can have their stow and go (flimsy & uncomfortable) second row seats. For the once in a blue moon dry wall run, (or filthy junk haul, etc.), I drop a $20 bill at Lowes and trash their rental pick ups without worrying about cleanup, scratching interior pieces, etc.
    Last edited by miller.2920; Today at 11:19 AM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements