honda zone rep comes through
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: honda zone rep comes through

Thumbs up honda zone rep comes through

Here's a good story about Honda.

My sister bought an Odyssey about 8 months ago. Her OEM Symmetry's were wearing down at a ridiculous rate. She caled Michelin, but they wanteed nothing to do with her.

She then called her dealer who got the zone rep involved. Supposedly, the OEM Symmetry's are supposed to be good for 30.000 miles. Her's were already more than 1/2 gone and she only had 7800 miles on the car. Tire pressure and alignment were good.

The Honda rep agreed that the wear was too quick. He had the dealer install new (non OEM) Symmetrys on my sister's van.

No cost to my sister.

Not everyone has a bad experiemce with Honda's Zone reps.
    Howard Bernstein
    2002 EX Redrock Pearl, mud guards .

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Re: honda zone rep comes through

Originally posted by hian

The Honda rep agreed that the wear was too quick. He had the dealer install new (non OEM) Symmetrys on my sister's van.

No cost to my sister.

What do you mean by new non OEM Symmetrys? Isn't it still the same tire?

hian,

Thanks for relaying the good experience with dealing with a Honda zone rep. Hopefully this will be an indication that Honda, in general, is shifting back to its previous reputation of superior customer service.

RockALP

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

OEM tires good for only 30K miles! I'll be shocked if that's all we get from our 2002's, currently at 22K
    2013 Smoky Topaz Odyssey Touring
    2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T to replace the Integra
    2002 MB EXL-RES(sold at 137k miles)
    1994 Acura Integra GSR(sold in 2009 with 195k, stolen from new owner after only 7 months!)

oem vs. non oem

It is my understanding that the symmetrys that are installed at the factory are actually different than the ones you can by at a tire store.

I'm not sure of the exact differences, but I get the impression that the OEM tires are inferior to the retail ones.

I'm sure some expert on our forum will chime in with the details.
    Howard Bernstein
    2002 EX Redrock Pearl, mud guards .

Hmmm... Michelin not providing good customer service. That's not good considering the fact that the tires are only 8 months old with 7,800 miles on it. Should we assume that they have no confidence with their tires? What gives with that customer rep? Your sis should have called again and talk to another customer rep. Maybe should would have gotten a better response, but hey that's the past now. Enjoy them new NON-OEM Symmetrys. Glad it all worked out for her benefit.

I've always had extremely good luck with Honda and their zone reps. Most of that is due to my having a superb relationship with my dealer's service department; in fact, I haven't had to deal with a Honda zone rep in years.

But one time back in 1988 or so I did, and it was great. I still tell the story.

hian,

OEM Symmetrys for Ody's are 225/60R16 98T (MSPN 85237). My research shows that Michelin only makes three other NON OEM tires in this size but all three are only rated 97S: P225/60R16 97S (MSPN 43798, 95337, 98499) If the dealer gave your sister NON OEM Symmetrys, the new tires just dropped the load range from 98 (1653 lbs @ 35psi) to 97 (1609 lbs @ 35psi) and dropped the speed rating from T (118mph) to S (112mph). Also, OEM treadwear vs NON OEM could also be different, UTOG 460 vs. 560, or vice versa.

You might want to verify this with your sister. Just check the sidewall information. If you are satisfied with the new tires, remember to keep the new limitations in mind when loading your vehicle and when driving at high speeds.

RockALP

In my extensive research on Bridgestone Turanza's for my ody I discovered on the Fireston/Bridgestone site that they make a handful of different models for OEM that you can't get through the normal channels.

My factory Firestone FR-680's H-rated on the '92 Camry wore out in less than 30K miles and rode like crap and had traction even worse yet people swear by the retail version of the FR-680 which at the time you couldn't get in H rating or the load rating in a retail store.

Since I've enjoyed my Turanza's so much since 2800 miles on the Ody I'll probably do a tire swap on all my future cars. I finally decided it's not worth "waiting" the 30K miles for tires I hate to finally wear out.

I do have to say that my new '94 Celica GT (since sold) came with normal retail versions of Michelin's MXV4 or something and had 40K on them when I sold it.

Re: oem vs. non oem

Originally posted by hian
    It is my understanding that the symmetrys that are installed at the factory are actually different than the ones you can by at a tire store.

I'm not sure of the exact differences, but I get the impression that the OEM tires are inferior to the retail ones.

I'm sure some expert on our forum will chime in with the details.
    That's right. The tires that comes with new cars are usually different from those sold in retail market. The tires comes with new car tend to be cheaper and more fuel efficient. One way to gain market share is for tire manufacturers to sell the original tire to auto maker at or below costs. They will subsequently recover the cost when customer replaces the tires, which will most likely be the same brand as the new car tires.
    Last edited by EasyAl; 05-26-2003 at 08:17 PM.

Re: Re: oem vs. non oem

Originally posted by EasyAl
    That's right. The tires that comes with new cars are usually different from those sold in retail market. The tires comes with new car tend to be cheaper and more fuel efficient. One way to gain market share is for tire manufacturers to sell the original tire to auto maker at or below costs. They will subsequently recover the cost when customer replaces the tires, which will most likely be the same brand as the new car tires.
    I did not know this. Thanks for the info. But what happens when you have to buy new Symmetry's and they don't have the same load/speed rating? I don't see the speed rating being a problem since I don't see myself going over 112 MPH but the load rating might be a concern. Then again, I think the lower the load rating # ( 97 as opposed to 98), the softer the ride because of the softer sidewall.
    Last edited by sizzlemp; 05-26-2003 at 10:09 PM.

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements