Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Pull to the left.

7K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Wayne Lim 
#1 ·
We have a new 2003 Ody EXL no dvd or nav.
The van pulls to the left at higher speeds (over 45 MPH)
before I take it in for service I wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with this problem recently with a 2003 ody. I checked other post with similar problems although not with the 2003.

#2 ·
Yup, mine has pulled to the left since new. Dealer says alignment is good, deal with it. Takes about 30 seconds to change lanes against the road crown.

This weekend I balanced and rotated the tires. Tire store (NTB)said radial tires sometimes have a pull to one side by nature. They found my wife's Ody tires were a bit out of balance, but had no abnormal tread wear. Recommended that I try it now and come back if it still happened. Then he would pull one of the front tires and remount it backwards on the rim (only try if the tires are not directional and are still relatively new - mine have 12,000 miles, but look new).

Seems like its worth a try. Haven't been on the highway yet (Chicago expressways are too trashed to tell, need to get out of town)

#3 ·
niroconln-

I don't doubt your judgement, but do consider the level of the road wherever you may be driving..

Here in Upstate NY, I have had several complaints about vehicles "drifting" left when consumers were driving on I-87 north/south (I'm directing this towards the locals)...

Yet, the vehicle doesn't exhibit the same behavior when traveling east/west on I-90..

Why is this?...maybe someone locally can answer this...

#4 ·
Two factors can produce a fairly consistant pull in a perfectly functioning car.

1. Road crown. Roads are usually sloped away from the center line of the road to facilitate drainage. (This is generally true in straight sections, anyway.)

2. Prevailing winds. Winds are more consistant than most folks realize. For any area there is a prevailing wind direction. The Ody has a pretty good sail area so wind can produce a pretty good pull.

So to see if you really have a problem, find a several mile long stretch of straight, smooth interstate. In the first direction (say east) see if there is ay pull in the right lane, then the left lane. If there is no wind and it pulls lightly right in the R lane and L in the L lane, you're probably pretty good for alignment. To be sure turn around and go west on the same stretch, same day. Repeat test. If you always pull the same direction, odds are you've got a problem.

#5 ·
Our 03 Ody also experiences a slight pull to the left since we purchased it. I have taken it to the back to the dealer twice and the last trip did confirm the front end out of alignment. The service tech showed me a page with six color coded alignment graphs and at least three were out of alignment--the dealer (supposedly) corrected the alignment. My wife and I are not convinced the repairs were ever done. We plan to take the car back to the dealer soon and take the serivce tech for a ride to verify our observations. However your points regarding out of balance tires is something to look into.

#6 ·
I had the same problem. New tires and 2 alignments(under warranty) didn't fix the problem. The dealer then replaced the camber bolts. This helped the pulling problem quite a bit. It still pulls to the left occasionally, but I believe it to be due to torque steer more than anything else.

#7 ·
I have a close friend who owns a Good Year shop here in town. After a lot of research on boards like this, talking to tire reps, and experimentation with the van, we've arrived a a few theories (right or wrong):

(1) The same suspension geometry that makes this van drive like a tall Accord rather than a lumbering van is likely to blame for some of the wandering people (like me) notice. My aligned and balanced Civic exhibits some of the same tendencies, only to a much smaller degree. If you're used to a rock-solid on center feel from other vehicles, this one is going to bug you a bit.

(2) If ANYTHING is amiss with the tires or the suspension, the van will let you know immediately. Tires that are out of balance or out of round and wheels with flat spots tend to produce vibrations ranging from mysterious to thunderous. Take advantage of any lifetime balance deals you might have and make sure to have the tires done on a balancer capable of checking road-force. 14 lbs of road force tends to be about the limit of acceptable for most vehicles (lower number is better), but it seems to take a reading of 9 or lower to keep the Ody from tattling on the tire.

(3) The front suspension sub-frame assembly is prone to shift. If this is your problem, it will be painfully obvious. Wandering is the least of the issues with a sub-frame problem. When you hit the gas, you will encouter what feels like torque steer that will want to throw your Ody off into the nearest ditch. If the van wanders consistently to one side and the alignment/balance is otherwise okay, then ask your local Honda dealer to pull the TSB on the sub-frame issue and check your van.

(4) The stubby little rear shocks on the van are asked to support a temendous amount of dynamic load. As a result, they tend to live a shorter life than one would expect from normal shocks. The Ody seems to have springs stout enough to support a dump truck, so these will tend to mask an outright shock failure (as happened in mine). However, if these fail, you will likely notice some oddities with the van's handling. If you find one of the shocks leaking, replace it and (preferably) it's mate. It will eat the rear tires in a hurry if you do not. Be warned, however, that the Honda replacements cost about $100 a piece and nobody but Gabriel (AutoZone) seems to make an aftermarket version. The Gabriels are lifetime, but I would suspect that their lifespan would be way shorter than the OEM shocks.

Wow -- that was a lot of spewing. I hope this helps somebody out there. The wife and I love our Ody, thought we are starting to realize that we can expect the same level of durability out of it as we have our past Honda cars. Given that this was Honda's first poke at a really large, heavy vehicle, I still consider it a great van.

#8 ·
Jonlent, I think you nailed it! I particularly agree with your comment regarding the subframe positioning causing severe torque steer. I strongly suspect that was the root of the problem with my 02, but Honda could never quite figure it out. What did you do to come to this conclusion?

#9 ·
Outstanding info !!!!
I will be taking my Ody in for service this weekend and of course the "pull to the left" is #1 on my short list. (first oil change, bug deflector install, and those cool little mud gaurds installed also)
My Van only has 3000 miles on it and I purchased it from a dealer rated #1 in service in the entire San Fransisco Bay Area ! I will be taking the previous post with me,, and will give an update to all on Saturday PM.

#11 ·
I had a pull as well about 2 months ago. I can't remember whether it was to the left or right. Anyway, I brought it to the dealer and initially the tech said could not duplicate when I called the service guy to check on it. I said have the tech drive it to at leat 60 MPH. They rotated some tires and did a 4-wheel alignment. No pull since then.

#12 ·
Still pulls left

Took my 2003 ody in today, they did just what everyone said, - checked tire pressure, - then rotated tires, gave me the van back and said all is ok.. NO still pulls left. I will be taking the van back in tomorrow in the AM Should I just get right to the point and have them put in those adjustble camber bolts ? I believe tomorrow they will go through the alignment procedures etc and I will still have "left pull" problems.. Help ! I want this fixed without all the return trips to honda service !

#13 ·
I think they should do the sub-frame shift before they try the camber bolts. The camber bolts would allow them to use camber to compensate for some other problem, as they tried to do with mine for a pull to the right. To know for sure what is going on, I would have to see the alignment numbers. Any way you can post them?

#14 ·
Any Honda quality-control person knows what ALL the problems are with EVERY vehicle they make. You will never have any of them admit to the problems...but you can be very assured they will fix the problem sooner or later on newer vehicles.

I'm not going to admit to the inherent problems of every contact lens I sell,......... that is FOR SURE. You mention the slightest problem to a consumer and they will have the problem crop up.....that is for sure. Psychology is a strange thing in the hands of a consumer :cool:

#15 ·
My 01 pulls left a little. It was much worse before taling to a local tire shop. The 2 previous attempts by honda was fruitless. I may take it bake to them with the knowledge of the TSB.
Thanks for all the info!!!

#16 ·
when you are checking tires, you should check them for a conical shape as well. In other words, one side of the tread can have a smaller diameter than the other. This can be caused by either wear or mounting, and cause pulling complaints.

The post'rs that fixed their problems by remounting the tires backwards probably had this condition.

#17 ·
Well !! I got my ody back and... it seems that the "pull to left" problem was a subframe adjustment, they also performed a 4 wheel alignment. The tech said he made 2 test drives. I picked up the car after hours so I do not have the alignment #s.
So far I have tested the car for about 20 miles on the freeway. The pull seems to be gone !! Although today I will be leaving on a 1500 mile road trip with my Ody and will be driving on miles of good flat testing road. By the way the tech knew all about those adjustable camber bolts and stated that he had them in stock and if needed he would install them.. no problem !
I would like to say that I'm very happy with my new Ody, the van accelerates and handles like a sports car, the Ody is also an excellent value.
But for myself the best part of my decesion to purchase an Ody was that I bought the van from a honda dealership In Oakland Ca, Not only did they have the best price but they have won the Prestigious Honda Service Presidents award 3 years in a row. (I purchased the car online from the fleet manager, the whole deal took about 30 min including finacing).
The service group is unreal !! all of them are friendly, professional and display a sincere willingness to go out of their way for the customer, not just with myself but with everyone that walked in to the place.
Because I had to come back twice to get them to fix this problem on my second visit they had me meet with the sevice tech manager and and he kindly stated that he would fix this problem no matter what and was embarassed that I had to come back twice. I will be taking my Ody to Oakland Honda for every little oil change, tire rotation, etc.. the price is reasonble and the Service is Unheralded !!!! (I live 30 miles from the Oakland dealership, another Honda dealership is closer, Dublin Honda. I had the worst test drive, buying experience of my life at Dublin Honda)

I will update my test results for the "pull to the left" during our road trip.

#18 ·
Pull to the left

I have a 2002 EX-L - it has pulled the the left from day I drove off the lot. As to why the darn van does it I've heard:
-- The chains that are used to secure the vans to the transport pull the frame out of alignment when the ODYs are transported to dealership via the trucks.
-- The radial tires are not made well and when you buy a new set of tires, the problem will go away.
-- Bad engineering. The dealer has installed camber bolts (I think that's what they're called) on my ODY to try to correct the problem. But the problem is still there (left pull) and now it pulls to the right as well on right crowned roads. While ago, Honda did come out with a technical bulletin on this problem. Gotta say that I've learned to live with it, but it still annoys and makes me angry when I do think about it. The dealership gives me the stupid I don't know what you're talking about look when I went back the first couple of times. The alignment just is not right with the ODY and I simply can't understand why.

I've emailed consumer reports and edmunds and suggested they look into the problem as well.

pgb

#19 · (Edited)
" it seems that the "pull to left" problem was a subframe adjustment, they also performed a 4 wheel alignment. "

That's very good news.
Please do try to get the alignment print out. Try to get them to mail it to you, fax it, or hold it for you to pick up. You really do want to be assured that the alignment is within specification after the subframe shift. Hopefully, the vehicle has not been aligned out of specification to deal with the problem.
I am not a car expert but I wonder what does cause the pull to the left or right if alignment is in specification. Maybe it is the little additive effect of each difference between ideal and a setting that is a little off from ideal but within tolerances. Maybe it could be something not measured in usual alignment such as kingpin angle, setback, scrub radius or included angle that is not the same on both sides. Or could the body be not straight.

#20 ·
#21 · (Edited)
This is the only info I have found about SB 00079
http://www.odyclub.com/tech/tsbh00.htm

Service Bulletin Number: 00079
Bulletin Sequence Number: 188
Date of Bulletin: 0010
NHTSA Item Number: SB618911
Make: HONDA TRUCK
Model: ODYSSEY
Year: 2000
Component: ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM
Summary: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT COOLANT SEEPAGE FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE WATER PASSAGE NEAR THE EGR VALVE. *TT

There are very brief summaries of SB's similar to what you might find on Edmunds or NHTSA. Unfortunately, the entire SB is not available unless you have some special ability to get into a private Honda site.
With most makes, you could buy Alldata access and get service bulletins in their entirety. Unfortunately, you cannot with Honda.
It just is not allowed by Honda for some reason.
Here is what you get at Alldata if you try to get the SB.

"IMPORTANT NOTICE

The American Honda Motor Company, Inc. has requested ALLDATA restrict access to Acura and Honda repair information by individual consumers. You will unfortunately not be able to register for access to Acura or Honda vehicle repair information, technical service bulletins or recalls.

We kindly request that all comments should be directed to:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
P. O. Box 2206
700 Van Ness Ave.
Torrance, CA 90501

Honda: 800-999-1009
Acura: 800-382-2238

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you."

Tried NHTSA. Very little available for free about sb 00079. You might get something with a paid search. By the way, the Honda SB number and the NHTSA sb number are different.

NHTSA search costs: "We charge a standard labor charge of $38.73 per hour for requests involving computer searches, locating and copying documents. In addition, we charge duplication fees, which are $0.10 per page for paper-based or imaged documents. Some files are only available on microfiche; which means you will receive the equivalent number of microfiche sheets. The charge for a sheet of microfiche is $0.15. Please see TIS's Fees And Copying Services section for average fees for a request. "

There are also some posted at:
http://www.pennybaker.com/ody/sb/index.htm
but not SB00079.

Long ago, some on this forum tried to scan and post SB's.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6667&highlight=post+service+bulletin
I have not found the result of that effort. Maybe everyone got too busy.
Or maybe another call to

Tim Poliniak
Internet Parts Manager, Ray Laks Honda/Acura
www.hondacuraworld.com
1-888-RAY-LAKS

to get the SB's would be in order to restart the effort.

Good Luck.

#22 ·
Check the alignment specs to make sure they did not go out of tolerance to get rid of the pull. A Honda Field Engineer tried that trick on me and I caught him. It cost Honda a replacement vehicle.

The cone-shaped tire scenario is worth exploring, but it is usually very easy to diagnose with a simple cross-rotation of the front tires. It's one of the very first things a competent alignment tech will do.

#23 ·
We made the first half of our 1500 mile trip. I feel that van still has a very slight pull left. Although it is very hard to tell if the drift is caused by the road. At least now I can get it to drift right too,, but it sure seems that the overall tendancy is to go very, very slowly left.
I promise to do all I can to get those alignment specs.
By the way .. what a smooth, comfortable ride, at one point we set the cruise control at 87 mph and went for over 2 hours the ride felt like we were riding on air !!!

G
#24 ·
niroconln said:
By the way .. what a smooth, comfortable ride, at one point we set the cruise control at 87 mph and went for over 2 hours the ride felt like we were riding on air !!!
That seems to be the sweet spot for the Ody. The engine is turning fast enough to basically never need to drop out of lock-up mode, but it's not going so fast that you feel like lift or crosswinds are going to be hard to deal with. From there, a firm throttle gets you a shift into 4th which puts you right into the fat portion of the power curve.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.