RPM's not shifting from 2K upwards
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: RPM's not shifting from 2K upwards

RPM's not shifting from 2K upwards

Hi,

I've 03 EX with 7500 miles on it (just 4 months old). I've observed since last 1 month that when I'm on highway around 70mph at that time my RPM remains at 2K. I have to push it bit hard to move it upwards when I want to move from 70 to 80 speed but once again it drops back to 2 to 2.5K although I'm at 80 mph. Is this okay or I need to get this thing checked with dealer. I hope I'm not having any tranny issues. My vehicle vin is outside tranny issue, but still not sure.
    Regards

MJ
    -------------------------------------
    2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon.
    Hyundai Elantra SE 08 - Quicksilver

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Sounds normal. The first increase in RPM you will see is due to the torque converter unlocking. Then if you push it hard enough, you'll see a downshift to fourth gear. Once you are at your new speed, the torque converter will lock again. The thing to remember is that 5th gear is very tall, resulting in low RPMs and good gas mileage.

Wayne Lim
    Originally posted by hop23
    Sounds normal. The first increase in RPM you will see is due to the torque converter unlocking. Then if you push it hard enough, you'll see a downshift to fourth gear. Once you are at your new speed, the torque converter will lock again. The thing to remember is that 5th gear is very tall, resulting in low RPMs and good gas mileage.
    To add to hop23, fifth gear with the torque converter locked up is about 36.5 MPH/1000 RPMs, and once the converter is locked up and at decent engine speed, 2000 RPMs or above, it takes quite a bit of throttle to get it to unlock.

Wayne

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements