Blind Spot - Front Windshield NOT Mirrors
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Blind Spot - Front Windshield NOT Mirrors

Blind Spot - Front Windshield NOT Mirrors

I have been driving an 04 Sienna for 2 years and a blind spot caused by the front windshield A-pillar obscured my view of an oncoming car on a cross street, the Sienna was totaled. These front windshield A-pillars a quite wide and after test driving the Odyssey numerous times, I cannot tell if they are less or more obstructing than the Sienna.

Here is a story on the problem:
    http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-...348&EL=2577499

Has anyone experienced any mishaps or near misses in their 05-06 Odyssey because of the front windshield A-pillars? Please note, this is NOT the blind spot BEHIND the driver's shoulders that mirrors can aid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Re: Blind Spot - Front Windshield NOT Mirrors

Originally posted by cyeung65
    I have been driving an 04 Sienna for 2 years and a blind spot caused by the front windshield A-pillar obscured my view of an oncoming car on a cross street, the Sienna was totaled. These front windshield A-pillars a quite wide and after test driving the Odyssey numerous times, I cannot tell if they are less or more obstructing than the Sienna.

Here is a story on the problem:
    http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-...348&EL=2577499

Has anyone experienced any mishaps or near misses in their 05-06 Odyssey because of the front windshield A-pillars? Please note, this is NOT the blind spot BEHIND the driver's shoulders that mirrors can aid.
    While we haven't had any near misses or accidents, the Ody A-pillars definitely seem larger than the ones on our previous vehicle (a 1995 Mercury Villager). To my observation, this does seem to be true of many newer vehicles and I find that I have to move my head around more to try to make sure that I see enough.....
    '05 Slate/Olive Touring R/N with hitch package

'07 Civic Ex 5 speed

1995 Accord EX

I've had two near misses with my '95 EX. I'm just not used to the long dash with the windsheild rake so shallow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

DrD
    Not to be mean or anything, but the very first thing you should do when you get a new (to you) vehicle is figure out what it's limitations are (as they pertain to how you are going to use it) and what you need to do to compensate for any such weaknesses, such as poor visibility - it really shouldn't be much of a shocker that visibility is less than stellar out of a minivan or other vehicle with wide pillars, small or darkly tinted rear windows, etc. - it's your responsibility to make sure you see what you need to see, and if that means you have to move your head a bit, then so be it - it comes with the territory and is part of being a responsible driver.

it really shouldn't be much of a shocker that visibility is less than stellar out of a minivan or other vehicle with wide pillars
    It even could be a deal breaker if visibility is worse in one particular vehicle and the buyer discovers this before buying. Odyssey's visibiliity is not so good at the A pilars and to both rear corners.

Thats why we opted for the Honda Pilot and not the Chrysler Pacifica -- the view out the rear was terrible -- like seeing thru a tunnel !

9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements