Whose timing belt has actually broken? When?
  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

Thread: Whose timing belt has actually broken? When?

Whose timing belt has actually broken? When?

Lots of folks, myself included, stick with the factory service schedule, at least most of the time. How many people have suffered a broken timing belt because they ignored the recommendations?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Must be a thousand threads on this already.

I've been on this board for a long time - original 2001 Ody and have several others now. There are virtually no broken timing belts reported. I went to 192K on my first van before the change - no issues and looked fine when changed. Would try to follow the change schedule relatively closely, but it is not that critical.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I'm also curious. We have all heard of the consequences. But how many have really failed? Or. How long has one actually driven and had a
    timing belt fail? (ie. First hand experience).

Quote Originally Posted by cahaak View Post
    I've been on this board for a long time - original 2001 Ody and have several others now. There are virtually no broken timing belts reported. I went to 192K on my first van before the change - no issues and looked fine when changed. Would try to follow the change schedule relatively closely, but it is not that critical.
    Quote Originally Posted by lozawa View Post
    I'm also curious. We have all heard of the consequences. But how many have really failed? Or. How long has one actually driven and had a
    timing belt fail? (ie. First hand experience).
    Exactly. There are lots of threads mostly talking about what will happen *if* the thing breaks, but little about did happen when one *did* break. There's also COS to contend (Complainers Only Syndrome). If 99% Ody owners never have a problem we'll never know based on the reports of those who do.

The tensioners and idlers usually fail and take out the belt. I have seen a couple of broken timing belt threads here on the forum over the last couple weeks.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

I will say that two weeks ago at 191k miles our 07 Odyssey belt tensioner failed and caused the front head to go out of timing and slightly bend all 6 exhaust valves. No the belt did not break but a quarter inch of it frayed. So yes it is important to do the necessary maintenance at the correct time Honda says to do it. We bought this van in 2012 and part of the agreement was that the timing belt and all parts associated would be replaced. I took the belt in with the head and the belt was told to me that it was most likely the original belt.

I should have never asked to have the belt replaced and drop the purchasing price accordingly to have it done or do it myself. I am doing all this work myself and for giggles I called the Honda Dealer and their price to do the timing belt kit and labor would be 1370!!! geez.

I have done lots of Honda timing belts and I'm not sure how you could tell if a timing belt was original or not. Once any paint markings wear off of them, if there are any to start with, it's impossible to tell.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black-Totaled
    2012 VW Passat-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Did my 07 exl with 130k and 12 years on it. All components were good and belt looked perfect though seemed a little stiff. Hondas recommended interval has a significant safety factor in it, but what would happen if they cut that down to say 150k and 10 years? A lot more instances of broken belts and destroyed engines. Many could go close to 200k under the right conditions but if you want to wait till it actually breaks to replace it, thats penny wise and pound foolish.
    Do note what the service manual says on the matter: there are inspection holes on each cam cover. Inspect and replace if necessary. This doesnt tell you the state of everything but those other components usually make noise before failure.
    My conclusion was that the vast majority would easily make 130k but beyond that its an expensive risk.
    PS when I was in there I repacked both bearings on the serpentine idler/tensioner using a grease needle. Stupidly easy and highly recommended.

My timing belt failed last month, April 2019, at 123K miles...and I replaced the timing belt at 104K miles during the 100K service. That's only 19K miles and the timing belt snapped. Concord Honda performed the 100K service. They said since I've put 19K miles on the car since the timing belt was changed (warranty is 12mo/12k miles), I've exceeded the warranty and they won't fix the engine under warranty.

I ended up paying Dublin Honda $5k to put in a used engine. I will NEVER step foot in Concord Honda ever again

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements